3DCoat Forums

How you detail this model? (challenge)

Juan Carlos Montes

• Advanced Member
Very funny!

I like concept :) It is so pity that I have no time to paint. I can imagine how it will look in arms of professional.

Can I include "him" in Samples folder? I think it is better model then default wolf.

Hi Andrew,the smooth of 3DC is so strange.there always sharp edges... What's wrong?The picture below.

post-445-1220017836_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Maybe there is sharp edges in source file. Use "Ignore smooth groups"

Thanks,that works! So if Juan Carlos agree to include this model in Samples folder,Andrew don't forget to make the default setting "Ignore smooth groups" for this model.

• Advanced Member
I have attached OBJ without smoothing groups. And 5 min to draw programmmerZ wip :)

creature OBJ file is there.

And my 5-min LOL is there

ProgWip.jpg

btw, found bug in AO - light direction is wrong. So, very useful painting :)

Wow you did that in 5 minutes?

lol looks like a character from the muppets

Andrew I have no problem adding this model in 3d coat :)

Here is my progress.

post-426-1220107677_thumb.jpg

Andrew I retopo the model again to have more details in the ears, But am not able to export the low poly mesh only the textures :S.

I send you the file, you can check the file on monday.

Nice details!

Yes, send me, I will heal the problem :) Btw, I have made new page using your GREAT dino model - http://www.3d-coat.com/news2_10.html

Great thanks!!!!!

• Advanced Member

Nice Andrew. Coool to see my Dino in the new features :).

post-426-1220145798_thumb.jpg

I increase tha carcas resolution, looks much better, I this this test render in carrara.

I don't remember what I did but i think i use the model did in retopo and fix it in hexagon, and export the depth, an put every thing together in 3d coat.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
Wow! I love result!

Maybe top part seems to be too uniform. Maybe light cavity will help.

Or maybe blob at the top can be transformed to horn to break uniformity:)

Yes I will do that,I need to Break the symmetry to ,Andrew I upgrade to Xp64, Now I can use 3dcoat with out memory limitations :)

• 4 months later...
  • Advanced Member

My turn! I used the creature mesh to practice and learn using 3D-Coat. :)

post-1255-1231508555_thumb.jpg post-1255-1231508565_thumb.jpg post-1255-1231509032_thumb.jpg

Comments on what techniques I used:

- The blue skin is the default "elephant skin" material painted thru the material mask. Tried some other materials on the back too.

- I used Retopo / Use Current to add an extra edge loop for the eye. The texture from the old model was projected to the new retopoed one. Handy!

- The rings around the trunk were painted by using the "Draw with splines" tool. It's easy to draw the spline around cylindrical shapes like these.

- I used Cavity / Height masking in various places to put color / specularity in heights and cavities

- I Froze the skin on the feet to draw the "trouser leg" edge.

- The pink scale pattern on the creature's belly was a Hexagon volumetric fill, applied by freezing the belly, then inverting the freeze pattern to freeze everything but the belly

- You see some inadvertent flaws here and there. They were caused by the Clone Tool menu click bug, and were not undoable. :(

- I could have broken the symmetry on the creature's back by painting over it, but I didn't... :rolleyes:

All in all, it was a great learning experience.