3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
ok, agree. Not difficult to fix.

Thanks, :lol: I think i should stop with the feature request, i know you really want to start full speed on 3.0 development!

• Advanced Member
Ok will do tonight when I get back to my mac

Ok Im losing my mind :huh:

I decided to open the model on my PC here at work to work on it. Opened fine in gl mode. Was working for a while, tried to do some smoothing and boom xp decided to crash to the point the computer rebooted. I thought ok no problem stuff happens ;)

Reloaded the model in GL mode and now it is doing the same thing as my mac. The head model texture is invisible and only the eyes are visible. The only difference is no slow down to the computer. I tried the DX version and the model loads fine. I will send you the log files Andrew.

this is a

Dell XPS 700

Invida 7950 GX 2

4 gigs of ram

I decided to open the model on my PC here at work to work on it. Opened fine in gl mode. Was working for a while, tried to do some smoothing and boom xp decided to crash to the point the computer rebooted. I thought ok no problem stuff happens ;)

Reloaded the model in GL mode and now it is doing the same thing as my mac. The head model texture is invisible and only the eyes are visible. The only difference is no slow down to the computer. I tried the DX version and the model loads fine. I will send you the log files Andrew.

this is a

Dell XPS 700

Invida 7950 GX 2

4 gigs of ram

It seems that:

DX version works well with big textures

GL version works bad with big textures

It may mean that video drivers are old... (as SonK mentioned)

We are trying to reproduce it... I will tell the result.

• Advanced Member
Please download 2.10.03 - I think there is no this problem. Please check.

There is still the same problem. Do you want me to email you my computer settings, etc? It is not so much a problem, I can use the OpenGL version meanwhile...

• Advanced Member

this is a

Dell XPS 700

Invida 7950 GX 2

4 gigs of ram

I wonder if its something wrong with your mesh? Maybe you can email Andrew the mesh plus all the texture. But first check to see if you have the latest driver, for this card it's 175.19(release in July,2008), it may resolve the issue. Likewise with your Mac, check for updated drivers. It could be that your card is just too low end to handle so many materials,texture, polygons on scene(but i don't have a low low end card to test this theory).

XP driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

I wonder if its something wrong with your mesh? Maybe you can email Andrew the mesh plus all the texture. But first check to see if you have the latest driver, for this card it's 175.19(release in July,2008), it may resolve the issue. Likewise with your Mac, check for updated drivers.

I don't think it is model - related because it works with DX version. It is very often situaton that GL is badly supported in older drivers.

• Advanced Member
I wonder if its something wrong with your mesh? Maybe you can email Andrew the mesh plus all the texture. But first check to see if you have the latest driver, for this card it's 175.19(release in July,2008), it may resolve the issue. Likewise with your Mac, check for updated drivers. It could be that your card is just too low end to handle so many materials,texture, polygons on scene(but i don't have a low low end card to test this theory).

XP driver: <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html" target="_blank">http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html</a>

Yea I thought something could be wrong with the mesh but this happens on other meshes as well and seems to be linked to multiple textures.

About the nvida drivers; nvida does not supply drivers directly to mac users. If there is an update to a graphics driver on the mac it is provided by apple through software updates and firmware updates.

Yea I thought something could be wrong with the mesh but this happens on other meshes as well and seems to be linked to multiple textures.

About the nvida drivers; nvida does not supply drivers directly to mac users. If there is an update to a graphics driver on the mac it is provided by apple through software updates and firmware updates.

I am still trying to understand if texture size 4K caused problem. Please try to change textuires resolutions in View menu to 2k x 2k. Will it help to avoid lags?

• Advanced Member

Here is an example screen shot of what happens on the windows XP machine. The onlly way to see the head is to go into the fill tool and use the preview window. The XP machine has no lag only the mac. Changing the resolution to 2kx2k will show the model and remove the lag.

post-488-1219938653_thumb.jpg

Here is an example screen shot of what happens on the windows XP machine. The onlly way to see the head is to go into the fill tool and use the preview window. The XP machine has no lag only the mac. Changing the resolution to 2kx2k will show the model and remove the lag.

It means that there is not enough video memory...

Please look at BIOS settings - AGP aperture size (or something like that) and set bigger value.

You can calculate by itself - everi pixel on texture takes 8 bytes, so

2048x2048 takes 32 mb

4096 x4096 takes 128 mb

+ 10-15 m are used for 3DC itself...

• Advanced Member
It means that there is not enough video memory...

Please look at BIOS settings - AGP aperture size (or something like that) and set bigger value.

You can calculate by itself - everi pixel on texture takes 8 bytes, so

2048x2048 takes 32 mb

4096 x4096 takes 128 mb

+ 10-15 m are used for 3DC itself...

Hard to believe its not enough video ram this is the dell XPS with a dual nvida 7950 1 gig cards. Im not running them in SLI mode.

Whats interesting about the XP machine is that in loads fine in GL mode 70% of the time.

One thing I should mention is im running dual monitors here at work and on my mac at home I dont know if that is a problem or not.

2 Deadman21

About problem with 4096 x 4096 texture on your Mac. It seems like your video driver doesn’t support such big textures. I have the same symptoms on my 10.4.8 Mac OS with 7600 GT, but only with texture 8192 x 8192 which, of course, is not supported by the video driver. So you need to update video drivers. Yeah. You are right. Drivers for Mac OS are provided by “Apple” through software updates. Why you can’t use them? Your Mac OS 10.4.5 is obviously outdated. Also, there are unofficial methods. One of them is “NVInject” package. But before installing it you should carefully read instructions on site http://nvinject.free.fr/. Specifically, draw attention that you need manually delete previous “kext” files of your video driver, and copy new “kext” files with appropriate administrative rights!

• Advanced Member
2 Deadman21

About problem with 4096 x 4096 texture on your Mac. It seems like your video driver doesnt support such big textures. I have the same symptoms on my 10.4.8 Mac OS with 7600 GT, but only with texture 8192 x 8192 which, of course, is not supported by the video driver. So you need to update video drivers. Yeah. You are right. Drivers for Mac OS are provided by Apple through software updates. Why you cant use them? Your Mac OS 10.4.5 is obviously outdated. Also, there are unofficial methods. One of them is NVInject package. But before installing it you should carefully read instructions on site <a href="http://nvinject.free.fr/" target="_blank">http://nvinject.free.fr/</a>. Specifically, draw attention that you need manually delete previous kext files of your video driver, and copy new kext files with appropriate administrative rights!

Thanks for the link

Also My mac is up to date I think my dyslexia took over my brain when I stated I was on 10.4.5 I ment 10.5.4 Leopard :rolleyes: sorry

Update to problem

At work I used the XP machine and removed the eyes from the model (they were separate objects with 2048x2048 textures and left only the head at 4096x4096). At home on my mac I was able to load the model without a problem no slow down and was able to work just fine. I guess the eyes were tipping the video card over the edge.

Any way I have a good excuse to upgrade to the 8800 nvidia card now LOL :rolleyes:

Thanks again for such great software and Mac support. I wish yall could get some exposure on some of the Mac podcasts and forums

heres the head WIP rendered in Carrara 6

post-488-1219970467_thumb.jpg

post-488-1219970633_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the link

Also My mac is up to date I think my dyslexia took over my brain when I stated I was on 10.4.5 I ment 10.5.4 Leopard :rolleyes: sorry

Update to problem

At work I used the XP machine and removed the eyes from the model (they were separate objects with 2048x2048 textures and left only the head at 4096x4096). At home on my mac I was able to load the model without a problem no slow down and was able to work just fine. I guess the eyes were tipping the video card over the edge.

Any way I have a good excuse to upgrade to the 8800 nvidia card now LOL :rolleyes:

Thanks again for such great software and Mac support. I wish yall could get some exposure on some of the Mac podcasts and forums

heres the head WIP rendered in Carrara 6

Good!

At least some solution. I think 4k for eyes is really too much :lol: