3DCoat Forums

Creature 009

Rodney Brett

Here is my latest WIP. It's the result of many weeks of very hard work..Maya Hardware "low tech" game render.

Still working on my maps.(My spec map's kind of a hack) I've got him running(literally) in UT3 engine as well, but I will post that later. 3d-COAT is absolutely the best for painting game textures. It's got all the tools I need.

FinalA.jpg

FinalB.jpg

FinalC.jpg

I "concepted" the whole thing in 3d using Zbrush. It was an interesting approach, although a bit slow for me. I think next time, I'll hammer down a clear concept first. Here's some evolution of the fellow:

FinalD.jpg

Now, if you are interested in game animation, I animated 3 cycles for him and a complete demonstration can be downloaded here:

http://www.rodbrett.com/Rodney2/Creature009_FINAL.avi <==rightclick, save as...[/size]

If you don't mind the ".exe" file, you can look at an HD .bink file(windows only) here:

http://www.rodbrett.com/Rodney2/Creature009_FINAL.exe

I still want to make several optimizations, but I think I'll put it all on hold right now as I've been spending too much time with him and need to move on. One of the things I've learned from this project is how flexible the games character pipeline is these days. With the current gen of Maya/Max/Zbrush etc., I was able to concept, design the rig, animate, do texture work, all while making revisions to the model, UVmap, rig, etc. The ability to transfer maps color, normal or even skinweights between arbitrary meshes is awesome.

Software used:

MAYA

ZBRUSH

MUDBOX

3d-COAT/PHOTOSHOP for texturing

Thanks for looking.

-Rodney

www.youtube.com/RodneyBrett

Thanks. I am very fortunate to work with some ex-Pixar animators, they gave me some really good feedback on the motions..

Here's a shot of the 3d-Coat workspace with a 32bit displacement map loaded. The ability to load in displacement/normal maps while painting takes away a lot of the guesswork I used to do. It's also nice to have layer preservation, projection paint, ambient light control(very important for game art), and a seamless connection to Photoshop/Gimp/Painter. It's pretty much enough for me to let go of Zbrush for texture work.

FinalF.jpg

Great work!

I hope one day, software used are:

Maya

3d-coat

Haha! Well, we are going to have to see what Andrew's got up his sleeve for voxel sculpt. ;) It may be just those two, however, we have a great relationship with Autodesk at my work and Mudbox 2009 sets a pretty high bar to beat. The best thing Andrew's got going for him is his price point. I know of several smaller game production houses around the California area that would benefit from a more affordable alternative to Mudbox or Zbrush. Zbrush has got it's foot firmly in the industry right now, but they need to change the way they handle licensing which is a pain. Andrew's current licensing system is the best and it's hassle free.

• 4 weeks later...