3DCoat Forums

Freeze commands are still sluggish for me. For example I loaded the included sphere and painted a little scribble on it with the freeze brush. That is fine. Then I clicked Invert Freeze and counted 21 seconds before anything happened. I tried it again and used a stopwatch. This time the whole screen went black for 25 seconds.

Freeze commands are still sluggish for me. For example I loaded the included sphere and painted a little scribble on it with the freeze brush. That is fine. Then I clicked Invert Freeze and counted 21 seconds before anything happened. I tried it again and used a stopwatch. This time the whole screen went black for 25 seconds.

What is your mesh resolution? Maybe it is big and takes much time?

• Advanced Member

I have no trouble with freeze commands.the new beta works fine.

There are two small bugs:

---press '6',the model hides and shows,is it the hotkey of hide sub-object?

---In retopo mode,the function "incremental subdivision" seems have problem.

post-641-1217519754_thumb.jpg

That was with the default that came up for the sphere. I just tried it again with the lowest possible settings. 7.6 seconds

other included items at lowest resolution:

Man's head 5.6

Cube 9.8 (with black screen)

dodecahedron 16.5(black)

werewolf 10.1(black)

Of course it's not just Invert freeze, it's almost all of the freeze commands aside from painting, like Unfreeze All.

Here's a little video of the lowest res sphere:

http://screencast.com/t/STsJXf3S

"2) 3DC stores color, pen radius, depth, ... If you want to store some additional params just tell"

Andrew can you consider storing if you were using the 'Depth' and 'Specularity' in the brush, well how about storing all those brush values,

Strip, Masks, Material, Depth, Specularity. right now its annoying turning off Depth and Specularity every restart.

Also, how about remembering the brush type used, for example I only use the brush that 'Alters the depth depending on pen pressure' but of course 3dc, defaults to the first one. Remembering what brush type was used last would be very helpful.

And thanks for remembering the hotkeys for brush radius and such! working great. Also, I know this was already mentioned but being able to map Move and Rotate to hotkeys and remembering those settings would be very useful, it would free up the pen's buttons (which are currently the only solution to not putting your hand back on the mouse).

thanks!!

P.S. I see from above that philnolan3d wants similar things remembered as well. Might as well throw the top bar options in there as well Soft stroke, Radius, Falloff, Depth, Smoothing, Transparency, Specularity. I, like philnolan3d, use a similar Transparency every time, its a pain to keep changing..

thanks for implementing most of this stuff!

• Advanced Member

After installing Beta4D, 3D-Coat no longer imports multiple UV's correctly for me. It worked great a couple betas ago.

The wireframe shows in the texture editor, but it is all black and I cannot paint on it. The first UV is fine.

After installing Beta4D, 3D-Coat no longer imports multiple UV's correctly for me. It worked great a couple betas ago.

The wireframe shows in the texture editor, but it is all black and I cannot paint on it. The first UV is fine.

Do you mean "Import uv-set" or import with multiple uv-sets at all?

Does model displayed correctly, only uv-set editor/painter affected?

Same problem here. The model shows correctly only in one UV zone and the rest is black and it's not possible to paint on it.

I have no trouble with freeze commands.the new beta works fine.

There are two small bugs:

---press '6',the model hides and shows,is it the hotkey of hide sub-object?

---In retopo mode,the function "incremental subdivision" seems have problem.

Incremental subdiv works only if you want to inlrease subdiv on 1 level. In this case you are trying to increase it on 2 so it not works.

Low poly view - fixed, I will make update this evening.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,if you are not so busy,can you improve the draw by closed spline mode? the spline is not snapped to the surface of a model,when I change the view(navigating),it loses the area which i want(please have a look at the first attached pic).

if you want to improve it ,I have some ideas below:

To my way of thinking,in 'E' panel "draw by closed spline" mode is the rudiment of marqee.

------The splines should be snapped to the surface of a model just like draw strokes in retopo mode.

------The splines should have control points and can toggle hardness just like the draw with spline tool.

Andrew,please import the helmet obj file and have a try to select the red area on the second attached picture with the spline lasso,you will find it is a hard task.So snap to model /control points / toogle hardness is quite necessary.

-----If draw with spline lasso improves to marquee,it should have the ability to recognise the closed area automatically which mark out in the third attached picture.

-----About how to finish the spline, press enter would be best,just like the draw with spline tool

I know you are very busy and want to release 2.10 as soon as possilbe,but I think all the technique mentioned above you have already used in draw strokes tool and draw with spline tool, so it would not take you too much time.sorry for avaricious requests.

post-641-1217579838_thumb.jpg

post-641-1217580717_thumb.jpg

post-641-1217580775_thumb.jpg

Maybe I will improve it, but not today :)

I will be away (but with notebook) from 3 to 6 of august, maybe I will implement some small requests this time.

Btw, I have made very interesting feature (It took only several hours) - subpatching. Now, if you have good video card you can view mesh in very good quality - carcass resolution in viewport can be increated to almost unlimited value using subpatches 2x2, 3x3,4x4, NxN.... It is like subpatches in LW.

Maybe I will improve it, but not today :)

I will be away (but with notebook) from 3 to 6 of august, maybe I will implement some small requests this time.

Btw, I have made very interesting feature (It took only several hours) - subpatching. Now, if you have good video card you can view mesh in very good quality - carcass resolution in viewport can be increated to almost unlimited value using subpatches 2x2, 3x3,4x4, NxN.... It is like subpatches in LW.

I'm going to be receiving a Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB of Vram in the mail soon to replace my old Ati Card. Will 3d-Coat utilize OpenGL to make the feature you mentioned with subpatching fast? How high do you think I can get carcass resolution with this GPU and 8GB of Ram?

Thanks

I'm going to be receiving a Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB of Vram in the mail soon to replace my old Ati Card. Will 3d-Coat utilize OpenGL to make the feature you mentioned with subpatching fast? How high do you think I can get carcass resolution with this GPU and 8GB of Ram?

Thanks

Yes, 3DC will utilize all of this megapower. I think 16-20M carcass could be acieved in 32 bit version. When 64 bit 3DC will be done - there will be no limits.

The only thing - subpatching works only on paint level, sculpting does not utilizes subpatching. But it also could be done.

• Advanced Member

I tested this new beta, and for me there still be a big lack in the projection with the retopo tool.

On the area of the armpit the vertices are snapping on backface if I want to move them from the arm to the torso.

Sometime when I drag a vertex, it doesn't stick to the cursor, it goes away from the cursor, they doesn't move at the same speed.

And it could be nice to be able to see vertices everytime when you are in vertices mode, because for now you only see a vertex if you put your cursor over it.

And if you have some vertices who are alone (in the middle of an edge) you can't see them.

I tested this new beta, and for me there still be a big lack in the projection with the retopo tool.

On the area of the armpit the vertices are snapping on backface if I want to move them from the arm to the torso.

Sometime when I drag a vertex, it doesn't stick to the cursor, it goes away from the cursor, they doesn't move at the same speed.

And it could be nice to be able to see vertices everytime when you are in vertices mode, because for now you only see a vertex if you put your cursor over it.

And if you have some vertices who are alone (in the middle of an edge) you can't see them.

At least I have found polygon under arm on your 3B file :)

I will fix this problem tomorrow accurately.

I have uploaded new BETA - 4E

Changes:

1) Every tool now has own set of parameters - radius, depth, opacity... You can have different pen radius on different tools. It should speed up workflow.

2) Subpatching. Seek it in View->Adjust subpatching

3) Small bugfixes

4) Input subsystem is totally rewritten, I hope tablet problem shoul be solved (Lottmedia, please check)

Hi everyone.

I downloaded 3dc beta yesterday and gave the retopology tools a twirl. 15 minutes later I bought it, and got my registration code a few hours ago. I have a small feature request, but before that I need to mention something:

Being a software developer myself, I must say that no software made by a one-man shop has any right to be this good. Just in case there's any doubt, that was meant as a huge compliment. Thank you, Andrew.

Now to the feature request: "Open recent" in the file menu like the one in Photoshop would come in handy if it's not too much of a bother to implement. Sorry if it was mentioned before.

Good luck, and thanks again.

SS

Hi everyone.

I downloaded 3dc beta yesterday and gave the retopology tools a twirl. 15 minutes later I bought it, and got my registration code a few hours ago. I have a small feature request, but before that I need to mention something:

Being a software developer myself, I must say that no software made by a one-man shop has any right to be this good. Just in case there's any doubt, that was meant as a huge compliment. Thank you, Andrew.

Now to the feature request: "Open recent" in the file menu like the one in Photoshop would come in handy if it's not too much of a bother to implement. Sorry if it was mentioned before.

Good luck, and thanks again.

SS

Thanks!

Open recent was really forgotten, it really should be done. It is easy.

I have tested the new beta too and I have to agree with Mantis about the strange snapping behaviour of the retopology tool. I was retopologizing the hand of an old character I did in zbrush and I've seen that when I tried to adjust vertices created on a finger (with right mouse button) they tend to snap to other fingers... even 'split edge loop' suffer from this thing and newly created edge loops are a real mess when there's closed geometry in the original mesh.

I'm sure you can fix these problems as you did with the others in the past!