3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Re: strange black squares

Please show screenshot.

Here. I was running the DX version in 1600x1200 with dual monitors (so my desktop is 3200x1200). ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT with 512Mb onboard memory.

The screenshot was originally 1600x1200, but I scaled it down to 800x600 to save my quota; anyway, you can clearly see the black rectangles there.

post-1255-1236953801_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
andrew , i have a probleme with simple 62 et dp

my computeur is mac pro 2,7 quad and geforce 7300 gt

i use directx 64 and my driver and directx is ok

when i load (model with UV) head i have a bug saure patern and when i try to piant i have patern square

i try in my home with my other pc (and not mac pro) i have no probleme

Best regard

I am having the same problem

post-1287-1236955678_thumb.jpg

Macbook Pro running XP 32. Geforce 8600 M. Drivers are Nvidia's latest for laptops (179.48). Running GL version of 3d coat. Problem does not happen with DX version.

• Advanced Member

barely any time testing, but it seems layers aren't being used/recognized on my system

(Vista Ultimate SP1 64bit | Q6600 2.40 GHZ | 8GB RAM | 320MB Nvidia 8800GTS [Forceware 175.16])

I'll try to update drivers and see if that fixes anything. Image below shows my process:

- Imported .obj with mirrored UVs (per-pixel painting)

- Added Layer 2

- Filled with pores (with Layer 2 selected)

- Turned off visibility for Layer1 and Layer2

- Fill still remains

*edit* No change with this with fresh 182.08 drivers...

post-475-1236963404_thumb.jpg

I am having the same problem

post-1287-1236955678_thumb.jpg

Macbook Pro running XP 32. Geforce 8600 M. Drivers are Nvidia's latest for laptops (179.48). Running GL version of 3d coat. Problem does not happen with DX version.

for now just dx version work with dp

best regard

philippe

Updated to V63.

Fixed most critical bugs, improved integration VS & DP (but not finally), made button to move cloth from VS to retopo tool.

I had not much time today, had some deals with bank today that was postponed during DP development.

Please excuse me OXS user, OSX V63 is still not ready (but soon).

Problems I still see in 63:

-Smoothing errors still there, I can send the model if that would help.

-OBJ version of my building model is invisible.

-Sculpting on DP still looks crazy until you pick up the pen.

-Still have geometric patterns with large brush size.

-Still geometric patterns with Undo / Redo.

• Contributor

Alpha63DX 64 cuda on

QuadroFX1700

Thanx Andrew for adding "merge for per pixel painting" in retopo menu,combined with "import external mesh"

it gives me what I wanted ,which is scale matching between Dp model and voxsculpt for shader baking.

So I'm very happy. :yahoo:

But now.... when I use "merge for per pixel painting" in retopo menu instead of "import for per pixel painting" in file menu

UNDOS DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE :o

also when I use "merge for per pixel painting" I get small black lines unveiling and disappearing along Uvs as I paint.

and with BOTH METHODS I get very small black points scattered on my model.

I didn't have those issues in alpha62.

(so far,I'm using automapping with no subd and no smoothing)

Also,there is a crashing problem I encountered (bug report sent)

when using the merge.3b option in voxtree on a saved file that had a model in old paint/sculpt mode also saved inside the file

3DC coat systematically crash each time.

On the same topic:

IS THERE A WAY TO CLEAR THE MESH IN OLD SCULPT/PAINT MODE ?

there is no clear button anywhere and I want to get rid of the imported old sculpt/paint model

so I can make a new retopology over my voxsculpt.

The model seems to be stuck there forever. :(

also: TOGGLING ON/OFF AND DELETION OF NORMALMAP LAYER NOW WORKS FINE :)

• Advanced Member

Wow. Neither zbrush nor bodypaint are this responsive and precise on my humble system. This is amazing. I have no excuse not to texture anymore! ;)

Its awesome to not be tied to subdividing your mesh to oblivion anymore for decent texture resolution.

Congratulations Andrew. This feature is working really well for its first implementation.

JW

PS

Shame this also suffers from the inadequate brush engine.

• Advanced Member
- Cavity painting

Now this is an interesting issue. How did you manage to do it with DP / low poly?

Hmm, looks like it isn't yet solved like I was implying. Cavity painting indeed works on a texture basis (the heights and cavities in the depth map can be masked), but the outer corners and edges of a cube don't count as heights - like they do if the cube is subdivided into micro-polygons.

Is it even technically possible to detect heights and cavities on a per pixel basis in low poly geometry?

This would be essential for giving the objects an appearance of wear and beveling in the corners, and dirt accumulating in the nooks and crannies, without having to increse the polycount by geometry-beveling / chamfering all the corners of the object.

It cannot be done with Ambient Occlusion, I've already tried that. AO can detect cavities, but both flat surfaces and convexities result in the same fully white value.

Hmm, looks like it isn't yet solved like I was implying. Cavity painting indeed works on a texture basis (the heights and cavities in the depth map can be masked), but the outer corners and edges of a cube don't count as heights - like they do if the cube is subdivided into micro-polygons.

Is it even technically possible to detect heights and cavities on a per pixel basis in low poly geometry?

This would be essential for giving the objects an appearance of wear and beveling in the corners, and dirt accumulating in the nooks and crannies, without having to increse the polycount by geometry-beveling / chamfering all the corners of the object.

It cannot be done with Ambient Occlusion, I've already tried that. AO can detect cavities, but both flat surfaces and convexities result in the same fully white value.

It was first quick approach. Calculating global cavity is also possible using interpolated normals.

Problems I still see in 63:

-Smoothing errors still there, I can send the model if that would help.

-OBJ version of my building model is invisible.

-Sculpting on DP still looks crazy until you pick up the pen.

-Still have geometric patterns with large brush size.

-Still geometric patterns with Undo / Redo.

- redo is not done at all at this stage.

- is building uv-mapped?

• Advanced Member

Wonderful release.

Couple of issues though:

When loading the model in 3dcoat, the smallest allowed texture is 512. I'd like to be able to enter any size, down to a few pixels if I need to (as long as they are power of 2 i assume). Right now I need 128x128 for instance.

Undo doesn't work for me. My test model has 5 materials (UV sets as you call them) and when I undo a stroke done on one material it fucks-up the texture in another material.

BTW to me the use of 'multiple UV sets' term refers to the ability to store several UVs per vertex to be used in multi-texturing for instance. A diffrent notion from the multiple material applied to a model each with a single UVs set. Just semantics here, but I'd like to know if others think this is a bit misleading?

View unshaded model doesn't work.

Some small features I'm looking forward to:

I'd like to have the ability to disable bilinear filtering.

I'd like to have the ability to use the alpha channel for transparency instead of specularity, as it's widely used in games assets.

Cheers,

Franck.

PS: The particular system for this test was WinXP32, P4 extreme 3.5GHz, 4GB ram, GeForce 6800 Ultra, 256MB Vram. Latest NVidia drivers.

Wonderful release.

Couple of issues though:

When loading the model in 3dcoat, the smallest allowed texture is 512. I'd like to be able to enter any size, down to a few pixels if I need to (as long as they are power of 2 i assume). Right now I need 128x128 for instance.

Undo doesn't work for me. My test model has 5 materials (UV sets as you call them) and when I undo a stroke done on one material it fucks-up the texture in another material.

BTW to me the use of 'multiple UV sets' term refers to the ability to store several UVs per vertex to be used in multi-texturing for instance. A diffrent notion from the multiple material applied to a model each with a single UVs set. Just semantics here, but I'd like to know if others think this is a bit misleading?

View unshaded model doesn't work.

Some small features I'm looking forward to:

I'd like to have the ability to disable bilinear filtering.

I'd like to have the ability to use the alpha channel for transparency instead of specularity, as it's widely used in games assets.

Cheers,

Franck.

PS: The particular system for this test was WinXP32, P4 extreme 3.5GHz, 4GB ram, GeForce 6800 Ultra, 256MB Vram. Latest NVidia drivers.

Ok, I will add custom size (you will be able to enter any size).

• Contributor
There is easy solution -

View->Popups->Show objects

There are red cross icons :)

Thanx!! Works great! :)

I found some bugs in voxtree (alpha 62/63 (maybe even before)) dx/gl

:if you save the .3b file with a parent invisible the children is gone forever when you load back the file.

here are test files for you to see

also in alpha63 the + icon in voxtree is gone.

and here is another bug I've been having since few alphas and even now

(I forgot to mention....because I'm more busy having fun with finding sculpting workflows and when I find

a workaround I sometimes forget to mention the bug...sorry..that is not very professional of me as a tester)

:When I load a .3b file while I'm already working on a volumetric sculpt the brushes stop to work

I need to clone the object and then it starts to work again or if I close 3dc and load the file the brushes are back.

(2D-Paint brush (in volumetric brushes)is not affected by this bug)

• Applink Developer

Thanks Andrew. This is a very nice update. It's amazing that you have done all this in short time. I bet it's a good advance when you are the only coder of this program so you really know this program very well. And making changes is faster than in big company. I just hope that it will not take your powers too much... DP is fast. Makes my old computer looks like new one. I like it.