3DCoat Forums
lbmurali

Will there be a free update for 3.0 release to all existing users

Would you suggest that 3d-Coat use different names for each upgrade? :lol:

No, just for the paid ones :)

Or he could make it simple and have a version which includes customer support through the forum and email for customers who wanna pay a higher price for the product, and a lower priced product without any form of support other than the updates released. No email and no forum support, it will ofcourse be cheaper than the other one.

/ Max

Or he could make it simple and have a version which includes customer support through the forum and email for customers who wanna pay a higher price for the product, and a lower priced product without any form of support other than the updates released. No email and no forum support, it will ofcourse be cheaper than the other one.

This would mean locking some people out of the forum, which also means missing out on any useful suggestions for improvements they might have. The way I understand it, Andrew is happy to get all the suggestions he can. otherwise he just has to remember or constantly check a list of who he can and cannot respond to.

This would mean locking some people out of the forum, which also means missing out on any useful suggestions for improvements they might have. The way I understand it, Andrew is happy to get all the suggestions he can. otherwise he just has to remember or constantly check a list of who he can and cannot respond to.

Agree, creating a situation where you seperate the "have's" and "have not" would be more trouble than its worth.

I just purchased 3D Coat today and then found out the price changes soon. I only discovered this product yesterday on the 3D Connexion site. I am not sure what this means for me did I just spend extra money or should I have waited a few days? I am slightly confused is 3.0 coming out soon? I am very happy with the product I purchased and the attitude of the developer I have read here and understand the frustrations as an Indy developer of pricing your product and growth and keeping the support going along with your vision and dream and paying the bills.. especially with a family. I hope that all will work out the best for you in this process. I am just wondering how making a purchase today effects me in the long run.

Kudos and cheers to you and yours

I just purchased 3D Coat today and then found out the price changes soon. I only discovered this product yesterday on the 3D Connexion site. I am not sure what this means for me did I just spend extra money or should I have waited a few days? I am slightly confused is 3.0 coming out soon?

Congrats on your purchase. :) I recall in a CGTalk thread Andrew said he would like to release it "during 2008", so that's probably not any time really soon. Not to mention the "very early alpha release" just came out about a week ago.

Thanks for feedback on this topic. Really it is important to set proper upgrade price because if I will set it too big I can loose much users so even economically price should not be too big. I have reviewed upgrade price question, I will tell decission soon. Don't worry, I hope we will find fair decission. Price of upgrade will be no more then price difference between 3 and 2, so not more then 80$ at least for several weeks after starting sales of 3.0 (and no more then 60$ for purchacers after 15). I will tell more precise information slightli later. But even bying 3DC now you will not pay for V3 more then it's price in a summ.

Thank you Andrew that is very fair, I will definately upgrade if this is the case.

Simon.

Congrats on your purchase. :) I recall in a CGTalk thread Andrew said he would like to release it "during 2008", so that's probably not any time really soon. Not to mention the "very early alpha release" just came out about a week ago.

I just found the 3.0 Alpha and omg I am in love with this product!!!! Andrew you have a new fan in me.. What ever the upgrade cost you'll get it.. I think if you worked support for the TGE/TGEA game engine formats: .dts and .dif would open major doors of revenue for you as this could be presented as the defacto editor for the defacto Indy developer Game engine offered from Garage Games.

Much Respect from Florida, USA. :D!

I just found the 3.0 Alpha and omg I am in love with this product!!!! Andrew you have a new fan in me.. What ever the upgrade cost you'll get it.. I think if you worked support for the TGE/TGEA game engine formats: .dts and .dif would open major doors of revenue for you as this could be presented as the defacto editor for the defacto Indy developer Game engine offered from Garage Games.

Much Respect from Florida, USA. :D!

I have just bought a copy of 2.10 for $140 (+VAT) - I haven't had the benefits of a years worth of free upgrades, and will no doubt pay the price of the upgrade to 3.0 (around $80 from what I can figure from this forum), so why don't I feel the urge to complain?

Oh yes that's it - because 3.0 isn't out yet, it could be 3 months or more away, and I only paid for a copy of 2.10.. I knew there was something ;)

Seriously guys - if you want free software, it's probably best to stick to Blender, and Gimp. I wish my next Photoshop, Lightwave or Modo upgrades (not to mention Max & SoftImage) would be less than $100.

As for additional game support. The more the merrier, I am personally quite happy with the lwo, Obj, and Fbx support so far, but to add my Off Topic 2p worth - the Gamebro .nif format (object and textures) is one I would like to see happen.

Well I've got my spot in line and I'm not budgin'.

I would pay 80 bucks just for the kind of support and communication between the developer and end user that is going on here with this tool.

So Monsoon is here to stay.. :)

While I tend to agree with Monsoon regarding the value of support and communication, as a Mac user, I do have some concerns about paying 50% or more of the product price again so soon, given the lack of substantial upgrades since the Mac version was released.

I'm very happy that Mac 3D-Coat exists, and will support future development as well, it just seems a bit quick to hit Mac users up for a major upgrade.

While I tend to agree with Monsoon regarding the value of support and communication, as a Mac user, I do have some concerns about paying 50% or more of the product price again so soon, given the lack of substantial upgrades since the Mac version was released.

I'm very happy that Mac 3D-Coat exists, and will support future development as well, it just seems a bit quick to hit Mac users up for a major upgrade.

In general upgrade price is just price of new features that can't be treated as a features for free upgrade. I am sure that volumetric sculpting and direct uv-pixels painting can't be free. And additional payment is only price difference, no more. And overall price is really not big for what is offered.

In general upgrade price is just price of new features that can't be treated as a features for free upgrade. I am sure that volumetric sculpting and direct uv-pixels painting can't be free. And additional payment is only price difference, no more. And overall price is really not big for what is offered.
Understood, and I don't have a problem with paying for new features either. I guess I'd just like reassurance that after the initial buy-in (2.10) and serious upgrade (3), it will be some time (9-12mo) before subsequent paid upgrades.

Put another way, think of it as a request for some sense of total ownership cost over the 12mo period since Mac version was released?

We have at worst a major two in one program - 3d painting and then sculpting ....

I was genuinely concerned how this man was making money, major FREE release after major FREE release ... and ONE guy ...

The program has GROWN GREATLY since we purchased two copies back when it was just $89. which was a give away price at the time anyway ...

Yet people here are disrespectful, cutting corners and overall IGNORANT .... Andrew, you really should not have to drop your price from $ 100 for upgrade ...

Alternatives for you naysayers .... wel go buy mudbox, bodypaint or Zbrush or use the free tools in Blender ... oh .. what uo say .. you can't get all those features in any one program like 3DC ... wellllllll

The progrm has appreciated in value long before 3 was known about ... I guess when your portfolios have been increased in value or you get a Phd and ask for a increase in pay rate you would not mind the same level of PMS bitching I see here ....

OT Great work Andrew .. really impressed so far .. Pitching your product wherever I could

Cheers !!!

.... Andrew, you really should not have to drop your price from $ 100 for upgrade ...

I would gladly pay that upgrade price 5 times over. 3dCoat is and will be a sound investment.

I think the $100 upgrade price is reasonable if the features are there. I bought 3D coat because of it's simple work flow and integration with Lightwave. Call me ignorant but I think the UV mapping functions are worth the 2.10 purchase price alone. I just bought the Lightwave 9.5 upgrade for $400 and that is about half the price of the full version. Will I upgrade 3D coat? That depends more on features (would I use them) than price (within reason, I won't pay $1000 for an upgrade I simply can't afford it). I've tried Bodypaint, Mudbox and zBrush and I like 3D coat better so I'm not thinking of buying those packages because 3D coat got too expensive. But I have to say the low price of the software was definitely a plus. I am amazed that only one programmer made this software. I hope Andrew can draw up enough capital to hire another programmer about as talented as himself. 10, 12 hour days can be extreme even if it is something you like to do.

I'm not going into the full or update price. Pem gave a good read about it.

I'm not sure if my English is good enough but I just wanted to add that with a higher price people also expect better additional benefits. Thats tutorials, books, training etc. As an example, it took me 3 attemps to download the last update today. I did also run into bad gateway error messages. Now while a can live with that if its 50$ (its cheap anyway) I surley will give it a laugh if its a 200$ application. So even if the core application is worth 200$ from the technical point of view, its value is less for me because the additional benefits are way below from what I expect from a software at that price.

On the other hand if you have a look at Zbrush with it tons of free video tutorials, dvds, classes, forums, its price can be higher then whats included in the core application because the additional benefits have a value to me. So the price needs to be beneath the core application + additional benefits. This way its value is still higher to me then what I have to pay for.

On the other hand if you have a look at Zbrush with it tons of free video tutorials, dvds, classes, forums, its price can be higher then whats included in the core application because the additional benefits have a value to me. So the price needs to be beneath the core application + additional benefits. This way its value is still higher to me then what I have to pay for.

3DC does offer free video tutorials and obviously the forum. As far as DVDs and classes I think that is done by a third party for ZB, correct? I doubt it's included with the ZB price regardless of who makes it.

BTW Your English is fine aside from a few typos.

3DC does offer free video tutorials and obviously the forum. As far as DVDs and classes I think that is done by a third party for ZB, correct? I doubt it's included with the ZB price regardless of who makes it.

BTW Your English is fine aside from a few typos.

ZBrush does seem to have a fair chunk of small tutorial videos on their site, but the fact remains that ZBrush costs a 4 & 1/4 times as much as 3dc now (for those that pay for the commercial license, and will still be 1/3 the price when it is $200, assuming that ZBrush hasn't also risen in price by then.

Maybe if more people paid for a copy of the app now, then A.S. would have more cash to get some tutorials made in time for 3.0?

On a side note, It's probably sensitive information that Andrew wouldn't want to divulge, but I wonder how many commercial licenses have been sold compared to the "non commercial"? because to be honest, anyone using the thing commercially would make their money back in the first day.

ZBrush does seem to have a fair chunk of small tutorial videos on their site, but the fact remains that ZBrush costs a 4 & 1/4 times as much as 3dc now (for those that pay for the commercial license, and will still be 1/3 the price when it is $200, assuming that ZBrush hasn't also risen in price by then.

Maybe if more people paid for a copy of the app now, then A.S. would have more cash to get some tutorials made in time for 3.0?

On a side note, It's probably sensitive information that Andrew wouldn't want to divulge, but I wonder how many commercial licenses have been sold compared to the "non commercial"? because to be honest, anyone using the thing commercially would make their money back in the first day.

around 700 users in total was posted somewhere by andrew.

because to be honest, anyone using the thing commercially would make their money back in the first day.

That's very true!! I can prove it myself.

And this is why I can't believe there's still someone bargainning over the price.

akira.

the update history price related is the same no matter the software! I think is to high the upgrade price. Probably i cant buy it!

Yes, Andrew has to eat! :rolleyes:

Hi all

Generally when, a application jumps to the next higher version number, means a major jump in the feature set, hince the upgrade price. Andrew, as I remember was really having a low price to promote his application for version 2. I think I got it for 89 bucks or close to it, some got it cheaper than that. The upgrade price is fair, enough said.