3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
You can easily reach the same amount of polygons in 3DCoat, but it seems that increase resolution doesn't work properly.

I was able to reach 70Millions tris by scribbling my screen with Sphere tool before I was bored to do so, but I am stuck at around 17-18 tris with increase resolution, I can go further it always crash.

And I also had 8GB memory.

well thats good to know :) I hope Andrew fix that issue asap. But i think he is busy having fun with CUDA. :lol: . 70 million triangles?that 35 million quads! this should be more the enough for me.

Ugg, I keep saving in the defualt user folder then uninstalling and it deletes everything I've done >.< hours down the drain. I keep doing this every version >.<, I know I should have learnt by now, but no bodies perfect.

Anyway you can change the defualt folder or leave files 3dcoat didn't install?! Or better still anyway I can retreive that work? A whole day gone down the drain >.<

Usually uninstaller does not deletes UserData folder. Only very old installers delete it. I have tried to uninstall alpha and UserData remained. What version have you used?

• Advanced Member
Good news. CUDA really speeds up much. I can easily paint with sphere radius=40. For now I have implemented sphere tool and not all optimizations was done, but advantage is obvious.

that sounds great, i wonder if CUDA will help with loading and navigating around heavy mesh? I hope you focus also on memory optimization, in the picture i wanted to use increase resolution(required 4,000 mb of free ram, i had 10,000 mb of free ram, but the operation still fail). BTW, i'm running Vista 64-bit with 8GB of ram.

post-564-1227092035_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
I hope voxel simplification is soon. Not everyone wants static high poly mesh. Retopo takes long for complex model.

Btw, do all nvidia cards support cuda?

Yep, this is the feature I'm most looking forward to next.

Oh, that and a nice panel of primitives to choose from. :)

Parametric primitives would be lovely, but that's probably asking far too much at this stage.

• Advanced Member

Parametric primitives would be lovely, but that's probably asking far too much at this stage.

i'm also looking for parametric primitives :cubes, spheres, ellipses, tubes, pipes, and revolved surfaces.

Mesh Reduction and Auto Unwrapping

Hi, Andrew:

I do remember you talking about automatic mesh reduction in conjunction with auto unwrapping as a solution for those who don't need to retopo or export their sculptures, but simply want to model something and then paint, texture and render it - all within 3D-Coat. You know, functionality for those who just want to create static "works of art" using 3d-Coat.

Is this still something you intend to include in the Alpha version of 3.0? I hope so, because I don't intend to produce incredibly high poly meshes, and the meshes I will need to export will be of the low poly kind with displacement added. I think there may be others who want to use 3D-Coat in both of these ways.

Psmith

• Advanced Member
I think there may be others who want to use 3D-Coat in both of these ways.

Posting to say that I was looking to use this feature the other day. I'm also hoping this feature will get added.

It would be great for rapidly creating prop objects like asteroids and boulders, or other such "simple" objects where the topology isn't really important but you need to make a large quantity of.

• Advanced Member
Mesh Reduction and Auto Unwrapping

Hi, Andrew:

I do remember you talking about automatic mesh reduction in conjunction with auto unwrapping as a solution for those who don't need to retopo or export their sculptures, but simply want to model something and then paint, texture and render it - all within 3D-Coat. You know, functionality for those who just want to create static "works of art" using 3d-Coat.

Is this still something you intend to include in the Alpha version of 3.0? I hope so, because I don't intend to produce incredibly high poly meshes, and the meshes I will need to export will be of the low poly kind with displacement added. I think there may be others who want to use 3D-Coat in both of these ways.

Psmith

I second this. I do alot of stills and dont need correct edge loops and things like that, just need to get a low poly mesh with displacement easily. :)

I just finished retopoing the John Carter WIP and that took forever. http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...amp;#entry11627

• Advanced Member

I think the primitives will be easy to implement. I hope voxel simplification is successful. Its been a long time since andrew mentioned it but he also posted he has it coded already. Really don't want to end up with messy voxel meshes exported out of 3dc.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

Not to be pushy,but any update on CUDA experiment? I already install CUDA SDK/toolkit just so i'm ready for it. I'm using Quadro 178.46 driver with a modded .INF on my GTX 260(hope this won't be a issue).

Do any MAC users have the Transpose widget working? I can select the area to be transposed but don't see the widget anywhere.

Are you sere that you are using V38? Because there was problems with transpose in earlier versions. Also, if V38, please attach file log.txt. I am sure problem is in shaders only.

• Advanced Member
A question to OSX users

I am about to order notebook MB470 with OSX 10.5.4. My main purposes - support CUDA and 64-bit in 3D-Coat.

A question: Are you able to run 64-bit applications on usual OSX 10.5.4 or I need special version of OSX?

There is only one version of any OS X. So yes it is both 64 bit and 32 bit together. 10.5.4 is called Leopard :) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is rumored to be released after the 1st of the year. This is very exciting that you are looking forward to supporting a 64 bit version of 3d-coat and Cuda on the mac platform.

• Advanced Member

With 10.6 Snow Leopard apple will be introducing a new technology called openCL which if I understand it correctly is similar to what cuda is doing. Here is a link to a wiki doc about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL and a mac world artical on the technology http://www.macworld.com/article/134858/200...ard_opencl.html

Just though you might be interested :)

• Advanced Member
A question to OSX users

I am about to order notebook MB470 with OSX 10.5.4. My main purposes - support CUDA and 64-bit in 3D-Coat.

A question: Are you able to run 64-bit applications on usual OSX 10.5.4 or I need special version of OSX?

Don't know which mac software is 64-bit version. :rolleyes:

But there's no special version of OSX I think. Update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 is free using online update. And you can find xcode 3.0 in Leopard install DVD.

post-445-1227280683_thumb.jpg