3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
People generally retopo becuase they want the topology to flow with the model's form, for purposes like animation, adding more details or optimizing for a games model. I assume the automatic quadrangulation will not flow with the models geometry, so I can't see under what circumstance it will be useful, Unless it was possible to set guides to how it Quadrulates.

Or an I'm missing something?

Quadrangulation is great for the folks that want to make static models quickly and aren't too concerned about flow.

oh no there is a bug where if I quadralate a voxel during one session, then close the program and later on use it again to quadrangulate a different voxel, that the program gets confused and then loads the old retop'd mesh and displays it without actually retop'ing the new voxel. What files do I have to send you or do you want screenshots

thanks!

Excuse, not understood. At first - screenshot, if not enough I will ask 3B file.

• Advanced Member

Quadrangulate and Paint still crashes.

I'm a little confused as to what steps to take in order to paint on an object. I've managed to use 'Merge raw patch' to enable painting on an object. But for some reason the object seems deformed slightly. You can test this by quadrangulating a sphere and then select 'Merge raw patch' before going into painting mode.

The 'Merge into scene' option seems to preserve the shape of an object and yet I can't paint on the object in painting mode. Yet specular and depth (normal map) works fine. Just no paint.

So yeah, going from voxel sculpting to painting is terribly confusing at the moment.

This is me right now: ----> :unsure:

ps - The e menu is awesome.

• Advanced Member
I think you can use this for animation. I really do. And Andrew is likely to want to improve upon it over time. Of course you'll probably want to edit it afterwards. But who knows he may implement some tools (ie control points) that help you help the program do it just the way you like it. Like forinstance

if you can like tag a part of the mesh to tell it that, "this is a finger so retopo it like a cylinder" maybe you can then paint the area that you think is going to be a joint

or, "this is the head, so I want you to make a circle around anything that resembles an oriface"

or something like that

My point exactly. If the user had some manor of control in the future, it could be used for creating game and animation models etc. And not just stills.

When people say they use it to create stills, your talking about quickly hacking a pose together from a lower model, right?

Quadrangulate and Paint still crashes.

I'm a little confused as to what steps to take in order to paint on an object. I've managed to use 'Merge raw patch' to enable painting on an object. But for some reason the object seems deformed slightly. You can test this by quadrangulating a sphere and then select 'Merge raw patch' before going into painting mode.

The 'Merge into scene' option seems to preserve the shape of an object and yet I can't paint on the object in painting mode. Yet specular and depth (normal map) works fine. Just no paint.

So yeah, going from voxel sculpting to painting is terribly confusing at the moment.

This is me right now: ----> :unsure:

ps - The e menu is awesome.

To be able to paint go to layers list and select layer1. Now layer0 stays selected. It is not convenient and I will change it.

So, quadrangulate->merge->select layer 0

If you want, you can send me ( support@3d-coat.com ) a model and I will check why it crashes while "Quadrangulate and paint"

• Advanced Member
To be able to paint go to layers list and select layer1. Now layer0 stays selected. It is not convenient and I will change it.

So, quadrangulate->merge->select layer 0

If you want, you can send me ( support@3d-coat.com ) a model and I will check why it crashes while "Quadrangulate and paint"

Oooh! So that's how it works!.

I think my problem was that I'm just not familiar with 3D Coat's painting tools and so I didn't think to look at the layers. It's the voxels that originally brought me to 3D Coat.

The 'Quadrangulate and Paint' option will crash with any object.

I'm gonna go and get full of paint now. Thanks, Andrew!.

• Advanced Member

I got to test the new quadrangulation tool last night and i have to say i'm impressed! great job on that one Andrew :) but will it work with imported highpoly models too or only voxelsculpted models ?

What could be added to the quadrangilation thingy is to give the user the ability to paint in "poles" so that you a circular type quadrangilation pattern around areas like elbows, knees, eyesockets, mouths, ears and similar areas where edgeloops go in circular or elliptical loops around a specific area. And perhaps this quadrangulation tool should be moved out of the place where it is now and become a separate tool or a menu thing.

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

A really anoying glitch I've noticed when using smooth (shift) or thaw (ctrl) is that the cursor gets stuck on a particular part of the mesh and just continues to smooth or melt away at the mesh even while I am pointing at some other part of the mesh. Even if I am no longer clicking LMB it still continues with the operation. It seems to happen frequently with thaw when I have grow on pen motion checked off. But it happens either way.

I'm using non cuda version.

• Advanced Member
I've been getting that for along time. The DX version hasn't worked for me since a38 or a39. Not sure which.

Try updating your DirectX thru microsoft website.

• Advanced Member

Quadrangulate with symmetry gives some pretty good results if I just want to send it off to zbrush, or finish texturing in 3dcoat without need for animation. Though I found I had to delete the rows of polygons on the mirror seam as there were overlaps occurring down the middle. Easy enough to rebuild though. Just thought I'd mention it.

Does anyone know why I see this error when trying to run the DX version of 3D Coat? Its used to work before, but now... :huh:

And in case you're not on Vista and running Windows XP, (so no official DX10),

updating to the November 2008 build of DX9 fixed the problem for me.

Jeff

• Advanced Member
Quadrangulate with symmetry gives some pretty good results if I just want to send it off to zbrush, or finish texturing in 3dcoat without need for animation. Though I found I had to delete the rows of polygons on the mirror seam as there were overlaps occurring down the middle. Easy enough to rebuild though. Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks James, I better understand why people might use it now. I'll try your workflow out :)

• Advanced Member

Is anyone else having odd problems with the cavity shaders. it seems that for me the cavity is only drawn once and is then just left on the screen and dosnt update with the view so if i pan and rotate the view a sort of watermark is left in the middle of my screen where the cavitys were

• Advanced Member
Is anyone else having odd problems with the cavity shaders. it seems that for me the cavity is only drawn once and is then just left on the screen and dosnt update with the view so if i pan and rotate the view a sort of watermark is left in the middle of my screen where the cavitys were

I've always had the same problem with this kind of shaders since they've been implemented.

• Advanced Member
Hi,

Do some of you experience problems with the shaders in v.49?

Only the default one seems to work fine.

Eric, Shaders work fine here, but i'm on OSX, don't know wich system you're on...

-TOXE