3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Surface or Voxel Mode ?

Grimmy

• Advanced Member

I am using the beta 4 version and the manual only refers to 'The Sculpt Room' whereas in actual fact I have a 'Voxels room'. In this room I can choose surface or voxel representation and although the hint says that surface mode is faster and voxel mode has more tools, my question is; What is the actual purpose of each representation and why should I use one over the other?

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

It doesn't sound like there is a big need to switch between the two. I was thinking that I should begin my hard surface sculpt (and create the initial volume) by just putting a bunch of primitives together but it doesn't seem to make much difference if I do that in the voxel or surface mode right?

Cheers

• Reputable Contributor

The advantage of using the LiveClay brushes in surface mode is that you have dynamic tessellation of the mesh. In voxel mode you have to increase the entire model resolution to get the finer details.

In surface mode when using the LiveClay brushes you can choose which areas have the greater tessellation detail. Each liveclay brush has a detail slider where you can adjust how much tessellation you want. This also works in conjunction with your brush size.

A combination of voxel work and then surface mode using LiveClay brushes is a workflow worth checking out...

• 1 year later...

I had originally assumed that voxels were the cure all end all with sculpting and the surface stuff was just legacy.  However many here seem to really like surface mode for things.  I've only more recently dabbled with itIt is faster and you can get really tight edges. To judge when you should jump from one or the other just takes experience.  When you find yourself at war with voxels (making edges, taking lumps out), switch to surface and a lot of this stuff gets cleared up.  

Just think of it as math, and you have you figure out which equation to use to get to YOUR goal. Everyone has a different way of going about it, but it's about what you're comfortable in.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Surface or Voxel Mode ?