3DCoat Forums

Oh Sorry Andrew the crash was for 32bit DX and GL, I didn't know it was new 64 bit shortcuts, I was running the wrong exe.

I didn't have any trouble with 64 bit version. :)

Oops, yeah, same thing here. Didn't see the 64 bit version had installed. 32-bit still crashes.

Vista 64 Ultimate

• Advanced Member
Anyway, now I am making essential optimization on memory usage, I think memory consumption will fall at least 2x.

Also on 32 bit version?

I hope yes,as now I don't have 64 bit os

If you can optimize the memory as you said your tool will be at very high level,for example on my 32 bit system I can't sculpt with the new mudbox much more than what I do with 3d coat 3 alfa,so if you improve that you can overtake mudbox.

First time I tried the alpha... big fun to play with! Had to see how many polys I could get with my setup:

vista 64 ultimate

geforce 8800 gt 1024mb

8 gb RAM +(12 gb fixed virtual memory on dedicated HDD)

3d coat alpha 39 (GL)

Result: 91 mill triangles before the gl-driver wanted me to shut down 3DC... too bad I didn't take a snapshot at 90 mill cuz it was still fairly responsive and smooth.

That is a good start IMHO ;)

Crash here too. With the GL and DX version

AMD Dual core laptop, 4Gb ram, ati video card.

Vista 32bit home premium.

Right before the crash, after I clicked on Volumetric Sculpting, the little info window at the top said "You are trying to paint over an invisible layer", and then the emergency save and crash dialog came up.

Just curious :rolleyes:

Will the Mac OS X versions be 64 bit. Mac OS X is 64 bit and 32 bit in one OS. Just curious

Not at the moment, Apple stuffed up their implementation of 64bit under MacOSX, and thus nobody can really make true 64bit software to run inside Mac currently.

(not the way it's meant to be done anyway)

About 64-bit for OSX - there is no big problem. If it supported with 10.4 then we will do it soon. If only by 10.5 then slightly later, when we will buy MacBookPro with 10.5. I want to buy new alluminium Mac but it is no available in Ukraine... I can buy older models but they are 50% more expensive then in USA. So currently we use PC with 10.4. 10.5 rejects to be installed there.

Also, it seems that 32-bit V39 does not work at all, only 64-bit. I will update it today, now it is totally resembled.

Updated to V40.

Changes:

1) Less memory consumption, especially in 64-bit version

2) Bugfixes, stability improvements. Now all painting (non-volumetrix) functions work well in 64-bit mode.

3) "Invert tool action" in most of volumetric brushes - it is like sticky CTRL

4) In "Increase resolution" you will be notified how much memory is required to perform operation.

Can the installer be modified to either detect 64bit and place it in the right folder, or give an option to install 32 / 64 bit? Or I guess it could install both if it could install them in the correct Program Files folder.

64 bit version still doesn't load. Same error I posted the image of above, missing dx9 DLL file.

GL version loads fine.

I got up to 28 mil tris before nVidia crashed it. It seemed like the tools like Spray were kind of sluggish even at 15,000 though.

Cool,Andrew,about five days you make 64bit version,how many days will you make cuda support?

I will take a guess and say quite a while... :)

I have been involved in CUDA development for about 12months and for Andrew he's code will require quite a rewrite. ( I imagine)

CUDA is still limited by many many technical limitations, getting a good speedup via CUDA even when rewriting code,

is not always easy.. Sometimes the benefits of speedups are lost to the stupidity of the limitations.

I imagine Andrew will want to thoroughly test it and work around these issues, which could be a long process.

But i hope that Andrew's Genius will handle it with the same professionalism and speed that he shows elsewhere. :)

But in comparison to 64bit there is a lot more coding changes to be done in the CUDA enhanced versions.

• Advanced Member

Scott,I am not a programmer,and I don't know how difficult to make cuda support.

But nvidia said, because cuda is a C language environment, programmers can easily prepare CUDA software and enhance the performance surprisingly.

Andrew is so skilled on C language and has also play with cuda for about two months, hope he can make cuda support not so difficult and spend too many time on it .I don't want to give he any pressure,he has too many things to do on his list,I hope he can take care of himself and have a complete rest after

3dc v3 came out.

I hope with cuda support,3dc can enhance the performance and beat zbrush and mudbox , make larger market.

Does the 64 bit version is inside the normal version or there are some versions? (32...64...)

Why not add the number and details of news in the first post? :)

Because this thread is a big one :lol:

The installer includes all versions, so there are 4 EXE files installed to Program Files, DX 32, DX 64, GL 32, GL 64.

Hello,

I only came across 3d-coat a few days ago- I'm trying out the demo and think it's excellent and am going to buy asap. Not tried the v3 alpha yet however but I like the wip's. Anway just wanted to say hello and thanks for developing this amazing program, so please keep up the good work Andrew :)

Okay I'll try (not much convincing needed ;) ). Actually I was going to wait until my demo of the normal version expired as I thought the alpha had a time limit but I've just seen in a previous post that it doesn't anymore. But also seeing as this morning while eating breakfast I decided I'm going to buy it anyway, I think I will give the alpha a whirl right now..

I've never even tried zbrush or mudbox as I've been in no-mans land for the past three years, so I can't wait to try this voxel sculpting out. I'll stop wasting time typing now

That's a shame. It crashes before it even starts. Tried using on both GL and DX, the splash screen logo comes up and it looks like it's trying to load the interface but then it changes its mind and crashes. I've searched this thread quickly and think it maybe because I need to be already a registered user of the full normal version first. Also in the error report blurb it says 'Can't load license.dat', or something to that effect.

That's a shame. It crashes before it even starts. Tried using on both GL and DX, the splash screen logo comes up and it looks like it's trying to load the interface but then it changes its mind and crashes. I've searched this thread quickly and think it maybe because I need to be already a registered user of the full normal version first. Also in the error report blurb it says 'Can't load license.dat', or something to that effect.

Hmm.. I was prettysure you could use the alpha as a trial. Maybe I'm wrong.

No. Only NVidia 8+,9+,2+, Ouadro FX...

But demo samples are so impressive... It is impossible to resist.

cuda, i was hoping ati would support it by now, but they want to push there own software,... figures...

"ati stream"

too bad, i was really looking forward to this

Started to play with CUDA. I can't postpone this topic. It is important for speed and for marketing. At least I must to know what can I expect from this technology, is it so cute as I expect or no.

I hope to upload first results soon.

Lol @ Cute comment, You are an animal.... :) Cannot wait to see what kind of results you get.

does CUDA work on ATI cards?

Not at the moment, but in the next version of CUDA, Cuda should emulate on the CPU.

It means Andrew can code a single CUDA.exe that will work on Nvidia in CUDA mode, but also if an Ati or Intel card is found.

At the moment the .exe will have to be separate for Ati and Nvidia users.

ATi/Apple/AMD and the Kronos group will likely adopt similar ideas for their own open standard of OpenCL.

PS... Andrew Linux is available in 64bit for quite some time, and also has support for OGL and CUDA.