3DCoat Forums

Like Amber said in post 3739 I too am having this problem. I can restart 3DC and it's still like that so I think I have to reinstall.

3dc_ui_bug.jpg

Another issue is when switching between tabs (maybe switching too quickly) I find that the right side, which is supposed to have 3 sections, suddenly has 1. 2 of them disappear and I have to load and dock them again if I want them back.

Edit: Oh wait, for now resizing the window fixes the problem with the left bar in the middle.

• Advanced Member
This is after merging from voxels. Not loading a base mesh.

Yeah, but it wasn't always that way. I haven't tested out displacement export recently but I suspect it's probably not accurate as a result of this change. All in all, it's not a huge deal since I can just generate one in blender from a subdivided base mesh and a mid poly reference.

But again, I haven't tested out displacement export recently, so it might work perfectly (or even improved). if all that works perfectly, layer 0's change is a non-issue.

CUDA is NOT going anywhere, Nvidia are well on there way for release of 2.2. And many other releases beyond that.

And have invested way too much time and money on this technology, will not be leaving it or abandoning this tech. So forget what a few LW users don't know.. :)

Andrew should now be able to change the way CUDA is distributed, I believe the latest license allows Andrew to distribute CUDART.DLL with 3DC itself. (As of recently) So Andrew should be able to compile with say the new version 2.2 (beta) and release the CUDART.DLL binary with 3DC, rather than needing us to download the appropriate Toolkit. EULA now gives right to distribute Nvidia libraries. http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compu...EULA_081215.pdf

I'm sure this would be good for Andrew in final release as it would cause less confusion for new and potential customers. Andrew would need to compile 2.2 with 3DC, and then users will already have CUDART rather than downloading the toolkiit in the future. All more modern drivers from Nvidia support CUDA, but the toolkit is still needed (but not really anymore) if Andrew updates 3DC.

So the tookit should only be necessary for developers in the future, Customers will just need Application with CUDA (3DC) and Nvidia drivers for it all to work well.

Well I think you've read too many "The CUDA sky is falling" threads and confused what I asked with one of those. ;)

Whether or not CUDA is going anywhere, the point is, the 3DC Alpha instructions are to install a particular display driver set with it, one which is older than the current. I'm not asking about how CUDA is going to change or not change, but if 3DCoat is going to be locked in to a particular display driver set at all times if one wants to use CUDA.

as far as i know CUDA now is part of standard nvidia drivers - i am using latest WHQL version from nvidia website and everything works fine

Ah, I hadn't noticed this reply until after I made the one above. Thanks, I'll try installing it without using the older driver and see what happens.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

thats weird, i have the same problem like philnolan3d. It happens with every merge to scene, not only with some models. Im on Vista64.

I hope you catch this bug, because im currently always switching to Zbrush to project the mesh details onto the low poly mesh.

E.

Andrew,

thats weird, i have the same problem like philnolan3d. It happens with every merge to scene, not only with some models. Im on Vista64.

I hope you catch this bug, because im currently always switching to Zbrush to project the mesh details onto the low poly mesh.

E.

Possibly I found the reason, I will upload new alpha and you will be able to check.

• Advanced Member
Well I think you've read too many "The CUDA sky is falling" threads and confused what I asked with one of those. ;)

Whether or not CUDA is going anywhere, the point is, the 3DC Alpha instructions are to install a particular display driver set with it, one which is older than the current. I'm not asking about how CUDA is going to change or not change, but if 3DCoat is going to be locked in to a particular display driver set at all times if one wants to use CUDA.

You have a point, but it seems nvidia is moving towards open CL. Just saw this on NVIDIA's site:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1240224603372.html

They're releasing an OpenCL SDK to developers.^^

More on OpenCL:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_opencl.html

Updated to V78

Changes:

1) New UV & Retopo interfaces

2) Possibility to change pivot point in camera menu

3) More extended info line in voxel and retopo tools

4) Long standing important bugs in voxel tool are fixed:

- wrong transpose tool work

- artifacts during painting after undo in incremental render mode

- wrong baking and projecting points

• Applink Developer

This is great! Great program is getting better and better. Thanks Andrew. One thing. When you rotate using around "world" and "object bound box" It seems that it hard to control which direction you want to go. It just feels a little bit uncontrolled. But Retopo tools are a very nice update. So much faster.

Just small bugs. If you create sphere then create another layer and create second sphere next to first one. Then if you are using rotate around "bound box" If you select second layer, rotate will transfer as it should. but if you go back to first one then rotate is not moving back. But this is just a tiny bug.

Edit: Rotation seems to work just fine. It is just me that dosen't work :D

2) Possibility to change pivot point in camera menu

Woohoo!!! :yahoo:

One small bug in this feature. If you use Last Draw Point, then switch to bounding box, it still looks at the draw point. Drawing on the model clears this so that bounding box works correctly.

If you can figure out how to use Screen Center this collection would be perfect.

BTW 78 overwrote my old settings, so now I'm using the dark version. How can I switch back to light?

I think the Language menu could really be moved to the options panel. That's the kind of thing where you select it once, then in theory you never touch it again.

Slight problem in the naming. There's two tabs called Materials that mean two different things. One is a list of surface (shader / material) names in the object, the other is all of the Materials you paint with like the tartan or elephant skin.

Merging is SO close! The merge process was faster and smoother and was perfect except for 3 small spots on the back of my old man's head.

2009-04-27_1321.png

Do you know good method to reproduce it?

I haven't been able to nail it down precisely. Sometimes it happens when I start up v77. Sometimes it happens when I change tabs/rooms in v77.

hey andrew, the new alpha is great.

one question, is it possible to switch between triangle and quad count in retopo tool?

if i wont make a gamemodel, in the most times i have a polycount in triangles.

and i dont take more than this count.

if it is possible to switch from "quad-counter" to "triangle-counter" it would be great. ^^

Andrew build 78 is FANTASTIC. I haven't been able to reproduce the "split screen" tool bar bug at all yet in it.

I did find a bug in the Retopology Tab with the "Select" tool. Sometimes you can't select any of the options, Vertices, Edges or Faces, unless you click multiple times on the Faces tickbox.

BTW, on the topic of retopology... You have seriously refined them beyond belief. These are THE absolute best retopology tools I've ever laid my hands on. Period. I'm enamored when using them, they are so simple, intuitive and powerful.

• Advanced Member
BTW, on the topic of retopology... You have seriously refined them beyond belief. These are THE absolute best retopology tools I've ever laid my hands on. Period. I'm enamored when using them, they are so simple, intuitive and powerful.

Ya. I thought blender's retopo was good until I used 3d coat. Blender has quite a few tools (stroke drawing, moving stuff around) but lacks stuff such as a smoothing tool, which I find invaluable. Only weak point I see is the UV layout tools (bugs in the unwrapper mainly, lack of live transform unwrapping). Overall it's a great tool. Thanks, andrew, for the prompt mac release!

ok, i have found a bug i see.

i use the "less on cavity" option, paint a bit.

then i click to the "color operation" tool and now the little preview window is minimized and i cant make it to a bigger size anymore.

bug.jpg

One thing I don't see, that is rather unintuitive is that the pen tab isn't by default in the sculpting or voxel tab. It's a real pain to switch back and forth to the paint tab just to change your pen settings. I know you can change it now, but, it should be there by default IMHO.

BTW 78 overwrote my old settings, so now I'm using the dark version. How can I switch back to light?

Go to View>Options>Load

Now pick a color scheme that suits you, then you can further adjust the colors with the color options in the middle of the options window.

Go to View>Options>Load

Now pick a color scheme that suits you, then you can further adjust the colors with the color options in the middle of the options window.

I don't know I tried that in 76 or 77 and it screwed up the whole UI, I had to reinstall. Actually I think the dark is starting to grow on me. Thanks though.

Has anyone else noticed that parameters sometimes get "stuck"?

I'll change a setting,and the GUI reflects the change, it doesn't jump back

to the old setting, but when drawing it's definitely using the old setting.

It can happen to almost any setting, though I don't remember

it ever happening with color.

I've had it happen most often with focal shift and pen tip.

This has been happening for me since before the new interface.

I used to think that it was some how related to user defined Presets,

but we seem to have lost Presets with the new interface and it's still happening

I wonder if it might be related to entering values numerically rather than using

a slider but that wouldn't explain a pen tip sticking.

I'm also still having trouble with transpose creating duplicate objects,

this seems to be related to switching between line and object modes.

Switching modes can also cause line mode to stop functioning

I've gotten the "left tool bar in the center of the screen issue" in v78.

This happened after a crash and was easily corrected while using the program

by switching to one of the other tabs and then going back to Paint.

But every time the program was closed and re-started the issue also re-started

Doing and uninstall/clean install took care of it.

On the plus side the retopo tools, including quadrangulate in the vox tree,

seem to be getting faster and more responsive with each new version

Win XP sp2 with the 3GB switch

Thanks,

-Jeff

In Retopo mode - Symmetry appears to not be working. Retopo mesh disappears.

Edit: NEVER MIND - I never had to do this before this build, but I had to check Invert Mirror to get it to work... :blink:

The retopo tools are amazing!