3DCoat Forums

Is anyone teaching 3d Coat in a live class?

I was wondering, is there anyone teaching a live workshop in 3d Coat? Something that's geared towards beginners? No offense to all the video training, but I find that I'm more old fashioned in my learning techniques where I like to have a live instructor for basic learning. I'm not saying that the video training isn't great --cause it is, but I find that it would have greater benefit if I had a solid grasp of the fundamentals before watching them.

I am talking about the continental United States, when I mention training. I don't mind traveling --in fact I like the idea of making it a hobby vacation to spend 3-5 days somewhere learning this software before going back to look at the tutorials. I really think it would be a great benefit to have something that focused on the modeling, then have another workshop on painting, etc. That way if you want to learn this or that you can mix and match and learn as you like. However, I haven't seen anything like that yet, so I thought I would ask the community at large and see if anyone else knew of something like that.

• Advanced Member

If it's a good class that is not too specific to the instructor's project, I would be interested as well. Even though I've been using it for awhile I'm sure there are a few holes in my knowledge that would benefit from something like this.

The online class would also need to be at least a little interactive in some way allowing submitted questions to be answered...

Yeah. I've been looking for one for a while. Everyone seems to want to jump right into a lot of super complex projects right away, but I'm looking to learn the very basics. I honestly wouldn't mind if the class started out with modeling a coffee cup or something like that, instead of trying to jump into something so in depth like modeling a human or a creature. The trouble seems to be that people are so excited about what they can do, they lose sight of all of us who have no idea of how to do the simpler things. I'd love to see someone start with really simple projects that allow you to go slow without looking at the whole mountain.

That's where having a teacher makes the difference. A good teacher will start you off with the simple things and progress you to more interesting and challenging projects after you've mastered the basics. Plus interacting in a classroom with others allows you to put what you learn in context and associate other things with it to help you remember as you build skills. I think the tutorials can be made into a great addition once you've got a handle on the basics, but a lot of people end up discouraged because they don't get the nuances of the software environment that can only be had with vast experience or a patient teacher. To me nothing is more frustrating to look at all the options the software has and not know what half of them are for, or when to use them.

At this point, I wouldn't even mind paying for some one on one coaching if it could be done in person.

I was doing live 3DC webinars (and planned to expand to live classes) but had some conflict with kurv over it. Alas, it died because of said conflict.

Since then I have done one on one over skype, which seems to work out OK. Though my time recently has been dominated by other things and haven't had time to get back to training over skype. That said, I am certain I wont be doing live training that is in a webinar or more than one person format, over the web. If I did any classes, it would be live, in person, for a whole group. or one on one as usual over skype. Time permitting.

• 6 years later...

Why is nobody teaching or even using 3D Coat. Zbrush has become more popular with days and it's unlikely to see a decent tutorial for 3D Coat. Not mentioning Jama Jurabaevs' Learn squared classes and there're practically a few more courses that can help you from the very beginning.

https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21837-concept-art-with-illustrator-and-dissertationwriter-jama-jurabaev/

I wanted to start teaching an online course last year, but due to the lack of materials I gave up (I tried to improve my 3D Coat projects in Modo then) and besides, I'm an amateur - people usually want licensed professionals to teach them. Anyone here who is planning to launch similar courses soon? I could share the materials I collected while preparing my own program.

Edited by RandyBonnette