3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
And what is core differennce between surface and voxel operations? No difference if they are converted to voxels quickly. For examle "Move" is purely surface operation by it's technology but is placed to voxel operations because it looks like voxel operation.

IMO the Move Tool should be under Surface operator, cause the difference between the surface you move, and the result of voxelisation, is evident.

What I think 3dioot does not like about surface tool, and me too I dislike this behaviour, is that what you see when you make a stroke with your surface brush, is not equal to the following voxelisation.

For me surface tools are acceptable if every millisecond you convert surface strokes to voxel strokes, without rendering the surface stroke of course, but I don't know if this is possible :)

• Contributor
Just noticed that the increase brush in version 55 and 56 DX64 and GL doesn't seem to be working.There is very little effect on the sculpt.Version 54 works as expected.

I guess I was mistaken, the brush seems to be working fine now.It's only after increasing resolution a couple of times it loses power with larger brushes.

• Advanced Member
I have tested it, it works well on my side... Is it possible that you have used Gum brush on massive part and then pressed quadrangulate?

Try open object and quadrangulate without brushing.

Yes, without using GUM it works :)

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
quadrangulation is messed up in alpha 56. It appears to do quadrangulation twice, as you have two meshes afterwards, furthermore it takes twice as long to calculate and shows twice the poly amount.

Otherwise the new tools ar great!

QFA I can verify this problem. On my machine the meshes appear to be of differing resolutions.

Whether or not that is true I can't prove but either way the meshes are not identical.

P. Monk

Here is an example of the problem. I used no Gum brush or any other surface tool.

post-589-1234217775_thumb.png

UM. Is it just me or are others getting a 404 error trying to download the OSX alpha 56?

This link (in the OP) does not seem to work:

http://www.3d-coat.com/Serega/3D-Coat-3-00-ALPHA-56.dmg

Link is restored. The reason is that last night wehave changed IP address of www.3d-coat.com (finally moved to new location). Now all should work fine.

• Advanced Member
Just to clarify my previous post so as not to be misconstrued.I am very pleased with the brushes in 3d-coat as they stand now, so please do not tamper with them too much, if at all.Maybe work on scrape, it has a tendency to jump around a bit.But I don't need it too much anyway so no big deal.

I wouldn't mind if Andrew continues to tweak/adjust/speed up the brushes if possible. As version 3.0 is still in it's alpha stages it is important for the testers to not be married to any particular work flow that might need to be changed for the sake of enhancing and/or speeding up the work flow.

Found an issue with the Split and Cut&Clone functions, Alpha 56

The attached image shows the problem using "Split".

The same problem occurs with Cut&Clone.

This happens with all Windows versions, OGL & DX, CUDA & Simple.

{at least on Win XP sp2)

Also happened in Alpha55 but I didn't notice it until now.

-Jeff

post-1222-1234256969_thumb.jpg

• Applink Developer

Hi Run!

It's not a bug. You can adjust the border with SplitBorderWidth option. It shows at the bottom when you click Split. With

Cut & Clone it seems that the cloned objects moves a little bit but actual cut edge is quite ok.

Hi Haikalle,

Ah, you are correct! Problem solved :) Thank you.

Interestingly, The "Cut&Clone" function doesn't have the

"SplitBorderWidth" option, but seems to respect "Split"'s

setting for it.

-Jeff

Hi Run!

It's not a bug. You can adjust the border with SplitBorderWidth option. It shows at the bottom when you click Split. With

Cut & Clone it seems that the cloned objects moves a little bit but actual cut edge is quite ok.

• Contributor
I wouldn't mind if Andrew continues to tweak/adjust/speed up the brushes if possible. As version 3.0 is still in it's alpha stages it is important for the testers to not be married to any particular work flow that might need to be changed for the sake of enhancing and/or speeding up the work flow.

Agree :)

• Advanced Member

Split got a border even if you set it to 0.

When you split an object you clearly see the seam and it should not.

That's really important for prototyping to not have any seam or any visible modification on the surface.

An other "bug" if you do a split and press undo, the layer created isn't deleted with undo.

BTW there are really great feature in these last release, thank you.

• Contributor

Andrew,please,could you make the retopology symmetry plane the same as current selected voxtree object.

I know we can use Tab but it only change position of symmetry plane not orientation.

:( please :(

I got a sword reoriented along the belt of a character and I want to retopologize it as a separate object

Right now I'm forced to retopo only on one side of objects and mirror,reorient and weld the 2 halves in 3dsMax.

...I intend to go freelance soon and I'll only be able to afford 3DCoat.

It's something probably very easy to do.

I don't understand why I'm the only one requesting this.

It's like nobody tried to retopo over multi-objects vox sculpt or something....I mean,

the problem with symmetry plane orientation is the first thing you see when you try.

Anyone seconding this? :)

also on alpha56gl 64 cuda

quandrangulation(q and paint also) never finish,it just hang forever.

Worked fine in Alpha55.

Andrew,please,could you make the retopology symmetry plane the same as current selected voxtree object.

I know we can use Tab but it only change position of symmetry plane not orientation.

:( please :(

I got a sword reoriented along the belt of a character and I want to retopologize it as a separate object

Right now I'm forced to retopo only on one side of objects and mirror,reorient and weld the 2 halves in 3dsMax.

...I intend to go freelance soon and I'll only be able to afford 3DCoat.

It's something probably very easy to do.

I don't understand why I'm the only one requesting this.

It's like nobody tried to retopo over multi-objects vox sculpt or something....I mean,

the problem with symmetry plane orientation is the first thing you see when you try.

Anyone seconding this? :)

also on alpha56gl 64 cuda

quandrangulation(q and paint also) never finish,it just hang forever.

Worked fine in Alpha55.

Ok, I will think how to do it (retopo plane), but it is not so easy at first glance.

• Advanced Member
Ok, reason found & fixed. If it is urgent I can send app file to you slightly later today.

Glad you've found the reason! thanks Andrew it's not urgent, i can wait for the next alpha...

-TOXE

• Contributor
Ok, I will think how to do it (retopo plane), but it is not so easy at first glance.

sorry...In my noprogrammer mind I tought it was easy but now that I think about it,with quadrangulation

now working with symmetry plane a request like this can surely add complications.

But still,It's important because it empowers the whole pipeline involving voxtree system for gamemodels.

The simple fact that subobjects retain their original symmetry plane even if reoriented is what make

your Voxtree so much superior to Zbrush subtools. :brush:

If you were to put a video on 3DCoat site showing the user moving and reorienting a pouch,or a sword around a character and showing that you can still sculpt afterward with symmetry intact,Zbrush users would have their jaw

on the ground out of amazement.

You cannot do that that in Zbrush,if you reorient a subtool the symmetry is over,dead.

Because symmetry in Zb is related to the canvas(screen) where 3DCoat shows a true local,per object symmetry.

It's a MAJOR selling point.....but it needs retopo to go along with it.

I'm glad you're thinking about it.I hope you find a big and genial idea to make it work...hehe :lol:

• Advanced Member
You cannot do that that in Zbrush,if you reorient a subtool the symmetry is over,dead.

Because symmetry in Zb is related to the canvas(screen) where 3DCoat shows a true local,per object symmetry.

It's a MAJOR selling point.....but it needs retopo to go along with it.

Cant you just press the local symmetry button for subtools in Zbrush?