3DCoat Forums

Don't upgrade that NVidia card just yet...

• Reputable Contributor

I actually discovered recently, that the large brush lag (on 4k+ maps) in the Paint Room.....vanished (for the most part)....when I used an Intel i7 instead of an AMD Phenom X6. It was indeed a limitation of the CPU. Mostly AMD's. Back around Siggraph 2010, I recall some talk about Andrew using some Intel libraries. I guess AMD CPU's don't have access to those or Intel has some wicked prefetch voodoo going on with their CPU's.

On paper, the AMD CPU I was using, was neck and neck with this i7 950, in most benchmarks, including Cinebench and others. And the 670 has a higher framerate overall, but is really, really crappy with wireframe, and I suspect with CUDA. When I threw my old GTX 275 in, it seems to perform smoother, when sculpting with Voxels. I think some of your issues with sculpting could be a little bit on the hardware side, too.

• Contributor

You cpu thing is why I never go with amd on cpu (nor cards mind you but for other reasons ;)) . They can claim performance over intel hardware, intel has always put some optimized libs out there, and it's always integrated in cpu intensive apps... I remember the SSE II/III days, when you didn't want to use amd for that reason alone, the perf boost was pretty dope...

• Advanced Member

Ah now we're talking ! Proprietary gpu/cpu acceleration is the way to go if you absolutely want to benefit from those component.

I completely agree with this. If Andrew would do it himself I think thats a good effort rather than relying on third party.

• Reputable Contributor

I would be happy if the brushing and large edit operations in the Voxel Room (Move, Transform, Primitives w/ Models pallet, and Pose Tool), all were OpenGL and/or DX accelerated, instead. Somehow, Mudbox is doing it and I don't know if they have moved to DX 10 o 11, or still on 9.

I think a move to DX11 or OpenGL 3-4 overall would be good move. Both have been out for 3-4yrs now, and all newer games are written for them. DX9 is about 10yrs old now.