3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Installed the new Linux version (4.0.04A) and after running the program for around 3 or 4 hrs in the background, it has now opened 500 ports (files) which it has not closed.

Finding the number of opened ports (files) with the terminal command:

$ lsof -p 21359 |wc -l

With 21359 being the 3DCoat process ID.

At this rate 3DCoat will reach its limit of opened ports (files) in a few more hours and then 3DCoat won't be able to save or open anything and will probably crash.

THIS HAS TO BE FIXED

T.

• Advanced Member

Just to understand, why does 3DC need more than one port (in the absence of incremental saves) ?

When a program in Linux needs to access a file on the hard drive like a configuration file to read or write some data to it, the program opens a port (the file) then does the reading or/and writing to the file, then, when the program is finished with the file, it closes the port (the file). Ports (files) are opened and closed all the time by normally running programs, but if the program opens a port, gets an error because the file is inaccessible, but doesn't close the port, then tries to open it again, then you have a problem because the program may continue trying to open the file and not closing it. I think this is what is happening with 3DCoat. In Linux, everything is a file, even drivers.

T.

• Advanced Member

sorry im asking this

chmod -R 777 /3DCfolder

doesnt help ?

I have made my 3DCoat installation directory and 3D-CoatV4 directory recursively rwx (777), this makes no difference at all, apparently 3DCoat is trying to access other files on my system which it is not allowed (doesn't have permission).

T.

• Advanced Member

There is version 4.0.04B available from program/update but forum first page does not say anything about it.

3D-Coat 4.0.04B
2013-06-14 06:54:21

- fixed problem with floating license that appeared in 4.0.04A
- transparency rendering improved in render room (for realtime rendering and after pressing Render)
- seamlessness of ppp painting improved on seams on sharp edges (close to 90 degrees and more).

• Advanced Member

Just a heads up, it appears that the problem with the constantly opening ports until the limit was reached has something to do with Fedora 18, as this doesn't occur with Fedora 14.

T.

Thanks Carlosan, I cannot log in to Mantis, I don't know why?

T.

Strange. I've reset your password in your mantis account. An mail should be sent to you to the registered email. Please follow the instructions inside the mail. Don't worry: Nobody can see your pw, neither me.

Best wishes

Chris

Whenever I activate my license, it seems to deactivate almost every time I close 3d-coat then reopen it.

I am running on 64-bit linux v. 4.0.04A

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in one of the bug forums, but it is very inconvinient because 3d-coat also crashes when I register my license.

EDIT: I just realized this may be due to the fact that I am running a arch-based linux distro, so whenever I install something the system may reconfigure some things that are related to the method used by 3d-coat to check if the system is a new system that doesn't have 3d-coat activated. Sorry if this is unclear.

Edited by OpenSourcist

• Reputable Contributor

please try the version 4.0.04B

is on the download page

is the latest version

He is running the Linux version which is still 4.0.04A at the official download page... 3DCoat Linux version has not been updated to the latest version (4.0.04B) as of a few minutes ago... 4:38pm CST USA... July 3...