3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

I liked the previous implementation of stamp mode where you could slide the pen shape across the surface with the LMB to precisely place it while maintaining the size and depth . In the new mode the LMB increases the size and depth of the pen shape instead of sliding it.

• Advanced Member
I liked the previous implementation of stamp mode where you could slide the pen shape across the surface with the LMB to precisely place it while maintaining the size and depth . In the new mode the LMB increases the size and depth of the pen shape instead of sliding it.

Perhaps a simple press on the CTRL key could temporarily slide it then go back to altering size once released. Or vice versa.

• Advanced Member
Perhaps a simple press on the CTRL key could temporarily slide it then go back to altering size once released. Or vice versa.

A hot key to toggle the action would be good, but probably not the CTRL key. It is set to depress the surface by default.

v75 . Andrew I still get this error, about once per two hours. It happens when pixel painting, just normal paint strokes, 3dc will hang, cpu will be maxed out at 50%, internet will go down. when I go to manually close the application I get this error:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135) . Click on OK to terminate the application"

Just wanted to give you a heads up. I could say I can predict it happening once every 2 hours of pixel painting. (lots of successive strokes). However its impossible to predict.

great work andrew

i have a wish :

Can you think to possible to integrate align camera ortho view with custon plan

ex : i want to select a one poly and camera align with normal

Why because i work with dp for architecture or packaging object

and for integrate complexe graphic charts is realy intéresting

best regard

Can you think to possible to integrate align camera ortho view with custon plan

This is a good idea I was thinking of putting the sign images on my building model and most of them are along X or Z so it's fine, but a few are at odd angles so currently I would have to guess at the camera angle.

Hmm... Actually now that I think of it that may not be necessary for me. Since my signs are all UV mapped and we can now use materials in the 2D editor, so I could just paint it right on the image map. Maybe that could help you too, maya69. The suggestion would still be helpful for other situations though.

I haven't had any problems like that and I've used v3 build 75 already for more then a 5 hour sitting.

yea but are you using pixel paint for more than 2 hours at a time doing painting like brush strokes? if im the only one then problem solved.. :) Its happened like clockwork since v67

yea but are you using pixel paint for more than 2 hours at a time doing painting like brush strokes? if im the only one then problem solved.. :) Its happened like clockwork since v67

Yes awnold, as I stated, I am.

Problem not solved.

You should really test out your machine first. The "bug" you're encountering doesn't seem to happen to anyone else.

• Advanced Member

I tested the recently added "branching curves" tool. It's showing a lot of potential, as in, it is shaping up to be very potential competition to ZBrush's ZSpheres tool. Wow. :)

I ran into a few issues. Maybe these are already known, but I'll put them here just in case:

- After drawing a branching curve, scaling the "parent" node does not scale the "child" curve's thickness accordingly. Actually I don't know how I can scale the child curve's thickness at all

- If you try to draw several nodes in sequence, the "currently selected node" sometimes changes to the first node, causing the first node get connected to the most recently drawn one. Of course, when I tried to reproduce this to make a screenshot, it didn't happen :nea:

- If you activate "Apply to whole curve", it still only works on the "master" curve. This is otherwise OK, but if you Move a curve with the "apply to whole" flag on, the curves will be pulled apart and the hierarchy breaks.

- Undo works inconsistently. For example, if you try to Undo the "apply to all" move due to the broken results, the undo doesn't restore the state prior to the move

- Symmetry works to some extent, but like with ZSpheres, it would be nice if there was a "snap to symmetry axis", and any nodes drawn at the symmetry plane would be merged into one. Also, it appears that the symmetry's preview geometry's normals are inverted (one curve is shaded normally, the symmetric curve is shaded "inside out").

Thank you for your time. :)

• Advanced Member
v75 . Andrew I still get this error, about once per two hours. It happens when pixel painting, just normal paint strokes, 3dc will hang, cpu will be maxed out at 50%, internet will go down. when I go to manually close the application I get this error:

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135) . Click on OK to terminate the application"

Just wanted to give you a heads up. I could say I can predict it happening once every 2 hours of pixel painting. (lots of successive strokes). However its impossible to predict.

I think this is not a 3D-Coat bug. A quick google search of the error message revealed that you have to install the latest .NET framework from microsoft. This error appears in relation to many applications that use .NET.

-Oliver

What's this branching curves thing? I missed that somehow.

I was so annoyed today. I went to this meeting where there were several other 3D artists. They were all still students but we'll be working on the same paid project together. They had apparently learned ZBrush in school and I was trying to explain 3DC (I had alpha 75 open in front of them). And it seemed like they just didn't get it. I was explaining about voxels and the one guy is like "Oh yeah, ZBrush uses voxels too". So I brought up the painting aspect and they said yeah you can paint in ZB too. Argh! So when I got home I made up this image. I only had the email address of when one the guys, so I'm hoping he forwards it. I explained in detail and with videos many of the things that 3DC can do that ZB can't.

th_zb_mess.jpg

I think the front page of the site really needs a more clear and simple list of things 3DC does that the other apps don't in big bold letters so nobody can miss it. The biggest hurdle in getting people to love 3DC seems to be just getting them to try it once. I feel like once you've tried it you'll be hooked.

• Advanced Member

It's quite straightforward. Just activate the Curves tool create a curve of a few points. Then click and select one of the points in the middle of the curve and click outside the curve to create another point. The curve actually branches out from the middle node, instead of from the end node.

See:

post-1255-1239276408_thumb.png

Oh, I've been doing that for a long time. You said it was recently added, I thought you meant something else.

A bug with the Stamp tool: If you try to make the stamp too big, it starts to tear apart the mesh. Here's a quick video showing it:

http://screencast.com/t/ukVrEdHxr

When using the two "hair" pen images with the stamp tool they flip around like in this quick vid.

http://screencast.com/t/XpDRJax2

• Advanced Member

I was so annoyed today. I went to this meeting where there were several other 3D artists. They were all still students but we'll be working on the same paid project together. They had apparently learned ZBrush in school and I was trying to explain 3DC (I had alpha 75 open in front of them). And it seemed like they just didn't get it. I was explaining about voxels and the one guy is like "Oh yeah, ZBrush uses voxels too". So I brought up the painting aspect and they said yeah you can paint in ZB too. Argh! So when I got home I made up this image. I only had the email address of when one the guys, so I'm hoping he forwards it. I explained in detail and with videos many of the things that 3DC can do that ZB can't.

th_zb_mess.jpg

I know this sounds pessimistic and cynical but your better off not bothering. best way to get people to use a software i've found is show them finished pieces, impress them and then let them come to the software themselves. that way noones blaming anyone when something crashes.

I have not, but I found this old one on YouTube when I was getting the URL's from mine.

I know this sounds pessimistic and cynical but your better off not bothering. best way to get people to use a software i've found is show them finished pieces, impress them and then let them come to the software themselves. that way noones blaming anyone when something crashes.

It would be a shame if that's the case, but it may be. What's even more sad is that I mentioned the low price as such a great feature and they just said they get ZBrush from The Pirate bay. They seemed to all agree that they would just download whatever they needed until they could get a client to buy them software.

• Advanced Member

They had apparently learned ZBrush in school and I was trying to explain 3DC (I had alpha 75 open in front of them). And it seemed like they just didn't get it. I was explaining about voxels and the one guy is like "Oh yeah, ZBrush uses voxels too". So I brought up the painting aspect and they said yeah you can paint in ZB too.

To be honest if they are saying stuff like that with 3d coat being demo'd in front of their faces then they obviously dont understand much about zbrush or 3d coat. Zbrush requires special workflows or workarounds to do things that should be simple features.

Whereas 3D coat looks like it is moving towards a much more wysiwig interface that can export and import into a production pipeline at any needed point. Wether its texturing, sculpting or retopo 3D coat gives you what you expect and doesnt make you jump through hoops to get there - 3D coat just needs a lot of refinement so that it doesnt just have the tools but has tools which feel better or as good as the competition.

Showing finished pieces isnt necessarily going to show why 3D coat is different, I mean people can make fantastic basemeshes in thier 3d app before they go into zbrush and end up with something that looks like it was voxel sculpted.

yeah most uni students rely on pirated software, I found that to be the case at university anyway. students want to be professionals, professionals use professional software - therefore students use professional software.

• Advanced Member
Showing finished pieces isnt necessarily going to show why 3D coat is different, I mean people can make fantastic basemeshes in thier 3d app before they go into zbrush and end up with something that looks like it was voxel sculpted.

Unfortunately a lot of people are actually sold on both aspects of this arguement. This happed recently at my studio.. It actually took a combination of the front end gallery getting it's update showing quality models created using 3DCoat and me, personally giving a quick demo of how good the retopology tools are for others to make the purchase.

I think 1st impressions definately make an impact and when a top quality model is showcasing a particular app it comes across as more professional & inspires.

• Advanced Member
I have not, but I found this old one on YouTube when I was getting the URL's from mine.

It would be a shame if that's the case, but it may be. What's even more sad is that I mentioned the low price as such a great feature and they just said they get ZBrush from The Pirate bay. They seemed to all agree that they would just download whatever they needed until they could get a client to buy them software.

It's not worth your time. I think we can sometimes be consumed with being right that we forget about our main objectives.

Besides, most 3d artists are usually married to the first piece of software they learn. Then there are artists who are married to the hype or the artwork that is being produced in that package. You can't tell me that the pixologic gallery isn't full of amazing pieces. Migration only occurs when users are not satisfied with their software. Also everyone is able to say they've tried softimage or lightwave or maya but there are very few 3d artists that have gone all out in production using one piece of software. The most unfortunate thing I see more and more often, is a lack of credit for the artist. When someone sees a good piece of 3d art. Everyone asks, what software? As if the software made it all happen and that the artist is just someone who tags along and takes credit for the work.

Anyways, 3dcoat is an awesome piece of software and if they can't see the potential, that is fine. It's their loss. Just make good work with the software that you use. The results do the preaching.

This also the same philosophy I use for preaching the gospel, by living a life that honors and glorifies God. They see what God does in my life rather than me having to tell them. The results do the preaching.

• Advanced Member
Also everyone is able to say they've tried softimage or lightwave or maya but there are very few 3d artists that have gone all out in production using one piece of software. The most unfortunate thing I see more and more often, is a lack of credit for the artist. When someone sees a good piece of 3d art. Everyone asks, what software? As if the software made it all happen and that the artist is just someone who tags along and takes credit for the work.

fully agree with what you said. Seems silly to assume the stuff in zbrushcentral wouldnt have been possible without zbrush, of course it would, it would just mean the artist using a different tool. It seems to me its just us artists that start to really appreciate certain names in the industry and the talent and skill they show, the rest of society just looks at the final result(film,game whatever) and asks "what company" "what software" "what engine" "what director" and sometimes "what artists" but like you say thats rare even in art/design circles.

I use c4d at work but always used 3dsmax before that, at home Im thinking of buying nevercenter silo and 3d coat to make game art. I just want the right tools for the job at the right cost :)

I think the front page of the site really needs a more clear and simple list of things 3DC does that the other apps don't in big bold letters so nobody can miss it. The biggest hurdle in getting people to love 3DC seems to be just getting them to try it once. I feel like once you've tried it you'll be hooked.

Remember this - people listen only to three words - faster, easier, more comfortable (that were in fact four words). To say anything else is in vain.

• Advanced Member

A pretty gallery won't sell anything because nobody knows how much postwork been done to it and which parts of the image actually been created with 3D-Coat, so most people who plan on purchasing a copy ignore the gallery. It's only eyecandy. It been said already but it should be said again, a hands on demo of 3D-Coat or a couple of videos showing off how this and that feature works especially in combination with popular external applications definately helps sell the product to future consumers. Artists are hungry for tools to improve the quality of their work and the speed at which they produce it, if 3DC can give it to them they will come anyways because in any way you see it word of mouth is the most powerful salesman of all. No video or hands on demo can beat that. :)

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

I don't even really try to tell people stuff like that anymore because they make it almost torturous for you. Maya users don't want to hear about Blender. Blender hardcore don't care about 3dCoat. Photoshop people don't want to hear about Paint.NET. Torque users don't listen about Blade3d. It's just like "okay, be stupid ^^"

• Advanced Member

No offense, but I feel some of the comments in this thread, while all valid in their own right, are taking it off topic a bit. Let's try to post such things in other threads on the forum maybe?

I just don't want this thread to stray to far away from bug fixing and feature refinement.

No offense, but I feel some of the comments in this thread, while all valid in their own right, are taking it off topic a bit. Let's try to post such things in other threads on the forum maybe?

I just don't want this thread to stray to far away from bug fixing and feature refinement.

My apologies, I started it.

he application failed to initialize properly (*********) . Click on OK to terminate the application

My apologies on this is the error, but those numbers are wrong, tried to get a screenshot of it this time but there are no resources available when this happens. Anyways take it for what it is. might just wana ignore it Andrew.