3DCoat Forums

[Solved] import .stl

dangre

Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't seem to find my answer in the forums.

I am importing non-organic CAD files (.stl) that has sharp edges and specific cylinders/curves. When I import these, I can't seem to find the correct procedure (scale/subdivide/etc) to give adquate resolution. Unless I increase the scale (sorry for using wrong terms) to +4million polygons I lose most of my detail (round objects look like octogons with extra noise). Even then I don't get anywhere near the geometry of the orginal mesh. I plan to use 3DC to add textures to CAD objects from SolidWorks/Rhino/MeshLab/etc. The .stl only has 8700 polys. Should I be importing into voxels or just surface mode? The object is a 1" diameter badge for a beer bottle. The images I have attached are of the solid model and .stl import as seen from SolidWorks and the 3DC import scaled up to 100,000 from 8700. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

post-32317-0-36293900-1368734591_thumb.j

post-32317-0-13839600-1368734592_thumb.j

post-32317-0-08696900-1368738666_thumb.j

Edited by dangre

I have attached the .obj file below. As stated in above, I want add textures and use some of the organic smoothing tools of 3DC to my dimensionaly correct CAD model. The ultimate goal is to create the actual part with 3D printing (SLA) or cnc. I can open this file in many other CAD systems and the mesh opens with 'smooth' curves and sharp edges but you can see in my attached picture above it doesnt open very 'cleanly' in 3DC. Maybe I am just using the wrong settings. I know I am using 3DC for a different purpose (engineering/product development) but I see a wealth of awesome tools that are not readily available with the 'engineering' CAD software I use.

EDIT: I was trying to open a .stl import and just tried opening the file as a .obj (only file I could attache to this forum) and it seems to work much better. It still wasn't 'clean' but possibly workable. I tried to subdivide and it just made the sharp edges more 'jagged'. I had to 'scale' up the model from 8000 polys to 200,000 polys. See attached picture. The strange thing is it looks fine when I first import it but when I 'merge' the quality goes out the door.

LOGO BADGE BLANK.obj

post-32317-0-40180100-1368796968_thumb.j

Daniel,

Yes, that did work, but wow 800k polys and 8MB. The original was only 8k polys and 0.5MB. I can now do the edit work I need to in 3DC but will have to do some retopo work to get it back to a usable size to import back into Solidworks (20k max triangles [about 10k polys]). I have had good results just exporting as a .stl and 'simplifying'. Better results with small details and simplifying large areas than the auttopo. Just curious why 3DC needs to scale 100x when other software does not? Sorry for being a novice here, I'm just learning...

Just to let you know, I did try upscaling to 2M polys with the .stl file but it still looked 'jaggy'. I'll stick to .obj and maybe try other import formats.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] import .stl