3DCoat Forums

Hey Andrew,

When do you think you'll have the first build up with the new interface?

In a couple of days. Of course it will not be fully remade interface, docking, tabbing, changed layout (no right panel, it will be done in other way with preserving functionality).

There is really much work, also yesterday I was not working, was in eye clinic for consulting (all is ok, just need to make some checks).

Must keep those eyes healthy. Gotta see to code! :p

BTW when I used the technique described by wailingmonkey above it worked, I was able to make the UV map in LW and bring it into retopo, but the map came in upside down. Shouldn't be a problem for me this time, but it should be looked into at some point.

In a couple of days. Of course it will not be fully remade interface, docking, tabbing, changed layout (no right panel, it will be done in other way with preserving functionality).

There is really much work, also yesterday I was not working, was in eye clinic for consulting (all is ok, just need to make some checks).

Absolutely, make sure you're in tip-top shape sir! What good is your gift if you can't see to use it? :) Good health to you.

...And thanks for the update. Much obliged. :good:

• Advanced Member

As long as its like shadow's mock up GUI, i love the layout. Yes take care of your eye. I can only see out of my right eye, but i still feel bless :D

I mentioned the bug about having to re-attach all of the points from the retopo mesh to the base model after importing it above. Another problem with it is that I'll sit here for a couple hours doing that, then if 3DC crashes or my computer crashes or something I load the 3B file back up and the UV map is gone. So I have to import the mesh again and start all over. This is either with my saved file or an autosave file.

OK I had my VS model done, I did the retopo, then I needed to correct the UVs. So I exported the retopo mesh and fixed the UVs in LightWave. Then back in 3DC I hit Clear Mesh to remove the old Retopo. Now I hit Import External Mesh and load the mesh with the corrected UVs. the attached screenshot is what I get. I circled many of the areas where you can see the points are now inside the model and many other that you probably can't see here are floating above the model. So I have to go in with Tweak Vertices and make sure every point is stuck to the surface of the model, not inside or floating outside.

post-466-1239789906_thumb.jpg

OK I had my VS model done, I did the retopo, then I needed to correct the UVs. So I exported the retopo mesh and fixed the UVs in LightWave. Then back in 3DC I hit Clear Mesh to remove the old Retopo. Now I hit Import External Mesh and load the mesh with the corrected UVs. the attached screenshot is what I get. I circled many of the areas where you can see the points are now inside the model and many other that you probably can't see here are floating above the model. So I have to go in with Tweak Vertices and make sure every point is stuck to the surface of the model, not inside or floating outside.

The first question is why positions of vertices was changed in comparison to what was exported from 3DC. Is it possible that positions was smoothed in LW by some reason.

The first question is why positions of vertices was changed in comparison to what was exported from 3DC. Is it possible that positions was smoothed in LW by some reason.

That's a good question. I don't think LightWave should've done anything, all I did was make the uv and save. The geometry shouldn't have changed at all.

I tried the same procedure with this very detailed and accurate sculpture of Abraham Lincoln and it worked just fine. What's more interesting is that with Mr. Lincoln I can not drag the points away from the surface no matter how hard I try. The imported UV map is still upside down though.

post-466-1239799891_thumb.jpg

BTW it looks like the problem with the UV map disappearing is that it isn't getting saved with the 3B file. I guess it will after it's been merged for painting, but not while it's still in it's retopo form.

• Contributor

[quote name='philnolan3d'

I tried the same procedure with this very detailed and accurate sculpture of Abraham Lincoln and it worked just fine.

That's funny! :lol:

Coincidentally, I just made a bust of Lincoln a couple of weeks ago.Although I don't think mine is quite as precise as yours.Great job!

I've been building up a large body of work that I will post soon. :)

Hmm Looks like the server went down for a few minutes. Not a huge deal, but the bigger problem is the way I knew it went down. I was working away in 3DC when this error pops up saying "Warning! Your serial number is not valid. You should exit immediately.". It might be a good idea to have a backup server so that 3DC could check one or the other. I can only imagine this happening in the future when suddenly thousands of confused users start sending you emails about their serial number. Also even though the server is back, the message is still on my screen. I can't close 3DC right now due to the bug mentioned above about the UV map not saving. So if you get some kind of message that I'm using a bad serial please disregard it.

Hmm Looks like the server went down for a few minutes. Not a huge deal, but the bigger problem is the way I knew it went down. I was working away in 3DC when this error pops up saying "Warning! Your serial number is not valid. You should exit immediately.". It might be a good idea to have a backup server so that 3DC could check one or the other. I can only imagine this happening in the future when suddenly thousands of confused users start sending you emails about their serial number. Also even though the server is back, the message is still on my screen. I can't close 3DC right now due to the bug mentioned above about the UV map not saving. So if you get some kind of message that I'm using a bad serial please disregard it.

Excuse. Very strange. If server is down, it should not check serial numbers... Anyway I will discuss it with webmaster. Really server had strange failure today.

Possibly server was partially failed, for example PHP works but databases to check was failed.

Anyway, your note is very helpful to prevent it in future.

• Applink Developer

You are not that bad, BluEgo. I'm doing it like 20+ times each day. I have started to learn russian that I could read russian part of this forum :gamer1: Just kidding..BTW today I removed my windows. Now I have only Ubuntu. I'm using 3d-coat with Wine.

Ouch... I am refreshing this thread something like 10 times each day, hoping to see the new beta release with changes to the interface :)

Don't worry. What is done:

- dockability (100%)

- moving all existing windows to dockable form (90%)

Possibly I will make update tomorrow, but anyway all is slightly raw now.

All moves slightly slower then expected because me and children cought a cold, they require more attension then usually.

Don't worry. What is done:

- dockability (100%)

- moving all existing windows to dockable form (90%)

Possibly I will make update tomorrow, but anyway all is slightly raw now.

All moves slightly slower then expected because me and children cought a cold, they require more attension then usually.

You don't need to release a new version just to "feed the animals". ;)

It is better to release a version, if you are more shure to show it.

Get well soon!

Most of our family feel better. Working is not hard to me. These days I just need to pay much more attention to family. Anyway all goes weel. There is screenshot. Problem - I don't know what to do with 3 blobs (depth color specular). I don't want remove them (useful for new peoples and quick to use, familiar, etc) but they look not pretty. Now all windows are dockable. It was most complex task - change mechanics of dialogs system. Style is not tweaked well, no rooms still, but it are not first tasks on this stage.

post-1-1240039901_thumb.png

• Advanced Member
Most of our family feel better. Working is not hard to me. These days I just need to pay much more attention to family. Anyway all goes weel. There is screenshot. Problem - I don't know what to do with 3 blobs (depth color specular). I don't want remove them (useful for new peoples and quick to use, familiar, etc) but they look not pretty. Now all windows are dockable. It was most complex task - change mechanics of dialogs system. Style is not tweaked well, no rooms still, but it are not first tasks on this stage.

Hey, that looks pretty nice. :good:

• Advanced Member

Looks not bad.

About the font: I always feel the font in 3DC interface looks not comfortable (like pixel painted text). Maybe this is noting to do with the font itself, but it's the method how 3DC render the font. Any chance let 3DC use system font or create a render method that let the font looks as smooth as the system font?