3DCoat Forums

How to hide geometry groups on retopo workspace ?

• Contributor

First of all, I recommend using the latest Version 4 Beta of 3D-Coat. You can download it from this forum and use it with your Version 3 license for free until Version 4 is officially released.

In 3D-Coat, if you import your OBJ "for per pixel painting" (File menu) then:

1. Go to UV room.

2. In the Windows menu at the top, select Pop-ups, then choose Sub-Objects. A panel called "Objects" will appear. That panel will show each separate part of your OBJ. You can use the eyeball icon to toggle visibility of those parts.

If you have combined all of the parts in Maya, then there will only be one sub-object on the list. Therefore it may make sense for you to separate the necessary parts in Maya before you import into 3D-Coat. (In Maya this is done by selecting the faces you want and then going to the Mesh menu and then choosing Extract.)

3. In 3D-Coat you can also hide parts of your mesh with the Hide Tool. Go to the Hide menu and choose Activate Hide Tool. That will send you to the Paint Room where the Hide Tool is located. Brush on your mesh to hide parts. Then return to the UV room to continue your UV work. You can later unhide the parts that were hidden. (Hide menu -- Unhide All).

4. If you need more control than that, you can create a new project (File -- New) and instead import your OBJ into the Retopo Room. Do this by going to the Retopo Room, then in the Retopo Menu, choose Import. Then answer the prompts, and most importantly hit "Enter" to actually import the OBJ. Say "no" to snapping.

5. Once your mesh is in the Retopo Room you will have access to the Select Tool there. Click on the Select Tool and above the viewport you can choose Faces mode. Then use your brush to select Faces. In the Groups panel, you can create a new layer and then click on the icon for "Move selected faces to this layer". That will create a Retopo Group for those faces. You can toggle the visibility of those faces with the Eyeball icon on that layer. This is very similar to creating layers of polygons in Maya and hiding those layers.

6. You can still do UV work in the Retopo Room by clicking on any tool in the UV section of the tool panel there.

Edited by TimmyZDesign
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Sorry that I re-activate this old thread, but I have the same problem Erik had.

Sub-Objects method to hide parts of an object doesn't work for me. The sub-objects are displayed in the list, but clicking the eye icons next to them doesn't have any effect.There is an object labelled 'Default', when I click the eye icon next to it the entire object is hidden. None of the other eye icons have any effect.

Using the hide tool in the paint room is OK, but too cumbersome. 

3D Coat IMO needs the option to define selection groups and a separate list to re-select and hide them.

I have an object with several geometry groups that overlap, its not fun to texture this the way it is now. 

EDIT

I also can't paint with a material in the texture editor? Is this true?

Edited by wilson66

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem cannot hide any of the imported objects layers by clicking on the eye icon also the hide tool does not work, it is broken or i am missing something and they need to simplify the process, clicking the eye visibility should hide the object end of story no other menus or options should be involved. this and a few more issues are going to make me abandon 3d coat, which is a pity as it has huge potential.

• Carlosan changed the title to How to hide geometry groups on retopo workspace ?
  • 2 years later...