3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
With the GTX 285 coming to Mac, and the 8800gt in my system now, and CUDA already on OS X, why no Mac CUDA love? I have been playing with the mac and windows versions of the alpha, and am disappointed that the mac version does not offer CUDA acceleration. Is this in the works, or are there no plans for hardware acceleration on Leopard/Snow Leopard? I am also curios as to whether 3DC is doomed to remain 32-bit in OS X with the final release of V3.

Windows is the only platform has CUDA + 64bit.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=92481

Windows is the only platform has CUDA + 64bit.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=92481

Thanks, Akira, Yeah was aware that CUDA libraries are 32-bit on OSX ATM, but Andrew maintains a 32-bit 3DC windows build, and the Mac version is only 32-bit... so not sure what you mean here. They say they are working on 64-bit CUDA for Mac OS, and openCL as well for Snow Leopard. But that doesn't explain why the current 32-bit Mac version has no CUDA excelleration.... am I missing something?

Thanks, Akira, Yeah was aware that CUDA libraries are 32-bit on OSX ATM, but Andrew maintains a 32-bit 3DC windows build, and the Mac version is only 32-bit... so not sure what you mean here. They say they are working on 64-bit CUDA for Mac OS, and openCL as well for Snow Leopard. But that doesn't explain why the current 32-bit Mac version has no CUDA excelleration.... am I missing something?

...That there is no CUDA 64bit for OSX?

• Contributor

Ok some quick bug report from my side before software release. :)

Alpha 8O(even probably before that)

UNDO on various voxtree operation generate problems.

Andrew,if you can't fix them making those action not undoable with a hint saying (this action is final..bla..bla..bla)

will prevent users from complaining about those issues.

undos on "substract from" restore model to presubstract state but doesn't restore the substracted layer

undos of "delete" destroy the entire voxtree and replace all objects with objects named "root"

undos of "move to" destroy the entire voxtree and replace all objects with objects named "root"

All other commands undos works fine on my side. :)

Also(a very minor problem) when you rename a subobject the name doesn't get updated in the "change parent" list until

the .3b file is saved and reloaded.

also...(sorry :( )undos of pose actions works really bad:

some times it doesn't work at all

some times it undos a lot of step togethers instead of just the last step

Also the problem with Picmat shaders distorting the geometry display when pose /transform(scale) is used

needs to be fixed before realease.Akira talked about the reason it is happening but I can't remember where the post is located.

(try stretching the default sphere on y axis with picmat_grey on,you'll see what I mean.)

My workaround (maybe it can help you):

I clone the space density of the model before using a transform/pose scale action,

and when I'm finished doing the stretching I use "move to" to cloned space density

and that instantly restore the shading display to proper state.

Also the "hardness" of curves doesn't works,I mean it doesn't do what it implies,the curves swirl on themselves and end up looking completely distorted.

Right now the only way I've found to simulate hardness is to manually add a point beside each curve points.I think,this needs to be fixed simply because 3DCoat curves are so powerful and making straight lines is essential for sci-fi and ornemental design in gameart.

I'll try coming up with other clear problems if I see any. :)

...That there is no CUDA 64bit for OSX?

..... the mac version is 32-bit. As far as I know, that means it could not use 64-bit CUDA libraries anyway.... The 32-bit windows version is using 32-bit CUDA, right? ... so I really don't understand what the lack of 64-bit CUDA on OS X has do do with it, so I should rephrase my origional question:

Since the Mac V3 is 32-bit, and OSX has 32-bit CUDA, are there plans to implement CUDA in the Mac port?

• Advanced Member
Since the Mac V3 is 32-bit, and OSX has 32-bit CUDA, are there plans to implement CUDA in the Mac port?

Of Course, Andrew is working on it. That's exactly the reason why Andrew bought a MacBookPro(its graphic card support CUDA) for himself.

Of Course, Andrew is working on it. That's exactly the reason why Andrew bought a MacBookPro(its graphic card support CUDA) for himself.

But anyway I will not be able to do it until release. As always, some features like CUDA on OSX will be included in one of free updates.

64 bit & OSX is more essential problem. Apple has given the WORST-est dev tools for 64 bit :( Why do you think there is no Photoshop 64 bit for OSX?

I really hope they will change the situation under pressure of programmers from all world...

• Advanced Member
But anyway I will not be able to do it until release. As always, some features like CUDA on OSX will be included in one of free updates.

Cool! This is something I've been eagerly anticipating. Any plans to implement OpenCL when apple releases Snow Leopard?

The link for the latest beta is dead. Any help?

Click the link, then place your cursor into the address bar and hit ENTER on your keyboard.

• Advanced Member
Layer 0 - I still don't understand what this layer is for and have only had problems with if I actually paint on it. Just one example is Painting on it with a colour then using the erase tool will actually make the mesh transparent. By default it is the chosen layer after importing a mesh and I sometimes forget to move to Layer 1 and don't notice until it's too late. Please make it hidden to us.

I think that "Layer 0" should be renamed 'Base' (as in "a base coat of paint"), that would make it's role clearer. I'd also consider that painting over erased sections of this as bugged right now -- there doesn't seem to be a way of restoring the opacity back, where I'd expect this to naturally be the case using the brush tools. Painting low poly fences would be pretty easy like this.

I also think it has an additional purpose as the master layer for normals, IIRC normals painted on higher layers are either ignored or demoted in some way - I can't remember the specifics, hopefully Andrew can comment!

• Advanced Member
I think that "Layer 0" should be renamed 'Base' (as in "a base coat of paint"), that would make it's role clearer. I'd also consider that painting over erased sections of this as bugged right now -- there doesn't seem to be a way of restoring the opacity back, where I'd expect this to naturally be the case using the brush tools. Painting low poly fences would be pretty easy like this.

I also think it has an additional purpose as the master layer for normals, IIRC normals painted on higher layers are either ignored or demoted in some way - I can't remember the specifics, hopefully Andrew can comment!

I agree.. having the name Base seems to make more sense, and I also feel that if we shouldn't be making any changes to it we shouldn't be able to edit it in any way. It just confuses matters the way it is at the moment. The way it is currently almost feels like we have been exposed to a little bit of 'under the hood' workings of 3DCoat.

• Advanced Member
I agree.. having the name Base seems to make more sense, and I also feel that if we shouldn't be making any changes to it we shouldn't be able to edit it in any way. It just confuses matters the way it is at the moment. The way it is currently almost feels like we have been exposed to a little bit of 'under the hood' workings of 3DCoat.

There's definitely something I don't fully understand about the layer system -- the number of additional layers that are added when an OBJ is imported seems to vary, almost like you get one layer per material? this seems to contradict the way photoshops layer system a just a linear stack of layers per document. :pardon:

• Advanced Member
There's definitely something I don't fully understand about the layer system -- the number of additional layers that are added when an OBJ is imported seems to vary, almost like you get one layer per material? this seems to contradict the way photoshops layer system a just a linear stack of layers per document. :pardon:

I've only noticed the 'additional layers' on import as of the latest 2-3 alphas...before, it seemed we only had the 1 layer above

layer 0 when importing, so I'm just attributing it to either new coding on Andrews part, or potential side-effects from something else?

At any rate, I'd agree about the 'base' layer naming, and a potential solution would be to just 'Lock' that layer upon initialization, but still allow

for unlocking if folks want to remove from it for transparency in their workflow.

Updated to V81 (Win only)

Changes:

1) Many bugfixes (actually not all reported, but I noticed everything from this and beta thread)

2) Possibility to assign reference image for X, Y, Z

3) Render tab - you can render any objects there (not only VS)

4) Refining interface for retopo, voxels and UV

64 bit & OSX is more essential problem. Apple has given the WORST-est dev tools for 64 bit :( Why do you think there is no Photoshop 64 bit for OSX?

I really hope they will change the situation under pressure of programmers from all world...

Thanks. I am curious about how necessary 64-bit is, when 3DC on both xp and leopard becomes unusable before it runs out of ram. Even on my xp box with 2.8ghz core 2 duo, 4gigs ram, 8800gtx... 15M poly count is way too slow to sculpt. On XP (32-bit w/Cuda), brush strokes are super slow, and leave stange overlapping creases. On the mac @ 15M, even without Cuda, performance is better than xp, but instead of the strange creases, brush strokes leave some little spikey glitches.

Also, If I am getting slightly better performance already on the mac without CUDA, is there any reason to be worried about the lack of CUDA? It doesn't seem to be helping on my xp box.

Found another bug.

Build 81, when using the voxel tools such as Cut&Clone, Split, any tool really that uses a marquee selection type, can't be used in the viewport normally unless you're drag selecting over a voxel sculpt. This is essentially the same problem that was already fixed with the UV tools in viewports.

So far the only thing I've been playing with is the Render room. I've noticed a couple of things (this is all with a painted model). First you have to turn the light and ambient light intensities down to 0 or the lighting is way to intense on the model. Second the AO Percentage doesn't seem to do anything, it looks the same whether it's at 0 or 100. Fourth, at least with my model, the Light Scattering has to be at at least 0.13 or above or the lighting gets all blown out just like with point number one.

The render still feels muddy to me though, like it's desaturated or something. Maybe something to do with the AO or scattering

Quick test render attached.

post-466-1241546748_thumb.jpg

I've been having a hard time trying to figure out how to move the 2D plane for voxel tool, 2D Paint since the interface revision. How do you move it's orientation now?