3DCoat Forums

realtime AO

SonK

• Advanced Member
Realtime Ambient Occlusion would slow down 3dc,in fact, sometimes speed is a problem of 3dc.

Yes you'll need a highend graphics card for this type of feature. But you should be able to turn it ON or OFF..just like in Mudbox 2009.

• Advanced Member
After looking Mudbox video I have understood that they are using NV CUDA technology, othervice it is impossible to get the so performance. Of course that guy has a suppper PC (>4000$) but anyway, CUDA is supported even on my NV 8500 (70$). So I have kept an eye on this technology.

I doubt Autodesk mudbox team uses CUDA..because that would leave alot of ATI users out in the cold as far as Mudbox 2009 is concern..which isn't really good/smart for business. I hope to find out more at Siggraph.

I doubt Autodesk mudbox team uses CUDA..because that would leave alot of ATI users out in the cold as far as Mudbox 2009 is concern..which isn't really good/smart for business. I hope to find out more at Siggraph.

But from his word I see that - NIidia 8... is required for best performance and I know that CUDA is supported by NV8 series, so I think that NV 7 or ATI will work using software emulation.

• Advanced Member
But from his word I see that - NIidia 8... is required for best performance and I know that CUDA is supported by NV8 series, so I think that NV 7 or ATI will work using software emulation.

thats because Dave likes Nvidia :) . There is new video of same link. It says they are using CGfx shaders.

Realtime Ambient Occlusion would slow down 3dc,in fact, sometimes speed is a problem of 3dc.

Sry to ask Andrew, but why do you say AO would slow down 3DC ?

As Sonk mentioned it, couldn't it be driven through CGfx (though I realize a bit late shaders don't have real interpretation of the mesh itself :s, i'm not advanced at all in that chapter, only asking ...), thus leaving the GPU dealing entirely with it.

I must admit I was convinced the slow down was mainly due to highpoly mesh interpolation, so mainly RAM/Scratch concern isn't it ?

Dave claims he gets the same performance on a 8800gtx card....and I do believe he said they were not using Cuda.

But it is correct that mudbox will be more demanding on the GPU.

But even game engines like Unreal 3 are claiming to have real time Ambient Occlusion now.

Truth be told, Ambient Occlusion and any other shader have a very limited value unless they can be baked to a texture map.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, have you checked Parthenon renderer? It is a freeware renderer that uses the GPU, and also makes lightmaps using the GPU. His website also has interesting writings about using GPU for rendering and illumination stuff which you might possibly use in 3d-coat.

The lightmap (occlusion map) generation is very fast (even faster now, that I am using an ati hd4850)

http://www.bee-www.com/parthenon/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

if you could take a look a http://www.gpgpu.org/ they cite all advances in the gpu section, and in particular there is a software with a c++ ibrary ready to use called " faogen " check it link http://www.rusteddreams.net/faogen.html hope it will help integrating AO in 3DC if not realtime, a fast render button would suffice.

plus i saw few days ago at this link http://www.vimeo.com/1472943 a video demonstrating realtime ambient occlusion with XSI7 using vertex map.... No CUDA no special shader

and thank you for 3DC.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry for necroing.
I can suggest one tehnique we developed for our game engine, pretty fast and ultra accurate in the avilable tech level (not HBAO)

mask applyed to color buffer

AALDxm9.gif

If interesed i can share it privatly via skype or PM