3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

It would be great if each voxel object in the tree could have a transparency toggle along with the visibility toggle - or even just a global toggle that sets all layers except the one you are working with to transparent, so that you can see through objects that might obscure your view of the object you are currently sculpting. It's often handy to use the surrounding objects as visual reference rather than just hiding them completely. I use this feature in ZB quite a bit - especially when objects overlap or intersect. Now that I'm using multiple voxel objects per file it's becoming more of an issue.

I plan to upload 62 today. DP is mostly done, some things are still under work:

- cavity painting

- edit projection in ext editor

- occlusion calculation

- some small export issues

- redo

There was really much work. I have rewritten most of 3D-Coat painting functions. Huge amount of small tasks.

• Advanced Member
I plan to upload 62 today.

Getting excited... wow.... :)

- cavity painting

Now this is an interesting issue. How did you manage to do it with DP / low poly? I've been under the impression you cannot calculate convexity / concavity of corners, nooks and crannies unless you heavily subdivide the geometry. How did you work around this?

Anyway, if cavity painting works on DP, it will be heaven sent for making worn corners on angular metal objects, like crates and guns and stuff. It's going to rule, and be light years ahead of any competition. :)

Anyway, if cavity painting works on DP, it will be heaven sent for making worn corners on angular metal objects, like crates and guns and stuff. It's going to rule, and be light years ahead of any competition. :)

I've read that this is already possible in ZBrush, isn't it? But very cool.

Apart from that I am very anxious to see the final brush-feeling in 3DC 3... I am still shure, this is one, if not THE most important part.

• Advanced Member
I've read that this is already possible in ZBrush, isn't it?

I'm not sure what you mean. ZBrush has "Cavity Masking", but it only works on dense high poly geometry - and only at polygon level - as it does it by calculating the convexity/concavity from the polygon curvature.

I got the impression 3DC has a novel approach to this problem, that works at a per pixel level? :)

ALPHA 62 with DIRECT PAINTING released!

Use File->Import for per-pixel painting

Known issues:

- Open GL version does not works correctly, use DX version

- Occlusion, Copy/paste, Import uv-set, layer masking, masking in uv-plane don't work

Of course all known issues will be done/fixed soon. It is first alpha with DP, I want just to share this technology.

Also, several VS bugs was fixed there.

OSX version will be released soon, but it requires some additional not complex work. Maybe tomorrow.

• Contributor

Works wonderful here with dx version!

And truly, wow!!! :yahoo:

I tried using older painting method and to get a 4096 tex to work I had to subd the mesh up to 17mil and at this level,

with my grampa dell computer,it was driving 3dc to borderline unsuable(very slow brushstrokes response)

Now with DP I get superfast response on a 4096 map easily!!

The feeling is really great!

Also "edit projection in ext editor" works fine!

The quality of vox shader projection in orthogonal mode on lowpoly is simply outstanding!

It seems to encompass the mesh with less holes than zb's zapplink (maybe it's just an impression)

Overall.....Super Cool! :good:

(no bugs so far,but I only did basic layer addition,projection in ext ed and some

realtime 3dc symetrical coloring..)

So far it seems pretty cool. I am having weird issues with Undo / Redo. Here's a video, all I did was paint a bit, then try to undo it and redo it. I repeated that several times. At first Redo did not work at all, then it started working partially. The paint would come back, but in a strange geometric pattern.

(Video removed to save bandwidth if you want to see it feel free to ask)

• Advanced Member

Thanks for this alpha !!!!

just a coulpe of things :

i'd like to be able to resize the brush using the RMB in the UV window.

i'd like to be able to export or convert to polygons a 'cloth' model

If you add some extra time, could you add a cloth rigidity parameter, and the ability to pin parts of a cloth ?

• Advanced Member

philnolan3d - That weird geometric pattern looks just like the issue I'm getting, but I get it all the time as soon as the object is imported.

I'm running an NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX

• Advanced Member
I try It exporting a sphere from blender an importing to Dp but its show the model invisible. : ( in dx mode)

If I press 4 in the keyboard i can see only the wireframe.

same problem. importing is fine(it show up correctly), but if i hit ALT + Enter, the model disappear but i can still paint on it. DP is pretty accurate like Mudbox 2009 now! but it's still on the slow side, painting the dino model i get between 20-22 FPS regardless of brush size.

edit: i take that back, its fast now 35-56 FPS. odd lol.

post-564-1236881578_thumb.jpg

The man2.obj model opens with a grid pattern all over him. It seems to happen on any initial subdivision level including "No Subdivision". Here's a video:

(Video removed to save bandwidth if you want to see it feel free to ask)

Tried sculpting to see what would happen. The display goes bonkers while painting. As soon as you lift the pen it's fine.

(Video removed to save bandwidth...)

• Advanced Member
Tried sculpting to see what would happen. The display goes bonkers while painting. As soon as you lift the pen it's fine.

I get this too,except I havent loaded my tablet drivers yet so I cant test the pen.

My system specs:-

Acer Aspire 9301AWSMi

AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK-36 (running Vista Home Premium 32 Bit)

2.0 GHz, 512KB L2 cache

!7" WXGA+Acer CrystalBrite LCD (1440 x 900)

Up to 384MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100

TurboCache

2GB DDR2 ram

• Advanced Member
Sorry, I've not been following this thread for a while - been very busy, but could someone tell what the difference is between 'direct painting' and the usual painting?

It's just faster and more accurate :yahoo: Plus you can paint/texture low polygon models much easier with DP.

• Advanced Member

O wow it's released! thanks Andrew :) i gotta give this a try now tonight. I'll be back with feedback soon'ish..

[Edit] : First impression is..... WHOA! i love it :D this is what 3D-Coat should be like. Ok now i'm buying the upgrade to 3.0

Good job Andrew, this release was worth the wait. Although i think it was a pretty short time to wait considering how big of a change it is compared to the previous release. I can see you been busy hehe

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

cuda version seems to work pretty good!

The shift/smoothing is quite nice as well! Thanks for keeping that! I am having difficulty pulling models in around the 15k polygon range (our typical character meshes with equipment) Not sure what is causing crashes so I'll keep submitting the bug reports as they pop up. Painting is smooth and snappy so far though! Much better than the old method. And painting depth works great! Any chance to get this working on tangent space normals? =D

About crashes and display artifacts - please ensure that

- you are using DX version

- oblect has uv-map (drom.obj has no)

Yes I always use DX unless I have to use GL for some reason.

I've only tried it with included objects so far (but not drom.obj).

So far I haven't been able to bring in any of my own objs. I'm using the SIMPLE version of DX.exe. But even a 3k tri mesh won't come in without an out of memory error. I cranked up my virtual memory but 3DC is still showing it as being much lower.

One of the things I'm encountering with the sample meshes is painting depth over an edge and then smoothing is leaving a big seam.

post-893-1236891140_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I managed to get an obj exported from max2009 in @ around 12k polygons. Works good... I noticed that 'v' doesn't pick color like it used to. Did this change to something else or is it just one of those 'first release' type things that should be expected. Looking forward to seeing a mac version ASAP as well!

I am loving the responsiveness when editing normals now. Once tangent space is supported again this is going to be HUGELY beneficial to cleaning up baked normals etc. I am so looking forward to using this software for more and more of my process from start to finish!