3DCoat Forums

Will there be a free update for 3.0 release to all existing users

lbmurali

I think the $100 upgrade price is reasonable if the features are there. I bought 3D coat because of it's simple work flow and integration with Lightwave. Call me ignorant but I think the UV mapping functions are worth the 2.10 purchase price alone. I just bought the Lightwave 9.5 upgrade for $400 and that is about half the price of the full version. Will I upgrade 3D coat? That depends more on features (would I use them) than price (within reason, I won't pay $1000 for an upgrade I simply can't afford it). I've tried Bodypaint, Mudbox and zBrush and I like 3D coat better so I'm not thinking of buying those packages because 3D coat got too expensive. But I have to say the low price of the software was definitely a plus. I am amazed that only one programmer made this software. I hope Andrew can draw up enough capital to hire another programmer about as talented as himself. 10, 12 hour days can be extreme even if it is something you like to do.

I'm not going into the full or update price. Pem gave a good read about it.

I'm not sure if my English is good enough but I just wanted to add that with a higher price people also expect better additional benefits. Thats tutorials, books, training etc. As an example, it took me 3 attemps to download the last update today. I did also run into bad gateway error messages. Now while a can live with that if its 50$ (its cheap anyway) I surley will give it a laugh if its a 200$ application. So even if the core application is worth 200$ from the technical point of view, its value is less for me because the additional benefits are way below from what I expect from a software at that price.

On the other hand if you have a look at Zbrush with it tons of free video tutorials, dvds, classes, forums, its price can be higher then whats included in the core application because the additional benefits have a value to me. So the price needs to be beneath the core application + additional benefits. This way its value is still higher to me then what I have to pay for.

On the other hand if you have a look at Zbrush with it tons of free video tutorials, dvds, classes, forums, its price can be higher then whats included in the core application because the additional benefits have a value to me. So the price needs to be beneath the core application + additional benefits. This way its value is still higher to me then what I have to pay for.

3DC does offer free video tutorials and obviously the forum. As far as DVDs and classes I think that is done by a third party for ZB, correct? I doubt it's included with the ZB price regardless of who makes it.

BTW Your English is fine aside from a few typos.

3DC does offer free video tutorials and obviously the forum. As far as DVDs and classes I think that is done by a third party for ZB, correct? I doubt it's included with the ZB price regardless of who makes it.

BTW Your English is fine aside from a few typos.

ZBrush does seem to have a fair chunk of small tutorial videos on their site, but the fact remains that ZBrush costs a 4 & 1/4 times as much as 3dc now (for those that pay for the commercial license, and will still be 1/3 the price when it is $200, assuming that ZBrush hasn't also risen in price by then.

Maybe if more people paid for a copy of the app now, then A.S. would have more cash to get some tutorials made in time for 3.0?

On a side note, It's probably sensitive information that Andrew wouldn't want to divulge, but I wonder how many commercial licenses have been sold compared to the "non commercial"? because to be honest, anyone using the thing commercially would make their money back in the first day.

• Advanced Member
ZBrush does seem to have a fair chunk of small tutorial videos on their site, but the fact remains that ZBrush costs a 4 & 1/4 times as much as 3dc now (for those that pay for the commercial license, and will still be 1/3 the price when it is $200, assuming that ZBrush hasn't also risen in price by then.

Maybe if more people paid for a copy of the app now, then A.S. would have more cash to get some tutorials made in time for 3.0?

On a side note, It's probably sensitive information that Andrew wouldn't want to divulge, but I wonder how many commercial licenses have been sold compared to the "non commercial"? because to be honest, anyone using the thing commercially would make their money back in the first day.

around 700 users in total was posted somewhere by andrew.

• Advanced Member
because to be honest, anyone using the thing commercially would make their money back in the first day.

That's very true!! I can prove it myself.

And this is why I can't believe there's still someone bargainning over the price.

akira.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi all

Generally when, a application jumps to the next higher version number, means a major jump in the feature set, hince the upgrade price. Andrew, as I remember was really having a low price to promote his application for version 2. I think I got it for 89 bucks or close to it, some got it cheaper than that. The upgrade price is fair, enough said.