3DCoat Forums

Here's another bug. When importing a model for DP if that model has multiple UV maps changing the top res for the first map will changes the resolutions for ALL maps. Changing the bottom res will change the bottom one for all of the maps. Here's a video:

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s136/wi...dc_res_prob.flv

It is not a bug but it is made for convenience. If you want that all textures to be same size just select size of the first instead ob 10-20 clicks.

If you want them to be different, select first and then other textures sizes.

But if you start changing the polygons won't that affect the final output and the UV maps so it wouldn't work with the original model any more?

No, that change will not affect uv map or so because order of vertices can be shifted circularly withoit any affect to geometry or topology.

It is not a bug but it is made for convenience. If you want that all textures to be same size just select size of the first instead ob 10-20 clicks.

Hmm. OK, I think this feature might be confusing though. Obviously it confused me. Perhaps if there was a checkbox to turn it on/off. It reminds me of changing the image size in Photoshop. Where you have a "Constrain Proportions" checkbox. Even if people left it on at least that would confirm to them that it is a feature, not a bug.

BTW Andrew, a while back you asked what people use the "Edit in external editor" feature for. One thing that I think would be fairly difficult in 3DC, but pretty easy in Photoshop is labels. For example, this building I've been working on has a lot of signs all over it, like Starbucks logos. In PS I could just load in the logo and drag it into position on the UV map. In 3DC I guess you would have to load it as a material, then use one of the brushes to apply it to the model. Which I think is not quite as easy, plus any materials you add stay there until you delete them even after restarting the program. Normally this is a really good thing, but not for labels or "decals".

• Advanced Member
I really don't see why this is such an argument. Here's a video, I'm doing exactly what you said. No smoothing error.

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s136/wi...t=smoothing.flv

Lightwave modeler has a tendency to hide shading artifacts mostly due to the awkward shading engine which doesn't always display and shade geometry properly. Also depends on how you have smooth shading set in lightwave. As I already mentioned and others mentioned. It may or may not show up in the final rendered image, it depends on how the quad is tesselated during render time, also it can change in some instances depending on the angle of the camera. For best results try to avoid topology that stresses polygons in awkward ways such as your example. You are free to do as you wish, I just do not see it as a shading bug in 3dcoat. Just trying to help you out.

• Advanced Member

When I try import a file from Sketchup in DP, keeping UV, 3dcoat crash... When I import and automapping is OK but I loose the textures... I think sketchup manage the textures in other way... any reason to solve this issue?

When I try import a file from Sketchup in DP, keeping UV, 3dcoat crash... When I import and automapping is OK but I loose the textures... I think sketchup manage the textures in other way... any reason to solve this issue?

Send me (support@3d-coat.com) the file and I will try to understand the reason.

not sure if this is too vague to help you Andrew, but I still freeze, about 2 times an hour when doing DP. I do quick strokes in succession, which probably taxes the system, but who knows. What happens is this, the program will freeze, the CPU will be pegged at 50 percent.. now the interesting stuff. I cant open any program, and not only that all my disk drives show up as zero bytes. skype has an IO error and crashes. sometimes I can wait 3-5 minutes and it comes back, sometimes, like this last time, it freezes for 10 minutes and I have to kill it. I cant take a screenshot during this time, nothing works, even the system manager gives an error if I try to start it. This might just be too vague, but its the best explanation I can do.. hope this helps.

hello, i don't know if is bug

can I change texture size (dp ) after import dp object ?

i can't open multiple object with texture each object at 4096 size

i am limit at 2096 (i have 4 object ) with for space uv

And when i save document (with huge texture ) is really slow

i am a octoCore and coat use only one CORE for save ?

and this a end

if i use curve witn photo path dp paint in the firt layer and not on my choice layer

best regard

philippe

not sure if this is too vague to help you Andrew, but I still freeze, about 2 times an hour when doing DP. I do quick strokes in succession, which probably taxes the system, but who knows. What happens is this, the program will freeze, the CPU will be pegged at 50 percent.. now the interesting stuff. I cant open any program, and not only that all my disk drives show up as zero bytes. skype has an IO error and crashes. sometimes I can wait 3-5 minutes and it comes back, sometimes, like this last time, it freezes for 10 minutes and I have to kill it. I cant take a screenshot during this time, nothing works, even the system manager gives an error if I try to start it. This might just be too vague, but its the best explanation I can do.. hope this helps.

It is important to find and fix this issue. Please tell what do you usually do when it freezes (stokes, saving,...). Also, if this issue is regullar please make one test. Go to options and turn off "Use multicore optimisation". If it will help and 3DC will not freeze for a long time, go to options and turn it agan (on next session). Check if it will freeze again. I need to understand if it is multithreading related.

hello, i don't know if is bug

can I change texture size (dp ) after import dp object ?

i can't open multiple object with texture each object at 4096 size

i am limit at 2096 (i have 4 object ) with for space uv

And when i save document (with huge texture ) is really slow

i am a octoCore and coat use only one CORE for save ?

and this a end

if i use curve witn photo path dp paint in the firt layer and not on my choice layer

best regard

philippe

Now you can't change texture size but very soon I will make it possible.

How long takes saving? What is size of 3B file?

I will fix photo path issue.

For best results try to avoid topology that stresses polygons in awkward ways such as your example. You are free to do as you wish, I just do not see it as a shading bug in 3dcoat. Just trying to help you out.

Avoiding topology isn't always an option, if LW can handle the object without smoothing errors, I really think most other applications should be able to handle the same objects with the same methods. So i agree with Phil, that 3DC should be able to handle the object, at least as well as LW does.

Edit: I See Andrew has fixed the problem, Kudos...

It is important to find and fix this issue. Please tell what do you usually do when it freezes (stokes, saving,...). Also, if this issue is regullar please make one test. Go to options and turn off "Use multicore optimisation". If it will help and 3DC will not freeze for a long time, go to options and turn it agan (on next session). Check if it will freeze again. I need to understand if it is multithreading related.

turning off muti-core optimization didnt fix it. I am painting, and it starts slowing (for a 1 second) then crash. Also, I only have 7 gigs a free space on my C: drive, perhaps its running out of virtual memory.. who knows I will clear up some space and see if that has any effect. I did manage to get a screenshot this time of some of the errors..

although this might be related to a problem easy to reproduce.

open the cube model for per pixel painting

start painting, hold down V and start sampling the underlying color, paint some more, more sampling (really hold down V) go back to painting, go back to sampling color V.. repeat quickly for about 2 min, really hold down V.. eventually the color selecting will grind to a halt. you have to hold the V down in an area for about 3-5 seconds for it to pick the color underneath. after this happens, you need to save and reopen to continue to work on the file. this might be related to the above problem, who knows... (they are not really related but the program grinds to a halt in both of them)

3dc_error.jpg

• Advanced Member

I like that, but could you make it so it is a ctrl+click or something like that to change all. I also like the ability to select the first resolution (x) of the two and it automatically sets the second (y) to the same but allowing the second to be changed independently of the first.

I don't know what it is but ever since I first bought 3DC (then 3DB) it has had issues with my GeForce 8800 GTS or the nVidia drivers. I very often see the screen go all black, then an error balloon saying that the driver has crashed and recovered. The screen stays black until I double click the title bar, forcing it to refresh. This just happened twice to me in about 10 minutes. Then a few minutes later I was adjusting the lighting and got this error:

3dc_ogl_error.jpg

Oddly I'm not using the Open GL version and after I closed the error window 3DC continued to operate normally. And BTW a few weeks ago I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows and all of my programs, so it should not be a problem with my system. No other program causes these driver crashes. As I mentioned a few posts ago if I'm using a Material at the time of the driver crash the material options panel disappears and won't come back until I restart 3DC. I'm hoping the new interface will fix this, but I'm not sure it will since you (Andrew) said you're going to use the same UI tools.

Edit: OK it looks that Open GL error was referring to Photoshop CS4, but the rest of what I said still stands.

Edit2: Ooh, it just happened again so I was able to get a screenshot of the error bubble:

3dc_driver_crash.jpg

another reproducible bug. there is something else wrong with selecting the color under the cursor 'V' (besides the lag I described above) if you use V to select a color, you can not undo past that point. So paint a stroke, use V to select a color, paint a stroke, the farthest back you can go with undo is the stroke after 'V'. Since I use V and undo a ton, I would not be surprised if these bugs were related to the crashing..

• Advanced Member

awnold, this is possibly because of lacking drive space. I know the behaviour you describe from running out of RAM with 3Dcoat, you cant even start task manager, its all frozen. But then im not sure why DP would need more than 7 gig. With voxels though it happens quite fast that i exceed my 8GB :(

• Advanced Member
I don't know what it is but ever since I first bought 3DC (then 3DB) it has had issues with my GeForce 8800 GTS or the nVidia drivers. I very often see the screen go all black, then an error balloon saying that the driver has crashed and recovered. The screen stays black until I double click the title bar, forcing it to refresh. This just happened twice to me in about 10 minutes. Then a few minutes later I was adjusting the lighting and got this error:

3dc_ogl_error.jpg

Oddly I'm not using the Open GL version and after I closed the error window 3DC continued to operate normally. And BTW a few weeks ago I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows and all of my programs, so it should not be a problem with my system. No other program causes these driver crashes. As I mentioned a few posts ago if I'm using a Material at the time of the driver crash the material options panel disappears and won't come back until I restart 3DC. I'm hoping the new interface will fix this, but I'm not sure it will since you (Andrew) said you're going to use the same UI tools.

Edit: OK it looks that Open GL error was referring to Photoshop CS4, but the rest of what I said still stands.

Edit2: Ooh, it just happened again so I was able to get a screenshot of the error bubble:

3dc_driver_crash.jpg

I think that's a driver issue in vista. I get that with my vista os but not on xp. I'm on dual boot so only thing different is os and driver.

I think that's a driver issue in vista. I get that with my vista os but not on xp. I'm on dual boot so only thing different is os and driver.

Yeah, actually. You just reminded me about that. You're right. I haven't used Vista in a while but I got the same error on that, with the same video card. Vista can't handle it for some reason.

Andrew, since it is now possible to paint in pixels, can you change the minimum texture resolution down to 64x64? I, myself, would like to work in 256x256 if possible.

Thanks!!!

Actually, I agree partially. I like the presets we have, but I'd prefer a custom texture resolution as well. So we could go higher (if need be) then 8x and lower then 256. But that's just me. :)

• Advanced Member
from geo_n: I think that's a driver issue in vista. I get that with my vista os but not on xp. I'm on dual boot so only thing different is os and driver.

I've got the same problem since I use Vista (I wanted to buy a more powerful computer and it seems that more of this extra power is use by the processor to run childish graphic effects :angry: )

Actually, I agree partially. I like the presets we have, but I'd prefer a custom texture resolution as well. So we could go higher (if need be) then 8x and lower then 256. But that's just me. :)

no I got this wrong (thus deleted my post) andrew is already ahead of us, on 'import for per pixel paint' you can go as low as 64x64 and as high as 8192x8192. (i have no reason to go higher but other might) and hes currently working on changing the texture res on the fly..

although this might be related to a problem easy to reproduce.

open the cube model for per pixel painting

start painting, hold down V and start sampling the underlying color, paint some more, more sampling (really hold down V) go back to painting, go back to sampling color V.. repeat quickly for about 2 min, really hold down V.. eventually the color selecting will grind to a halt. you have to hold the V down in an area for about 3-5 seconds for it to pick the color underneath. after this happens, you need to save and reopen to continue to work on the file. this might be related to the above problem, who knows... (they are not really related but the program grinds to a halt in both of them)

That was very helpful note and I was able to reproduce and fix it. I can make preliminary update now (easy, it is fully automatic) or evening (my GMT+2). If you have desire and time now, I can make update immediately.

Updated to V67 (only Win)

Changes:

1) Correct work with non-convex faces

2) Faster clone tool

3) Better stability (I mean bug mentioned by awnold)

4) Correct work with layers in curve/fill tool

5) correct work of merge down/merge visible

6) All overall filters are working (HSV, RGB corrections, overall smooth/sharpen in layers menu)

7) correct pick tool (without lags)

8 ) more correct work with alpha-channel (alpha test enabled in DX version)

And big thanks for testing!

Hi there,

I'm having the same problems with my NVidia display driver as described by Phil Nolan. I have brand new PC with an NVidia GTX 260,

running Vista 64 bit. I've had the display driver stopped working error a couple times with computer rebooting, and also the so called

TDR errors, were the Display Driver stops working but then recovers itself automatically. (Read about TDR here :

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=31913).

The problem has been happening more frequently recently and I tried everything reverting to older drivers, the newest drivers,

system restore (bad idea), but have not been able to get to the bottom of it. I had a serious bluescreen when running Mass Effect PC game,

bluescreen (nvlddmkm.sys = nvidia display driver)...and now even games that were running fine before are crashing after about 10 minutes.

But also in 3DCoat when I'm retopologising a model, the program freezes after a bout 10 minutes now, everytime, and I have to restart it.

(3DCoat_Alpha61). So now I'm not sure what is the problem, NVidia display driver, Vista 64, Mass Effect PC game or the installation of 3DCoat_Alpha

and the installation of the DX9 drivers to make it run ???

I was planning to do a new clean install of Vista, to repair any possible driver corruption, but not looking forward to that.

Maybe I'll try the newest Alpha (67) first and see if the problem persists....

cheers

stefan (hey I love those topology tools !)

• Advanced Member
Please look this post:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?s=&...ost&p=15891

It may be helpful

If that doesn't fix it, try underclocking your card in the nvidia settings and/or running your pc with the case open and a fan blowing in (just to test). It might be a heat related issue that is causing the restarts. If lowering the clock speed and/or open case fixes it, it's probably a heat issue (which you can resolve by increasing airflow within the case). I had a similar problem with my old 6800 a while ago and it turned out the heatsink was full of dust (causing it to overheat after about 10 mins of playing certain games).

The nvidia settings also have a diagnostic suite that runs stress tests on various components. That might help track the problem down.

Thanks for the link Stefan. This was an interesting quote from what nVidia said:

Note that some older Microsoft DirectX applications may render to a black screen at the end of the TDR, requiring the user to restart these applications.

I don't have to restart 3DC, just maximize it to force a screen refresh, but otherwise that's what happens to me. Andrew, maybe there's an updated version of the UI tools you use. I don't really know what I'm talking about, just trying to be helpful.

• Advanced Member

The development of this tool is so fast and furious, I'm having a bit of trouble keeping track of what's supposed to be working right now and what's not.

Here's what I cannot get to work where direct painting is concerned.....

Cavity painting doesn't work

Apply UV doesn't work and model disappears when going back to paint brush

I've been using UVMapper first.

Is this the way it is right now?

Build 67

Windows XP Media

3gb ram

Athlon duo 64 bit

Nvidia 8600 GT

The development of this tool is so fast and furious, I'm having a bit of trouble keeping track of what's supposed to be working right now and what's not.

Here's what I cannot get to work where direct painting is concerned.....

Cavity painting doesn't work

Apply UV doesn't work and model disappears when going back to paint brush

I've been using UVMapper first.

Is this the way it is right now?

Build 67

Windows XP Media

3gb ram

Athlon duo 64 bit

Nvidia 8600 GT

Just choose "Auto mapping" in import dialog.

Apply UV does not works in ALPHA 67, but just now I have already made support of Apply UV.