3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
hello - I still cannot export to obj from VS -> DP some times with a quadrangulated model. The file will export but if I open the obj it's empty in blender and elsewhere

I can verify this kay_Eva. I just attempted to open an exported model to Blender and received a python error message, which talked about a floating point error.

I then tried to bring the same model back into 3-DC. No joy.....just a blank screen.

P. Monk

Okie i manage to reproduce the displacement shader bug.

1. Loading a texture into a layer and saving it ,re-open would cause the displacement shader error.

2. Painting on the Color in a layer and saving, re-open would cause the displacement shader error.

3. Painting on the Depth in a layer and saving, re-open would cause the displacement shader error.

4. Painting on the Specular in a layer and saving, re-open would cause the displacement shader error.

I tried to do that but no luck - all works fine :(

Can you send me base mesh or 3B file, maybe it will help.

In DX version after opening a file with the displacement shader error, Do not close 3DC and import something new for DP, this will cause the exploding mesh in the viewport.

That was reproduced and fixed today.

• Advanced Member
I tried to do that but no luck - all works fine :(

Can you send me base mesh or 3B file, maybe it will help.

Sorry here are some new steps to reproduce it:

1. load mesh for DP with some subdivision , chose any texture size.

2. load displacement map into current layer.

3. Save file. give it a name "Test". Close 3DCoat.

4. Open "Test".

5. Save it as a different file name or just save again(override, Ctrl + S). Now close 3DCoat.

6. Open last saved file.

OR

1. load mesh for DP with some subdivision , chose any texture size.

2. load displacement map into current layer.

3. Paint color,depth, specular or Load a texture into a layer(anyone of those well cause the shader error) into Layer 0.

4. Save file. give it a name "Test". Close 3DCoat.

5. Open "Test".

6. Save it as a different file name or just save again(override, Ctrl + S). Now close 3DCoat.

7. Open last saved file.

Those 2 method will cause the shader error everytime. hope that helps! :D

• Advanced Member
It was that! Thanks!

:drinks: Cool , i edit my post on top with new steps in case you missed it. I hope my file i was working on with alpha 74 is okie i assume its just a shader error not the file being corrupted.

• Advanced Member
I have been having troubles rendering certain shaders ever since version 69 on Both Mac pro with Nvidia 8800 and a Dell XPS win xp Nvidia 7950. Certain shaders will not render. Such as the grey clay and many others. Any one else seeing this?

Im still having this problem is anyone else????????

I plan to release V3 during May. It is very realistic. This week I will finish DP. I will spend 2-3 weeks over interface reworking, several weeks for final bugfiixing, making manual and promo.

Will you be releasing incremental updates to test like you do now for the interface, or will you wait until you have most of it done and then release the udpate? (For testing that is)

• Advanced Member
Ok, fixed. Really it is just TBN space calculation error. So your file is OK :)

Great looking forward to using Alpha 75 for that fix :)

Couple of bugs. First when I open a VS sculpture, especially after a crash. It looks like this strange shader. As soon as I pick another (or the same) shader it looks fine.

http://screencast.com/t/oRnjOgy767l

Also with transpose, it seems to be working backwards with symmetry turned on. Pushing in with the "move" diamonds makes the mesh come out. If you turn symmetry off it works normaly.

http://screencast.com/t/MF9EmzsecaM

Probably part of that same bug is the rotation. With symmetry on it ignores the beginning pivot location and rotates from the middle of the selection.

Also you used to be able to smooth out the transpose mask after you've painted it on. At some point that feature disappeared and I mentioned it then, but it never came back.

• Contributor

alpha74 dx

still a lot of seams on normal maps when using "merge for per pixel painting".

Regardess if you are using other package uvs or 3dcoat automapping.

The good thing is those seams are only display problem.

• Advanced Member

Alpha74 GL

I tried to paint a normal map with the new DP features, and I got visible seams when I paint accross them.

I don't know if it is linked to the software I used for Laying out my uv, but just in case I used UVLayout.

Updated to V75

Changes:

1) Stamp mode in E panel was remade in more convenient way and works now in all modes - painting and VS (except surface tools)

2) Multiple bugfixes as it was reported

3) Subpatching in realtime during stroking

4) Fixed raw voxel export

I noted several esseential issues that should be fixed - seams across imported normalmap, better cavity detecting, VS->DP integration, tearing in VS, shaders issues, several more. They require more essential experimenting, so it will be done, but now I should start interface and then return to overall refinement of all tools.

My plan over interface:

- make possibility of docks

- make all existing windows dockable

- rearrange main menu

- rearrange all tools as it was described by Shadow

I will make frequent updates, but anyway first stage requires much work, so new updates will start in a week or so.

I noted several esseential issues that should be fixed - seams across imported normalmap, better cavity detecting, VS->DP integration, tearing in VS, shaders issues, several more. They require more essential experimenting, so it will be done, but now I should start interface and then return to overall refinement of all tools.

My plan over interface:

- rearrange main menu

I will make frequent updates, but anyway first stage requires much work, so new updates will start in a week or so.

Sounds like a good plan, after Interface implementation is done, bug fixes and optimizations could be considered beta stage, and it seems quite achievable for your expected release of May.

I would of thought using Qt library being that it's free or commercial (LGPL) and would help with virtually no code changes between PC/Mac/Linux compiles, OGL/DX and also helps with language translations too. http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/ But i think that standard features like docking etc, is fairly standard throughout the Qt SDK. I also see other companies like Newtek, and Daz both heading that way too.

Either way look forward to next week.

• Advanced Member
Updated to V75

Changes:

1) Stamp mode in E panel was remade in more convenient way and works now in all modes - painting and VS (except surface tools)

2) Multiple bugfixes as it was reported

3) Subpatching in realtime during stroking

4) Fixed raw voxel export

My plan over interface:

- rearrange main menu

thanks for the bug fixes! Looking forward to the GUI update next week :clapping:

Awesome! Andrew, thanks for having an open alpha test period and for listening to your users in the way that you do. It makes the users feel like they are part of the team, and it helps take the program in a great direction.

Glad to see features are nailed down, and I am looking forward to seeing your new interface in action. I must admit though, I've grown fond of the current one and am used to it... :good::brush:

My plan over interface:

- rearrange main menu

Don't forget on multi-monitor support - possibility of dragging (for exmalple) UV layout out of the main window of 3D Coat. I think it's very important.

Don't forget on multi-monitor support - possibility of dragging (for exmalple) UV layout out of the main window of 3D Coat. I think it's very important.

Indeed. I believe that is what dockable/movable panels will do. Should be nice.

Found a bug.

When exporting for per pixel painting a VS, and then canceling the retopology will crash 3DCoat.

I mentioned that a few days ago, I assume that's one of the bugs Andrew is working on.

Edit to save space: This may not be a bug, but something that could use improving. The Pinch tool in VS (not Vox Pinch) creates a slight geometric pattern around the sides of the part you're pinching. In the case below I could smooth it out, but not if I had already put some finer details like wrinkles or pores in there.

2009-04-07_1843.png

• Advanced Member
pinch is "collapse" in the sculpting mode (the icon for sculpting mode looks like a bust)... but this modifiies the underlying geometry, so if you already have a displacement map you could run into troubles. If you're looking to make a pinch/wrinkle, you might try using the sharp pen in regular paint with the control key (and smooth on each side of the stroke afterwards).

Thanks for the info. Changing topology isn't a problem, so I give collapse a try.

My plan over interface:

- rearrange main menu

Thank you.

Don't forget to give the possibility to save user gui-setups, including the keyboard shortcuts.

Best regards

Chris

• Advanced Member

I have some problems displaying this thread since yesterday.

There is always the firt post of Andrew on the top of the page, with the download links to 3dcoat and the very long version history of the alpha, and sometimes I cannot find newest posts.

Am I alone ?