3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
There is "Max" in depth blend modes. It is what you need.

Andrew,I think I got what I want!

I study the plane tool carefully,you have made it!but I need a little improve.the plane tool has three plane mode:make planar,cut off,fill mode.and the normal source has two type:first click point,current position.I want high source but not normal source!Let me explain what I need:I want sample the high value of the first click point(the intensity of the gray-scale map),then to cut off the higher,or fill the lower,or do the both(make planaer)!

so please add another sample source mode:high value,so there will be two sample source mode:normal and high value!sample the hight value can make horizontal plane,and sample normal can make slanting plane!Now I use the sample normal,I can't make horizontal plane!

• Contributor

-Voxel mode: now that we can pin the spacebar tool menu, why can't we get rid of the left tray tools ? Its wasting space for no reason (must be an option i think)

I've an idea for that matter: why don't use the radial placement used in paint mode with icons (text is not easy to spot when you try to work fast, icons is quicker) maybe a combo icon+label under it ?

It would accelerate the workflow drastically, think of the maya spacebar menu without the popup delay or even autodesk sketchbook pro "lagoon" with its sub menu (could even be applied to other interface items like shaders and even used in the other mode for homogeneity etc). I think this kind of user interface design is way faster/intuitive.

Lagoon: 2cdef3ab2cf35b%38%3016c5f0785477att.jpg

-ctrl+z > voxel tree showing up

-can we get a "clean outside of hull" option ? We can frequently have some small dots of voxels floating around the sculpt, the only way to erase it is smoothing, but sometime you smooth the model behind it :/

-You can't close directly a panel (shaders, voxtree etc): you need to detach it from docked state to be able to close it.

-We need a message when you start voxel sculpt with primitive: before you press enter: only the "builder" gizmo, not the actual object, shows up, new users will get confused with this black object with no shader thinking its the real deal.

-I get strange artefacts if I work too fast (and i'm not pushing it), mostly using the surface tools in voxel:

98969c0aa5d70e54e67ae2bdad827tt.jpg

(rapid and surface tool clay brush here)

-Another small problem, but i don't know if you can do something about it: the move tool smooth everything it moves, it means if you move an area, the entire mesh gets degraded, losing detail and such.

Other than these small problems (except the artefact thing which is really counterproductive, so unpredictable) the software is really getting awesome, and in so little time. I'm really impressed with your dev ability. I wish you good fortune in your life, you deserve it.

Small thing that could use improving. The "cutting tools" in the E panel have this popup panel that is too small. It just needs be a tiny bit taller and then it would not need a tiny slider to scroll up and down.

2009-05-26_0609.png

• Contributor

For the slider thing, i don't know about you, but the way zbrush handle it in his trays is nice, there is no need to actually point on an ui item to scroll, its quicker. And i agree about the size of handle bar in panels, I find it difficult to enlarge a portion of docked palet, i often click and detach the thing :/

I don't know since when this is happening, but it's definetely a bug in the current version (x64, DX, Vista64):

In UV mode, when you navigate and release the mousebutton you accidentaly mark the edge or edgeloop you are hovering over as a seam, almost all of the time. This makes UV unwrapping a tedious task.

EDIT: And another one in UV mode. If you use symmetry and SHIFT-select an edgeloop on the one side, only the single edge on the other side gets marked, while on the side you were working on a whole loop is selected.

I'm not sure adding buttons to the top row is the right answer, but as I was working I thought, boy wouldn't it be great and a whole lot quicker if I was able to visually see the Brushes or Pens Button and the Mask and Strip button, rather than having to search for them in a menu somewhere.

When I am sculpting I find I am hiding and showing objects quite frequently. I am also hiding and showing objects a lot when I am painting them so I think adding a button for the "Layers" and one for "Colors" too! would also be very helpful as I've described in my image and I would like to see it added to the Paint window as-well-as the Sculpt window if possible.

post-920-1243292461_thumb.jpg

post-920-1243295787_thumb.jpg

I REALLY LIKED THIS INTERFACE IMPROVEMENT!!! :clapping:

• Contributor
I REALLY LIKED THIS INTERFACE IMPROVEMENT!!! :clapping:

Yeah, but what about multiscreen users ? If you can't detach those 'dropdown menus' its a waste of workspace, and furthermore: i would totally hate to click on a drop down, see my color palette, then select my color, when i can do it with one click in docked/float mode, samething for layer, if you tend to work with lots of it it makes the task tedious...

If this is used as in photoshop (you can dock AND stack in the bar) its ok though.

Oh, while i'm here (sorry to ask so much, but i know you can handle it): is it possible to get an 'xpert mode toggle': press a shortcut and every panel, menus etc disappear letting you use the app in its full-screen glory ?

Yeah, but what about multiscreen users ? If you can't detach those 'dropdown menus' its a waste of workspace, and furthermore: i would totally hate to click on a drop down, see my color palette, then select my color, when i can do it with one click in docked/float mode, samething for layer, if you tend to work with lots of it it makes the task tedious...

If this is used as in photoshop (you can dock AND stack in the bar) its ok though.

Oh, while i'm here (sorry to ask so much, but i know you can handle it): is it possible to get an 'xpert mode toggle': press a shortcut and every panel, menus etc disappear letting you use the app in its full-screen glory ?

Multiscreen is impossible right now, at least before release because of all interface is rendered. I can render only in one window, but this functionality will be extended in future, I know it is important.

HAAARG :angry: Im having a hard time with the airbrush tool and a high value of spacing. Let me explain:

When using the airbrush mode and a high value of spacing (more than 70%) the tool "kicks" a strong stamp, even if you press very softly the wacom pen...

In the attached image you can see the airbrush mode (upper stroke) and the pen mode (lower stroke)

Pen optios are the same (spacing at 95%) and I pressed the wacom pen very gently/softly the same way with both tools.

Notice that with pen mode (lower stroke) you get a very nice soft round well distributed stroke, whereas with the airbrush mode (upper stroke) you get strong half sphere stamps without control of pressure...

Working with spacing is very important for the artist -- otherwise all the pen alphas will seem to be "scratching" the surface

post-507-1243354196_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Yeah, but what about multiscreen users ? If you can't detach those 'dropdown menus' its a waste of workspace, and furthermore: i would totally hate to click on a drop down, see my color palette, then select my color, when i can do it with one click in docked/float mode, samething for layer, if you tend to work with lots of it it makes the task tedious... If this is used as in photoshop (you can dock AND stack in the bar) its ok though.

Update! (See Image Below)

I don't see why both couldn't be incorporated. So you could have the drop down menus, and they could be detachable too! So if you clicked on the "Brushes" button for e.g. the palette of brushes would drop down, then you could detach or tear it off and place it anywhere on your screen, but the "Brushes" button would still remain at the top. If you wanted to close the detached "Brushes" window you could just select the "X" in the detached panel to close it. Since the buttons would always stay at the top of they would always be visible and easy to get at.

See the image for a better explanation. :)

post-920-1243357311_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

turning on show/hide displacement i get this japanese/chinese character all over my model, this happens in retopology and the render room(alpha 86):

post-564-1243357423_thumb.jpg

• Contributor
Update! (See Image Below)

I don't see why both couldn't be incorporated. So you could have the drop down menus, and they could be detachable too! So if you clicked on the "Brushes" button for e.g. the palette of brushes would drop down, then you could detach or tear it off and place it anywhere on your screen, but the "Brushes" button would still remain at the top. If you wanted to close the detached "Brushes" window you could just select the "X" in the detached panel to close it. Since the buttons would always stay at the top of they would always be visible and easy to get at.

See the image for a better explanation. :)

post-920-1243357311_thumb.jpg

I like it, this is better to have both possibility, i enjoy multi-solution applications :)

My download speed only several KB/S,It would take serveral hours to download RC86,can somebody provide another download link of RC86(cuda),thank you very much!

I can't reproduce your problems. My download was very fast.

• Advanced Member

Alpha-86[RC] BUG - Texture Editor only able to paint on top left quadrant of 0 -1 texture space

post-800-1243422526_thumb.jpg

Also just noticed another bug

You cannot use the smooth tool in the Texture Editor.

HAAARG :angry: Im having a hard time with the airbrush tool and a high value of spacing. Let me explain:

When using the airbrush mode and a high value of spacing (more than 70%) the tool "kicks" a strong stamp, even if you press very softly the wacom pen...

In the attached image you can see the airbrush mode (upper stroke) and the pen mode (lower stroke)

Pen optios are the same (spacing at 95%) and I pressed the wacom pen very gently/softly the same way with both tools.

Notice that with pen mode (lower stroke) you get a very nice soft round well distributed stroke, whereas with the airbrush mode (upper stroke) you get strong half sphere stamps without control of pressure...

Working with spacing is very important for the artist -- otherwise all the pen alphas will seem to be "scratching" the surface

Yes, spacing is really important, fixed.

• Advanced Member
Please send me the object, I will try to manage it.

grid_Tileable_offset.zip

There are 2 objects in this zip file, a simple grid with uvs stacked 0-1 texture space and one with 8 of the uvblocks outside of 0-1 space. Both suffer from the same problem in the texture editor.

Also just noticed another BUG with Syncing layers with external editor and Multiple objects in a scene.

e.g. Scene with 2 objects - Head & Hair

1. Select 'Sync Layers with Ext. Editor' or Edit All Layers in Ext. Editor'

2. Selecting UV-set to export = hair

3. Making edits in Photoshop to Normal Map - Save

4. back in 3DC the Layers will be applied to the Head object instead of the Hair.

Also

5. All other layers with Normal map will be destroyed and I get a Pink texture instead.

post-800-1243434313_thumb.jpg

p.s. Where is the official place to file Bug reports. I feel that this thread isn't the best place.

Yes, spacing is really important, fixed.

Man... you know how to please your clients!!! :good:

By the way, the new interface (alpha 86 +) is very well organized. Little things like arranging Import commands into submenus do make difference...

• Advanced Member
@Paint Guy - I like it except "close tab" button in right -bottom corner. I think right-top corner will be better.

I agree blugenwitz. I moved the close location to the top. (See New Image)

I also thought the possibility for the panels to be Resized or Stacked if need be like in Photoshop would be helpful! I also changed it so you would click and drag the menu "Title" to detach the panel, rather than clicking and dragging the lower part of the panel to detach it.

Don't know if Andrew likes these ideas, but it seems like a few people do. :) Would probably be a lot of work to implement these features though, but I can only hope they eventually get added to the UI as it would really speed things up and be be more intuitive IMO.

post-920-1243452758_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

84RC

----------------

• after pressing "to default settings" 3DC changes color scheme to beige-white - this shouldn't happen
  • UI response has been improved but it still needs some work,too slow
  • when importing .obj with multiple materials 3DC creates separate texture for each material - should be possibility to make one texture for all materials
  • when clicking "retopo" whole UI reloads (flickers for one second)
  • "mouse" icon in pen opt. is somehow confusing,why it's mouse, why it changes to pen, no idea
  • after clicking some tabs double UI appears :

uiui.jpg

• "Do you want to save" window confusing - instead "Save" "Continue" should be "Yes" "No" "Cancel"
  • this setting in options is needed - "Fill in empty parts of texture ?" it's annoying 3DC asks about it every time
  • when importing object it's already created with some layers like Layers 0,1,2 - why ?
  • 3DC doesn't work with overlapped UVs, keep clusters doesn't help,ovelapped uvs areas are displayed as transparent with checker grid
  • no option to create/save pen with custom pen options
  • strips don't behave like they should (Zbrush lazy mouse) - rotation makes displacement disorted
  • texture editor - why there are tiles when zooming out? looks somehow unusual for me
  • texture editor and uv manager should be merged into one window

• Advanced Member

Alpha86[RC] BUG Cavity Radius doesn't appear to do anything at the moment.

Just found another obscure bug

Transform/copy tool - If you have set a keyboard shortcut for the 'Draw with Pen' tool (in my case it is B ) and press it after using the Transform/Copy tool the Pen Pressure and Mouse settings will stay on the Rectangle mode instead of switching to whatever you had set previously for the Pen tool.

• Advanced Member
84RC

----------------

Andrew posted RC86 5 days ago. Many (but not all) of the bugs you listed have already been reported in this thread and the Bugzz thread; some may have already been fixed. If they still exist in RC86 or 87 though please make sure to post it again... but before RC89 comes out would be great. :)

• The layers created on import are explained in the manual. As an FYI though Layer 0 contains the base mesh (like a bg layer) and Layer 1 is the first truly empty layer on which you can draw.
    When importing an obj with multiple surfaces it creates multiple surfaces. This is not a bug. If you want a single surface, assign only one surface to the mesh when you export it from your original 3d app. The output for textures is 1 texture/displacement/normal map per UV map; you will only get multiple textures if you are outputting individual surfaces or sub-objects instead of using the uv-maps or layers as the output.
    The Pen opt icon changes from mouse to pen to indicate that the pen option in question will be controlled by tablet pressure instead of a constant value.
    Custom pen settings can be saved in the presets panel (windows>pop-ups>Presets). You can also use ctrl-click to create a multi-alpha brush with its own pen settings, then save it as a preset.
    Strips are not lazy mouse, so this is also not a bug. The feature you are looking for is called soft stroke, and can be further tweaked by using the pen spacing settings. To my knowledge, ZB doesn't have anything like the strips or splines in 3DC. Maybe v4 will, but v3.1 certainly doesn't.

I know the original v2 manual isn't up to date, but a lot of these questions/comments could be answered by reading it and searching through the older posts on the forum. The tutorial section is a great place to start if you are completely unfamiliar with 3DC's workflow.

Cheers,

-Oliver

grid_Tileable_offset.zip

There are 2 objects in this zip file, a simple grid with uvs stacked 0-1 texture space and one with 8 of the uvblocks outside of 0-1 space. Both suffer from the same problem in the texture editor.

Cool! I love this "by the way feature". I changed the object (subdivided it essentially) and now all works much much faster and correctly. Object attached

grid_Tileable_NxN.zip

• Advanced Member

it struck me as not something I would have expected (although it makes sense, since it's less time than actually

making/keeping blog posts)... just an initial reaction on my part, and this comment:

Cool! I love this "by the way feature".

seemed out of character for you.... <shrugs>

nothing but a misinterpretation on my end. :)