3DCoat Forums

WOW it works!!!! I wouldnt believe it unless I saw it, how one man can program like this is beyond me... How did you pull off voxel scuplt and a working per pixel paint within months!!!?? gota be your faith and determiniation. You said you were gona do it, doing it is another issue.. amazing Thanks!

lizard.jpg

• Advanced Member

Nice one awnold :) it sure looks like it's working pretty well so far.

I was able to run the latest release one, with some strange behaviour when i accessed the brush panel. It started accessing my C drive and very slowly importing all the brushes one at a time until 3DC crashed. Since that crash i have not been able to start 3DC anymore. :(

3dccrash.jpg

/ Magnus

Just got started with 65, but the first thing I see right off the bat is still smoothing errors:

2009-03-17_1604.png

Edit: I found some non-planar polys in the building model, which probably caused the smoothing errors. I fixed them and resaved the model. But when it try to load it into 3DC I get a crash with this error:

2009-03-17_1626.png

"Nice one awnold it sure looks like it's working pretty well so far."

to be fair, this was painted with the 'old' paint tools, haha, which really work great for low poly painting, not as good as the 'ultimate' solution- per pixel, but pretty darn good. Yup, just switched over and started to continue with per-pixel and il continue to report issues like these:

65 version

1) when holding down V (picking the color under the cursor) there is a good amount of lag (found how to reproduce this, just hold down V until it lags up, after that happens, it will always be lagged. only way to fix this is to save and reopen. if you are having hard time reproducing this just do a couple strokes hold down V and move the mouse till it lags. If that doesnt work, do a couple more strokes and repeat, should be able to get it to lag.)

2) also, after painting for about 10 min or so, the the V lags like above. just normal color selecting and painting over 10 min will cause it to happen, i have to save and reopen to fix.

3) after painting, then saved, then opened, all painting is gone. (not sure about this one either, some times it happens sometimes its fine)

4) this has happened 4 times in the last, well about 6 hours. While normal painting, the program freezes. When this happens I cant open ANY program whatsoever. I cant even open system manager, ie, wordpad, nothing. all have errors, (tried to take a screenshot but that does not work either) the program is using 50 percent of CPU when this happens and will stay like this indefinitely.

Thanks!

p.s. after using the old paint (micro vertex) and the new method (per pixel) the difference is incredible. It feels very similar to photoshop but its right on the model. In fact, once the bugs are hammered out im not sure what photoshop would have on it.. just incredible...

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

I found 2 bugs with Alpha 65 direct painting for both GL and DX version.

First bug 3dC freeze.

1. File > Import for per pixel painting.

2. Select any OBJ file.

3. Set initial subdivision to 17,796 or higher.

This will cause 3DC alpha 65 to freeze up. It did work in alpha 64. I just wanted to get some displacement map on the model to test DP.

Second bug is with displacement map. 3DC flips the displacement map vertically for some strange reason. See the picture with Photoshop reference:

post-564-1237336553_thumb.jpg

Alpha 65 Direct Painting Errors

When I have the UV set window open, and try painting on the UVs, if the UV window overlaps the color selector and is on top of the color selector, trying to paint a UV island that lays over the color selector causes the brush color to change instead of painting.

Load Creature Model

Open UV window

Position UV window over color selector

Try painting UV group that overlays color selector, no painting, but brush color will change!

• Advanced Member

Bug: smoothing results in grid pattern (different than last time)

post-1287-1237347246_thumb.png

Open any object for direct painting (I used cube)

paint strokes with depth.

smooth over those strokes.

Otherwise it's getting much much better. Smoothing across seams is, indeed, working just about perfectly. Thanks for the prompt mac build, btw!

• Advanced Member
That are small tasks but list is long. I hpohe I will do that this week (I mean very stable and almost release version of DP)

"This week"? :blink: The rate at which you work on this program is just friggin' amazing! :clapping:

• Advanced Member
also layer groups and comps (layer visibility presets)... :)

Also, PS Allows a bit more control for rigid object maps. I have a hard time getting repeating shapes in equal distances on most objects. I end up having to guess most of the time. Or is there a trick to getting linear repeating forms in 3dc?

• Advanced Member
WOW it works!!!! I wouldnt believe it unless I saw it, how one man can program like this is beyond me... How did you pull off voxel scuplt and a working per pixel paint within months!!!?? gota be your faith and determiniation. You said you were gona do it, doing it is another issue.. amazing Thanks!

lizard.jpg

Is it a kobold?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Kobold

Nice one awnold :) it sure looks like it's working pretty well so far.

I was able to run the latest release one, with some strange behaviour when i accessed the brush panel. It started accessing my C drive and very slowly importing all the brushes one at a time until 3DC crashed. Since that crash i have not been able to start 3DC anymore. :(

3dccrash.jpg

/ Magnus

Please run 32-bit version and send me bugreport (or post pic there) - it will be more informative. Thanks.

Bug: smoothing results in grid pattern (different than last time)

post-1287-1237347246_thumb.png

Open any object for direct painting (I used cube)

paint strokes with depth.

smooth over those strokes.

Otherwise it's getting much much better. Smoothing across seams is, indeed, working just about perfectly. Thanks for the prompt mac build, btw!

ok, this will be fixed. The main battle was with seams an seems seams have lost :)

Just got started with 65, but the first thing I see right off the bat is still smoothing errors:

2009-03-17_1604.png

Edit: I found some non-planar polys in the building model, which probably caused the smoothing errors. I fixed them and resaved the model. But when it try to load it into 3DC I get a crash with this error:

2009-03-17_1626.png

If it happened during import and it repeats, please send me a model.

• Advanced Member
ok, this will be fixed. The main battle was with seams an seems seams have lost :)

Thanks.

In case it helps, here is a .mov showing the problem in action:

http://www.michaelcrawfordportfolio.com/do...bugs/dpbug1.mov

It seems to be worse with a lower smoothing value. Towards the end of the video I turn the smoothing value up to max and it seems to smooth out most of the problems.

Also, is displacement in pixel paint mode (visible in scene) a planned feature? It would be nice to have that, but I understand if it would be difficult with the current method (TS normal maps). I assume the problem is that the TS normal map generated on the fly would no longer be correct once the geometry is displaced (double the effect). Is it possible to perhaps generate a object space normal map on mouse-up for display? would that require a hidden mesh or is that possible to do in image space?

• Advanced Member

Still save/load problems with version 65.

Imported obj for DP, painted on layer 1 (won't touch layer0) using some 'material' stencil. Added a 3rd layer in multiply mode and painted on it.

I tried exporting the textures and it went fine. This part seems to be fixed and ok.

Then I saved the .3b project. On reload, the original textures showed up again (the one from the original .obj), and I'm not able to see or paint layer 1 nor 2.

I can send you the .3b file if you want.

Franck.

ED: I tried to export textures after having reloaded the .3b project just to check and I got again empty 2k textures. (the original were 128x128)

Ok so after some more cleaning up I managed to get rid of all of the smoothing errors. It seems that while it works it's a lot more picky about the polygon shape than other applications. One of the trouble polygons was shaped like the attached image. LightWave and I believe other 3D apps, have no problem with this shape.

post-466-1237385419_thumb.jpg

Hi.

I've tested the new alpha. Very fast and impressive, but I have a question:

When I'am painting with a "good resolution" brush, the painted strokes looks very pixeled and blocky. Why is it so?

Do I have to switch something on, before I can use direct painting? Or did I understand something wrong?

After I've imported the Objekt, I set the "Millions of polygons" resolution to the lowest size. Is it still important to set the object polygon resolution as high as possible for painting?

Regards

Chris

See attached example.

post-955-1237386742_thumb.jpg

I was just about to say something about this. I had noted that it looked blocky so I tried to increase my texture res. but it still looked the same. So I tried dropping it down to 512 to test, it still looked the same.

post-466-1237387357_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I know the focus is more on debuging right now, and it's obviously priority. Heck I still had to go back to maya 3d paint for my current production although I'd love to get rid of it once and for all. ( I mean the 3dpaint part of course).

However as much as I think 3dcoat is starting to be THE painting app for lowpoly work, there is one thing that I'm missing over maya 3d paint. Screen space clone brush along with a display image window. This is the way we're used to work in photoshop for cloning texture from one image to another, and I managed to have a similar setup in maya. I have to say I'm not too comfortable with the 'material' stencil thingie in 3dcoat. Simply because you can't see both source and destination material at the same time. And the transparency system is so distracting.

Here's how I did it in Maya. It's rather simple, I create a plane and attach it below the camera so it stays in camera view. From there I select both the plane and my object for painting. I use the clone brush in screen space and there you go, a photoshop-like clone in 3d.

post-497-1237387417_thumb.jpg

I think it would be quite simple for Andrew to display an image in a window (or several) and alow for screen-space cloning. That would be a great addition to the toolset.

Cheers,

Franck.

• Advanced Member
I know the focus is more on debuging right now, and it's obviously priority. Heck I still had to go back to maya 3d paint for my current production although I'd love to get rid of it once and for all. ( I mean the 3dpaint part of course).

However as much as I think 3dcoat is starting to be THE painting app for lowpoly work, there is one thing that I'm missing over maya 3d paint. Screen space clone brush along with a display image window. This is the way we're used to work in photoshop for cloning texture from one image to another, and I managed to have a similar setup in maya. I have to say I'm not too comfortable with the 'material' stencil thingie in 3dcoat. Simply because you can't see both source and destination material at the same time. And the transparency system is so distracting.

Here's how I did it in Maya. It's rather simple, I create a plane and attach it below the camera so it stays in camera view. From there I select both the plane and my object for painting. I use the clone brush in screen space and there you go, a photoshop-like clone in 3d.

I think it would be quite simple for Andrew to display an image in a window (or several) and alow for screen-space cloning. That would be a great addition to the toolset.

Cheers,

Franck.

This is allready covered with materials. Just load a material like you do a brush (right hand panel, below brushes) and it overlays the pic over your object and you can paint away in screen space.

• Advanced Member
This is allready covered with materials. Just load a material like you do a brush (right hand panel, below brushes) and it overlays the pic over your object and you can paint away in screen space.

As I said, it's the 'overlay' part I dislike.

Ed: I think having the source texture material on one side and the 3d object on the other side is much clearer for me. A matter of taste and habits I suppose, but would be a nice addition nevertheless.

Hi.

I've tested the new alpha. Very fast and impressive, but I have a question:

When I'am painting with a "good resolution" brush, the painted strokes looks very pixeled and blocky. Why is it so?

Do I have to switch something on, before I can use direct painting? Or did I understand something wrong?

After I've imported the Objekt, I set the "Millions of polygons" resolution to the lowest size. Is it still important to set the object polygon resolution as high as possible for painting?

Regards

Chris

See attached example.

You should use "Import for per pixel painting" instead of usual import.

Still save/load problems with version 65.

Imported obj for DP, painted on layer 1 (won't touch layer0) using some 'material' stencil. Added a 3rd layer in multiply mode and painted on it.

I tried exporting the textures and it went fine. This part seems to be fixed and ok.

Then I saved the .3b project. On reload, the original textures showed up again (the one from the original .obj), and I'm not able to see or paint layer 1 nor 2.

I can send you the .3b file if you want.

Franck.

ED: I tried to export textures after having reloaded the .3b project just to check and I got again empty 2k textures. (the original were 128x128)

It is better to send me 3B file, till now I can't reproduce it.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the info about running the 32bit version instead, for some reason that never crossed my mind i should try that.

I have to agree with Frankie about texturing and brushes, it's a bit confusing. Not all the tools are easy to find when you need them, they're somewhere in a menu or in the toolbar but they're not that easy to find at all times. Some reorganisation of the interface would be nice to adapt it more to a standard type workflow. At the moment i'm having some issues when i'm gonna use textures (images) to paint with on my models. I can't seem to get good control of what i'm doing.

/ Magnus

Cheers,

Franck.

In near future I will add possibility to add background image. If clone source will be outside the model, color will be picked from background.