3DCoat Forums

• Reputable Contributor

Next version comes soon, probaly this Sunday. I had some hardware/internet problems last several days, so was not able to update sooner.

See changes in my Twitter.

I hope this means Linux as well... :look::yes:

Just wanted to congratutale on V4 . I've been playing with v3 a while back and speed improvement is great. We've launched V4 demo in the workshop last week and our jaws hit the floor when we've noticed how smooth it is. Both surface and voxel modes are better. Great work - no excuse for me now to not add 3d Coat to our toolbox in a near future :D !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find it extremely rare that I have stability issues with beta versions of 3DC.  So much so that I usually do professional work with the beta versions. Of course I always have the auto save on and set to 15 minutes in case something does go wrong. Usually it's my crummy 6 year old computers fault if something happens. 

• Contributor

One crash, no biggie, but a few holes/disconnections.

Ovrrall it's ok.

Yeah, I had several holes and mesh explosions appear at various times while I was sculpting, but I was able to use the CloseHole tool, Reconstruct tool, Cleanup Memory, and To Uniform Space, to fix all of them. It almost seems like the holes are supposed to happen, so that is why we have these special tools to fix them. These "fixing" tools seem to work really well, and the holes and explosions did not slow down my workflow very much. I guess if people don't know how to fix them with these tools then they would probably be quite annoyed. Also I noticed that a lot of these kinds of problems mostly happen with older 3D-Coat models that I have, and also possibly occur if I switch back and forth from Surface to Voxel mode a couple of times. But like I said, I was able to fix all of the problems with the available "fixing" tools.

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, I had several holes and mesh explosions appear at various times while I was sculpting, but I was able to use the CloseHole tool, Reconstruct tool, Cleanup Memory, and To Uniform Space, to fix all of them. It almost seems like the holes are supposed to happen, so that is why we have these special tools to fix them. These "fixing" tools seem to work really well, and the holes and explosions did not slow down my workflow very much. I guess if people don't know how to fix them with these tools then they would probably be quite annoyed. Also I noticed that a lot of these kinds of problems mostly happen with older 3D-Coat models that I have, and also possibly occur if I switch back and forth from Surface to Voxel mode a couple of times. But like I said, I was able to fix all of the problems with the available "fixing" tools.

I actually think it may be somewhat related to the issue concerning the mesh that get upon converting from Voxel mode to Surface mode. Andrew said he was going write an internal script to automatically smooth the mesh with Tangent Smooth each time one switches from Voxel to Surface. Sounds like a good idea. That mesh is otherwise pretty darn nasty looking. Doesn't surprise me if it would cause holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozsZYLmuUPc&list=PLlQ3JITh9bXOfcZqGuO8gClZisN6yUd1x&index=14

• Contributor

These "fixing" tools seem to work really well, and the holes and explosions did not slow down my workflow very much. I guess if people don't know how to fix them with these tools then they would probably be quite annoyed. Also I noticed that a lot of these kinds of problems mostly happen with older 3D-Coat models that I have, and also possibly occur if I switch back and forth from Surface to Voxel mode a couple of times. But like I said, I was able to fix all of the problems with the available "fixing" tools.

Those I'm speaking about can't get fixed unless converting back to voxel (and losing quite a great deal of details)... fix tools don't work there. Trying "close hole" output "no holes detected" with gaping holes in the mesh... What's funny though is that I get a huge downward spike if remeshing with enter, but a smaller indent with a full conversion vox<>surface.

• Reputable Contributor

Those I'm speaking about can't get fixed unless converting back to voxel (and losing quite a great deal of details)... fix tools don't work there. Trying "close hole" output "no holes detected" with gaping holes in the mesh... What's funny though is that I get a huge downward spike if remeshing with enter, but a smaller indent with a full conversion vox<>surface.

Sometimes, I can close a small hole just by smoothing with a brush. Weird, I know, but it seems to work on small ones.

• Contributor

Those are visual artefact, I wouldn't even mention them since zbrush as this kind of issue with "QuickAndDirtyEdit" but unfortunately this build still has its surface corruptions.I even encountered one of them with symm copy right at the seam it would explode. The only solution was to reconstruct here (not a real issue then) but I wasn't that lucky with my last one (I had to completely resample to voxel the hair of my character thus losing every detail liveclay provided).

I suspect those happen with long time use. Something Andrew will never spot and fix if he doesn't really use the software for a good while.

• Reputable Contributor

Those are visual artefact, I wouldn't even mention them since zbrush as this kind of issue with "QuickAndDirtyEdit" but unfortunately this build still has its surface corruptions.I even encountered one of them with symm copy right at the seam it would explode. The only solution was to reconstruct here (not a real issue then) but I wasn't that lucky with my last one (I had to completely resample to voxel the hair of my character thus losing every detail liveclay provided).

I suspect those happen with long time use. Something Andrew will never spot and fix if he doesn't really use the software for a good while.

Yep.

• Advanced Member

I think what is missing is a projection system so you can voxelise a messy mesh and then convert back to surface and project the detail back on .but it would have to tesselate again in the high detail areas .if Andrew gets the autopo working well enough to generate a new clean surface that would be excellent.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just bought a new "Wacom bamboo wireless touch/stylus pad" for roughing in on my laptop and well "grow" in the voxel room just eats all of the geometry like it was candy (it just disappears) win7 64 cuda gl 4.0.05

Hi c.1!

I would try the latest build to see if it still happens. You'll need to attempt with fresh configs as well, a build that old with such stark differences would surely cause corruption in the config and make an latter builds unstable, and vice versa.

Thanks Javis,

It wasn't the little Wacom at all it seems to be when the brush depth gets over a certain % then it just eats geometry (I had never had that happen before so I mistakenly blamed the newest hardware)

That sound like a great plan to download and work with the latest build.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

I installed v4.1 on an old laptop that has T2310 (2 cores) CPU and 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2. When I start 32-bit 3D Coat DX/GL Simple, it crashes with a "bad image" error. It says that:

3D-Coat-V4\tbb.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

SHA1 hash of the tbb.dll inside 3D Coat directory is: dad94f56ce6ba07c58f2e2d2d15e5c849fff63dc

I was able to run 3D Coat before on this machine.

I'll try re-downloading the installer and try installing again, but meanwhile - perhaps somebody has an idea on why does this error appear?