3DCoat Forums

Will there be a free update for 3.0 release to all existing users

lbmurali

Hi,

Will there be a free update to 3.0?

What could be the expected price of 3.0 after Sep. 15 2008.

Upgrade to 3.0 will not be free. 2.00 was released almost year ago and since that time we had 10 free updates, every of them was really big.

So, 3.0 is not free especially because of it's neew features. But upgrade will cost

Price_of_3 - 120 + Add_value

Add_Value is approx 20$

Price_of_3 will be approximately 180-200 at start point and will grow then.

After 15 of september price will grow slightly, maybe 140-150.

• Advanced Member
Upgrade to 3.0 will not be free. 2.00 was released almost year ago and since that time we had 10 free updates, every of them was really big.

So, 3.0 is not free especially because of it's neew features. But upgrade will cost

Add_Value is approx 20$

Well, I think that seems very reasonable.

I will definitely be upgrading. :)

• Advanced Member
10 free updates

Lol, I just heard about this 3dcoat and 2.10 & new tools look amazing. Christmas is only once a year not every month!

Your doing an insanely amazing job and then some... and then some more. :lol:

I just hope you get paid for all your work!

PS. You badly need to hire some TOP professional designers to sort out your interface and product identity (logo/site blah blah blah).

Add_Value is approx 20$

I'm thinking of getting 3D Coat, but does this mean it would actually be more expensive to buy 2.10 now and upgrade to 3 later than just to buy 3 when it's released?

As in 2.10 $120

Upgrade to 3 approx another $100-120

so total $220-240?

Where buying new 3 will be $180-200

So why buy 2.1 now with 3 on the horizon?

Simon

Yes i agree, the upgrade price seems pretty high for already existing customers. Especially new customers having to pay for the software twice to get the latest version.

/ Max

I think he means $120 (which is price now) plus the added value ($20), which gives $140 (which itself is what it will increase to after the 15th. This is $40+ cheaper than if you were to buy 3.0 at a cost of $180-$200.

Yes?

I'm thinking of getting 3D Coat, but does this mean it would actually be more expensive to buy 2.10 now and upgrade to 3 later than just to buy 3 when it's released?

As in 2.10 $120

Upgrade to 3 approx another $100-120

so total $220-240?

Where buying new 3 will be $180-200

So why buy 2.1 now with 3 on the horizon?

Simon

If you will buy 3DC now you will pay in geneal 15-20 extra $. Because for example

2.10 - 120

3.00 - 200

Upgrade - 100

summ:

2.10+upgrade=220

pure 3.0 = 200

20$ = working in 3D-coat for 3 months + support

• Advanced Member

But that policy will hit a wall sooner or later, example:

say v3 comes out 1st January.

When I buy 2.10 on 31. December, and upgrade on 1st January - I will pay 20 bucks for nothing...

In this case I would just not buy one day before v3.

This threshold is not absolute, there might be people who won't buy 10 days, 20 days, 2 month before v3 for this reason.

This policy will prevent ppl from buying 3DC the closer v3 gets.

Maybe you could think about a rebate before v3 comes out to keep this all the time attractive.

(actually I think 20$ is not that much, but ppl would wait even if they can save 1$ I guess)

my 2ct :)

mike

If you look in the Beta page the price goes a little like this (Price of version3.0 (unknown but around 200) subtract from it the current price of 3d-cout(price 120) = X then add 20$= the price of the upgrade.

So according to your calculations, present 3DC owners will pay $100 ($200-$120=$80+$20=$100 )

And what is that $20 for on the end ?

If that's correct, no thanks, he can keep it.

YMMV,etc

So according to your calculations, present 3DC owners will pay $100 ($200-$120=$80+$20=$100 )

And what is that $20 for on the end ?

If that's correct, no thanks, he can keep it.

YMMV,etc

All the calculations are confusing me. I think it is this:

New user buying 3 = $200

Existing user upgrading to 3 = $100

(The floating $20? beats me - not relevant? An additional level of support for 3 months? What?)

As someone who only just bought 2.1 in the past week I am definitely feeling like I have been caught in a trap designed to rip an extra $20 out of my pocket. I don't see anywhere on the front end of the website that the reason for the impending price increase was a new full number version release. I thought it was just currently on special and Sept 15 would be a return to normal pricing. Frankly, if the release of 3 had been made clear I would have waited. So I'm feeling pretty annoyed about that. :angry:

• Advanced Member

I'm on a fixed income now so as an owner of Zbrush 3 and 3DC, I have to decide which program to stick with (upgrade). 3DC had such a great price in the beginning I didn't think I would get to this "decision point" so soon, but I guess it was inevitable.

It's the old "what's better, sell 5000 items at $20 or 500 items at $200?

As someone who only just bought 2.1 in the past week I am definitely feeling like I have been caught in a trap designed to rip an extra $20 out of my pocket. I don't see anywhere on the front end of the website that the reason for the impending price increase was a new full number version release. I thought it was just currently on special and Sept 15 would be a return to normal pricing. Frankly, if the release of 3 had been made clear I would have waited. So I'm feeling pretty annoyed about that. :angry:

And I can quite understand your annoyance.

Look, I realize that English is not Andrew's first language. But when you are dealing and competing in an international market, you must be able to effectively communicate with your users and potential users. No matter how many new features you stuff into a program, it does not look good when you start charging more for upgrades than the original purchase price that many people here got 3DC for-$80 or so. When a dev does that, it just looks like trapping and ripping off the customer.

Glad I bought into Mudbox! ;-)

I'm on a fixed income now so as an owner of Zbrush 3 and 3DC, I have to decide which program to stick with (upgrade). 3DC had such a great price in the beginning I didn't think I would get to this "decision point" so soon, but I guess it was inevitable.

It's the old "what's better, sell 5000 items at $20 or 500 items at $200?

Well said, jaf. :-)

Since you already have ZBrush, I'd save your money for ZBrush upgrades. Which is what I'm doing with MB1-->MB2 upgrade coming out soon.

Add_Value is approx 20$

I originally interpreted the upgrade price (Add_value) for existing users is $20 :(

It should have been written as

Price_of_3 = 120 + Add_value

Add_Value is 100$

If the existing users temperaraily do not upgrade to the newest version,

will Andrew keep different versions of 3d-coat in case our pc hardware failure?

Some buy v2.10 and some buy 2.30 or other future upgrade versions, etc.

• Advanced Member

so it's maybe like 7:30am Andrew's time right now...think we can

hold off on stringing up the lynchin rope until he's had a chance to respond

and clarify his plans on upgrade price?

If a person is so hot to go or stay with another piece of software, then they should do so.

Threatening to 'leave' based on your own judgement is your business and I could

care less if you'd rather use Mudbox/Zbrush. If you find the price point to be too

high versus what you feel the features are, then don't buy the upgrade. Simple as that.

At even $120, 3dCoat 2.10 as it stands is a far better deal than you can get

'elsewhere'...but that's just my opinion. If your opinion differs, then by all means

spend your $120(times 3 plus even more) on technology that you're comfortable with...

but how about you congratulate yourself for your shrewdness over on that other software

board and everyone can all back-slap each other over there about it?

That's probably too 'costly' to pay in respect to this developer who actually interacts with

his customers and implements their requests though, huh?

(wait...what's that I hear...sounds like one of those "if you don't like what I say in this

thread than you can just not read it" responses.... :rolleyes: )

<a href="http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...ic=1179&hl=" target="_blank">http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...ic=1179&hl=</a> (2008 july)

Update to 3.0 will be not free, but the payment will be much less for customers.

At that time and this moment, 3d-coat cost US120 and US100 will be much less?

Andrew could charge at any price. It is just out of my expectation only.

:)

Thread bump to keep the thread visible.

So-Andrew, could you PLEASE clarify your pricing policy by answering questions in this thread?

Thanks

As it was described, 2.xx customers have to pay around 100$ for upgrade and less if they will buy after price rising (while price of 3.00 will be around 200$). It you feel some "trap" there please describe how it should be. I can change something if you feel it is not fair.

I don't want someone to be offended, so please tell as you feel. But of couse there is very hard work behind all upgrades. I am working 10-12 hours per day. My family at least must have some compensation :)

Also, I will think about aditional 20$. I can make some time differentiation for upgrade price... 20$ can be removed for 2.10 purchasers. Please tell how do you feel to be fair.

As it was described, 2.xx customers have to pay around 100$ for upgrade and less if they will buy after price rising (while price of 3.00 will be around 200$). It you feel some "trap" there please describe how it should be. I can change something if you feel it is not fair.

I don't want someone to be offended, so please tell as you feel. But of couse there is very hard work behind all upgrades. I am working 10-12 hours per day. My family at least must have some compensation :)

Also, I will think about aditional 20$. I can make some time differentiation for upgrade price... 20$ can be removed for 2.10 purchasers. Please tell how do you feel to be fair.

$40 for the upgrade for present owners of 2.10 would be fair. If you had been gradually raising your price over several versions, that's one thing. But you cannot blame people for reacting when you suddenly want to change the full selling price to $200 (correct price?). Or $100 for an upgrade.

Those of us that paid $80 or so a few months or more ago have been supporting you up till now, so to suddenly say that the price of owning 3DC will now be more than double what we paid originally. It's not our fault if you underpriced 3DC in the beginning.

And please do not try and give us the sad story about your long hours and having to support a family. So what? That makes you no better and no worse than the rest of us. We all have to work long hours these days and many of us have families to support.

You can charge what you want-that's your choice. Our choice is to move on and support other products that don't overcharge. If you need more money, either market another software product as well as 3DC or else go work for someone else and work on 3DC part-time.

It's entirely up to you. No hard feelings, it's just business.

BTW-I am sick of talking about this issue and won't be replying to anyone in this thread besides Andrew-depending on his decision.

Cheers

MMM!!! What about a special upgrade price for a few days(weeks) only, like 25-30% off. We all know you work very hard for this awesome Software! But many features and bug fixes are possible due the loyal member & forum posts. Please I don't want to offend in any way! I think is very fair a price for the upgrade. Don't forget to send a newsletter as soon as it's hit the store! :-)

Just joined a few days ago, since I heard about the Volumetric sculpting developments. About the price/price changes, I think Andrew needs to do the price increase at one time or the other, with the feature flood 3.0 seems to be worth the price increase (at least to me).

Generally while the price is under $400 I really wont mind for professional use. Hobbyist may mind tho. So I guess its up to Andrew to price to his intended audience...

Also, since I havent used 3D Coat prior to this open Alpha cant judge on the stability of the program, but that will essentialy be a deal breaker/maker for me as a professional artist.