3DCoat Forums

3D-COAT 2.10 BETA2 for MacOS (Intel) (corresponds to BETA5)

The next beta for MacOS is done.

It includes all features of BETA5 for Windows and even slightly better in some points - text tool font selection dialog allows realtime text preview.

3D-Connection support is not done but will be done very soon. The link is below:

http://www.3d-coat.com/Serega/3D-Coat-2-10-BETA2.dmg

Looks great Andrew. Looking forward to purchasing a license.

:D

The next beta for MacOS is done.

It includes all features of BETA5 for Windows and even slightly better in some points - text tool font selection dialog allows realtime text preview.

3D-Connection support is not done but will be done very soon. The link is below:

http://www.3d-coat.com/Serega/3D-Coat-2-10-BETA2.dmg

Tried it a bit yesterday, it's looking good so far. I'll do more tests today.

Edit:

It seems it can't import. I tried to import obj models but the mouse just has the newton's color disc without ever achieving to load the file. I tried it with the sample files, cube, sphere & dino, as well as some low poly models of my own.

System: Macbook pro, Santa Rosa intel core2duo 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 8600GT gpu, OSX 10.5.4

Another issue:

if I use a mask, when I move the camera too close to the model using alt + right mouse button, the mask resizes accordingly, but at some point the camera actually goes through the mask, and the mask starts resizing in an odd fashion losing the previous mask/model ratio. That happens without touching the mask's magnifying glass.

As a result it becomes too small until it can't be seen in the editor any more, and I have to reset the size of the mask, and try to figure out what was the exact previous size.

It is good. I am trying to understand exactly the problem. Please try to open sphere from thumbnail and then import some image from menu.

File->Import/export textures->Load texture

Does it works?

Nope, that doesn't work either. I just get Newton's disc again.

Same freeze (crash) issue here, (with import before or after default object loads) and also if a test project is made to test "open".

2X2.66 GHz Duel Core Mac, OSX 10.5.4

It seems like there is problem with file open dialogs on Leopard. But please tell, when you have loaded model using thumbnails panel (for example sphere), can you save it using “File > File save as”? Can you save its texture using “File > Import/export textures > Save texture”? Do you see “Save File Dialogs”? Do they have correct initial folder (“UserData”)? Can you change extension with dropdown (tga, bmp, jpg, png, dds) when you save texture?

• Advanced Member

Played around a little today. A couple of things.

I've attached two pics that show some oddities (to me anyway).

When I hit Keep UV (which I think I would need because I want to keep the UVs I made in the original file) I get a model with a checkerboard on it.

When I hit Keep Clusters it seems to come in fine.

Also, is there a difference in drawing displacements and "drawing" in sculpt mode?

I can't seem to find when I can stop the pen pressure. For instance, if I hold the LMB too long in sculpt mode the mesh grows a lot on the spot I'm on on the model.

post-650-1219015256_thumb.png

post-650-1219015288_thumb.png

Played around a little today. A couple of things.

I've attached two pics that show some oddities (to me anyway).

When I hit Keep UV (which I think I would need because I want to keep the UVs I made in the original file) I get a model with a checkerboard on it.

When I hit Keep Clusters it seems to come in fine.

Also, is there a difference in drawing displacements and "drawing" in sculpt mode?

I can't seem to find when I can stop the pen pressure. For instance, if I hold the LMB too long in sculpt mode the mesh grows a lot on the spot I'm on on the model.

Models with mirrored uv-set should be imported with Keepclusterd. During export original uv-set will be used.

It seems like there is problem with file open dialogs on Leopard. But please tell, when you have loaded model using thumbnails panel (for example sphere), can you save it using File > File save as? ...[snip]

Yes, "save as" works here. Other Questions -- I have not learned enough details about this type of 3D software, yet, so cannot answer... I am stuck on 12 years of vector type CAD and have many other preoccupations besides...... Instead of "game modeling" i am a concrete builder (real life).

It would be nice to keep your video tutorials a while longer, slow download here. Is there a way to save videos for a few weeks?

Bo Atkinson

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to paint smoothly without having to actually smooth afterwards?

I've tried all the smoothing options and it's never as smooth as when you smooth after drawing. (A lot of "smooths" in there!)

Not a big deal, but it would eliminate a step.

“Leopard” users, please inspect text tool. After problem with file open dialogs it seems like there are essential differences between “Tiger” and “Leopard” (we have developed 3D-Coat on “Tiger”). Does text tool work correct?

Not 100% sure how the text tool works, but I think it's working fine.

Also open/import seems to be working ok now. I got some weird black spots with transparent edges on my model when I imported, I'll try it with another model too. They were almost gone though, when I remade the UVs in 3D Coat. Are the UVs to blame? The UVs were very bad btw, I haven't finished the model so I haven't layed the UVs yet.

Not 100% sure how the text tool works, but I think it's working fine.

Also open/import seems to be working ok now. I got some weird black spots with transparent edges on my model when I imported, I'll try it with another model too. They were almost gone though, when I remade the UVs in 3D Coat. Are the UVs to blame? The UVs were very bad btw, I haven't finished the model so I haven't layed the UVs yet.

uv set is important, 3DC requires uv-set to paint. Btw 3DC has not bad uv-tool. Al least it is very easy to use. Look at tutorial:

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1068

or there

http://207.44.140.6/~dcoat/Tutorials/Unwra.../UnwrapTool.htm

Thanks for the links Andrew, I'll check them out.

Meanwhile, I tried with another model, with proper UVs (at the very least they're not on top of each other), from Cinema 4D library. I still got those black marks with the transparent edges, here's a screenshot. By the way there was no material file along with the uv, it was just the obj. Dunno if that's supposed to happen or if that's a beta problem:

meg1oo9.th.jpg meg2ki1.th.jpg

Look at View->View edit tweak textures and uv-sets. There you can see how uv-set looks. Every cluster (island) has small border around. Usulayy black artefacts arise due to small distance between islands or because of uv-overlaps.

Also what resolution do yu use for texture? I recommend to use as big as possible and decrease with sharp on the final stage of work.