3DCoat Forums

question about mesh

ironman13

Hi there all,

I am trying to do a .obj morph. What I need to do is import the mesh and then export it at its original size and update vertices position only.

What I need to do is load the obj morph in either poser or daz studio. Can anyone suggest settings or is this possible?

Thanks again

Hi there all,

I am trying to do a .obj morph. What I need to do is import the mesh and then export it at its original size and update vertices position only.

What I need to do is load the obj morph in either poser or daz studio. Can anyone suggest settings or is this possible?

Thanks again

You can use that sequence:

1) Import mesh with "Preserve positions"

2) Modify vertices using paint or sculpt tools. You can use different layers for different morphs.

3) In export settings choose "Export resolution: Export low poly mesh", then press add morph and select morph source and layer that will be used as a morph. 3DC will create several meshes that corresponds to morphs count. Other way - simply export mesh and use it as a morph.

I must be doing something wrong. When I apply the morph in DAZ studio it loads but then it rips the head off when I intensify it. Perhaps I need to adjust the original input settings?

I know that is a factor in other sculpting programs.

By the way, thank you very much Andrew for the help. You really do a great job and this is a great program!

• 10 months later...

I can confirm the "ripping" of the base geometry when applying the morph target.

I followed the instructions by Andrew and the result of loading the morph target is that when it's applied the geometry is distorted dramatically. This happens not only for the modified parts but also for sections of the geometry that were not changed. I've seen this problem with other programs and it was in fact the reason why I recently updated the Blender's import/export plugins.

Andrew, in order to create a valid morph target we need an additional fix from you: the exported .OBJ file needs to be written by preserving the order of the original file and the faces/groups need to be saved as originally defined.

I checked the dimensions of the exported geometry and it respect the scale of the original .OBJ. In addition, the fact that unchanged vertices/faces are distorted by applying the morph target is a classic symptom that the morph has been written by changing the order of the vertices. Any idea if you will be able to add a "preserve vertex order" option in the export dialog?

TIA