3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Painting textures with an image ?

Okay...first newbie question. ;-)

I've been trying to paint an image onto a mesh but have not been able to get the same result as in the tutorial. In the tutorial the image itself is what is painted on the mesh. Each time I try this, the color palette is forcing itself and I get the bumped information of the image (which is okay) and the color within the brush palette (which I don't want). I've tried to disable the color palette, among other things, but does not work for me.

Example. I model a rock. I have an image of the texture I want to paint on the rock as a custom pattern.

What setting am I missing?

Also, when I'm painting on the mesh, I can't seem to get the mesh to translate without affecting the image texture. This affects my control over the pattern. If I rotate my mesh the image is also moving. I want them to translate independently.

Thanks

Set the primary color in the Color Palette to white, to avoid tinting your Material - and hold the "Alt" key down ("option" on Mac) when navigating to move the model without moving the texture.

Make sure you have enabled only those "channels" (Depth, Diffuse Color, Specular Intensity) that you wish to transfer to your model.

Greg Smith

Set the primary color in the Color Palette to white, to avoid tinting your Material - and hold the "Alt" key down ("option" on Mac) when navigating to move the model without moving the texture.

Make sure you have enabled only those "channels" (Depth, Diffuse Color, Specular Intensity) that you wish to transfer to your model.

Greg Smith

Thanks Greg.

Seems to be working better. Now It's time for me to start working on the stretching I see around my mesh. Start with my UV layout. Check out some more tutorials.

The stretching occurs when your image starts to wrap around the object. It's correct where it conforms to the normals. Erase the stretch and rotate your object to paint in conformity to the normals.

Been playing around with some settings and getting different results. You reminded me...thanks.

It's coming back to me...slowly.

• Contributor

When using image projection to paint, a color will be added simultaneously unless you disable that function. To disable it, right-click on the color swatch icon at the top of the painting tool panel (this is NOT the same icon as the green ball icon above the viewport). A large "X" will appear over the color swatch, which means that it is disabled, and only the color of your image will be projected when painting.