3DCoat Forums

japanese facade

geo_n

• Advanced Member
Maybe 3dc architectural version with 4 viewports and more accurate tools for archi texturing. Hehe.

A quad viewport layout would be just awesome (with option to maximize the presenty active viewport with "Space" like

in Maya or 'Silo). I also support the wish for precision-tools.

• Advanced Member

I really like the textures, but given the power of 3DC, you should really add another layer of accents like dirt, water streaks, dust, wear on the floor, etc. Some translucency on the paneled doors wouldn't be bad either to allow some illumination to pass through the paper walls. Also, the rocks look like they are floating on the grass, some depth painted onto the grass around them could fix that. As neat as your render looks, this could be made in any app with planar or cube-mapping.

In terms of lighting though the shadows are way too soft for a cloudless blue sky. Bright sunlight = sharp exterior shadows, which makes it much easier to read a sundial. Cloudy sky - diffuse shadows. It's a dead giveaway of a cg scene to have soft shadows with a bright sky.

-Oliver

• Advanced Member

polyxo- Though I use lw, 3dsmax, and learning maya. i find the spacebar much useful for lw than for maya's spacebar expand tool. but anyway 3dc is a different beast.

Andrew- maybe some tools similar to cad like point snapping - midpoint, perpendicular, etc. Some array, offset tools. Since most archi stuff is boxy, I think vector painting tools like in illustrator would be nice.

Olliver - True the textures can be made in any app. But as Andrew knows, I'm a very lazy artist. What's more easier than importing a mesh, autouv and paint directly in 3dc? I hate uv mapping in any app and fixing, moving points. Haha.

The lighting is not hard shadows because the sky isn't blue, Its hazy hence the shadows are soft. Its very common actually. But I get your point of having hard shadows but I only see it with very blue sky. I was going for something like this and even added bloom in post

overcast.jpg

rather than this

caledonian_building_aw79.jpg

• Advanced Member
polyxo- Though I use lw, 3dsmax, and learning maya. i find the spacebar much useful for lw than for maya's spacebar expand tool. but anyway 3dc is a different beast.

Hi geo_n,

we all have very different modeling habits and work in a great variety of main modeling packages. That's why I said "option" I think it makes a lot of sense to stuff like that custumizable.

I for my am very used to pop up toolbars with click on MMB - therefor "my" space-bar would be free for another functionality I got very much used to :)

Holger

• Advanced Member
Hi geo_n,

we all have very different modeling habits and work in a great variety of main modeling packages. That's why I said "option" I think it makes a lot of sense to stuff like that custumizable.

I for my am very used to pop up toolbars with click on MMB - therefor "my" space-bar would be free for another functionality I got very much used to :)

Holger

yep. I wish they would just standardize these things instead of us trying to relearn them over and over. Lets hope autodesk buys the whole cg market. Hahaha

Lets hope autodesk buys the whole cg market. Hahaha

Yeah, that would fix things. <_<

Very nice work on the facade though. I've got a couple of projects on the back burner that are both Japanese architecture. One inside, one out.

• Advanced Member
yep. I wish they would just standardize these things instead of us trying to relearn them over and over.

I wouldn't want that. DCC programs and CAD programs have totally different workflows need different

interface solutions. We all have largely different personal preferences too. Making programs which are clearly companion programs adaptable

to the mainly used programs of the individual user made a lot more sense imo. Silo does that very consequently.

• Advanced Member
Yeah, that would fix things. <_<

Very nice work on the facade though. I've got a couple of projects on the back burner that are both Japanese architecture. One inside, one out.

I would love to see them. post them at newtek or sq.

• Advanced Member
I wouldn't want that. DCC programs and CAD programs have totally different workflows need different

interface solutions. We all have largely different personal preferences too. Making programs which are clearly companion programs adaptable

to the mainly used programs of the individual user made a lot more sense imo. Silo does that very consequently.

I was just kidding guys :lol: