3DCoat Forums

Make Human to 3DC

I just toyed around with a Make Human OBJ and figured out how to get it into 3DC.

1. Export your OBJ from make Human

2. Download Accutrans from http://www.micromouse.ca/index.htm

3. Open the model in Accutrans and save it back out as LWO

4. Open it in LightWave and copy paste all of the layers to layer 1. I deleted the eyelashes an eyebrows and left the eyes on their own layer (this is probably optional).

5. In LW's UV editor the UVs are all off of the grid. Go through each UV and move the polys back onto the grid.

6. Save out the LWO and load it into 3DC.

post-466-1215724737_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tutorial Phil!

Btw, that is one ugly configuration of a human model :D

(A mixture of a fat man with 6-pack and woman boobs?)

No prob. My client wants a cartoony "sad sack". So I came up with a rough approximation in MH, then I'm retopoing in 3DC and I'll tweak the retopo mesh to make it a little more cartoony.

• Advanced Member

I didn't see a thread that addressed simply Make Human - 3DC -- I assume it's spread throughout the messages here (or I missed it in my search of "Make Human."

Anyway, I haven't used Make Human much, but I noticed I could load the basic saved obj mesh directly into 3d-coat 2.092 and then save it as the 3d-coat file (.3b). Then it would load OK into the newest beta (2.10 A2B) both gl and dx. When I tried the Make Human mesh directly to the dx version, it also seemed to work, but the gl version was unrecognizable.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a list or description of problems with MH import to 3DC so I'll know what to look for as I use the software more?

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a list or description of problems with MH import to 3DC so I'll know what to look for as I use the software more?

Hey Jaf, sorry about that. It's towards the end of the latest beta thread. About half way down this page

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...=1183&st=60

Only one thing wrong that I could see, the model coming in as a black silhouette. Andrew said others were having problems too, so I wrote this up.

• Advanced Member

No problem Phil. I remember that post now. :D

I downloaded the file you provided and will try it tomorrow when I get back to my workstation. I would be interested to see if I get the same results since we have different brand video cards.

• Advanced Member

The model takes a very long time to load in the 2.10 beta's (rescales many times) but when it finally does load, it has what I believe are display artifacts. I don't believe the artifacts are part of the mesh -- I'll need to check that.

I loaded the model in UVMapper Pro and I got the message stating that there were UV coordinate problems -- do I want to correct? I selected yes and saved off the model with a new name. The new model then loaded quickly in the 2.10 betas, so I guess that was the problem with the slow loading. However, there were still black lines that weren't (I have to confirm this) part of the mesh.

I think the artifacts are a 3DC 2.10 beta problem, though it could also be an ATI driver problem. The mesh looks fine in the 3DC 2.092 release.

Oh, and a side note: UVMapper Pro seems to be a good program to re-write OBJ files. I've had a lot of luck fixing OBJ's that have problems loading in other 3D programs.

[edit] I forgot an important piece of information: when I imported the model and saw the problems, I had "smoothing" off. If I turn it on, the mesh problems are not obvious in a quick test. Also, they are indeed mesh problems, not 3DC display problems, since the problems stay with the mesh when exported to another rendering application.