3DCoat Forums

Straighten edge loop extremely needed in 3d coat

zzz7net

• Reputable Contributor

Click on the TRANSFORM TOOL > choose "To Main (local) AXIS" in the tool option panel, so the gizmo is better aligned with the selection > scale inward along the axis to flatten or straighten the edgeloop. Alternatively, with the BRUSH tool, you can hold the SHIFT key and brush along the edgeloop to relax it locally. It works in many cases, but not all, so I put a similar feature request in (among others) to enhance the Retopo tools. Sign In/Register (www.3d-coat.com/mantis) and add your "+1" in oder to add more emphasis and consolidate the same requests.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1062

Wow it's really complicated to get such simple feature.

register in one place, then register in other. go and write there +1.

wait ... wait ... wait and a new version fails your expections.

I wonder why that logic action as straighten hadn't been released in earler versions.

In my point of view Andrew is too much carried away by voxels-poxels that indeed not so useful

as a traditional poly modelling.

Gonna try topogun 2.0

• Reputable Contributor

Wow it's really complicated to get such simple feature.

register in one place, then register in other. go and write there +1.

wait ... wait ... wait and a new version fails your expections.

I wonder why that logic action as straighten hadn't been released in earler versions.

In my point of view Andrew is too much carried away by voxels-poxels that indeed not so useful

as a traditional poly modelling.

Gonna try topogun 2.0

Seems like a major overreaction to a very minor issue. 2 clicks is complicated? Really? It's not complicated at all...click on the transform tool and scale it perfectly straight or use the Brush tool. Written explanations always sound more complicated until you try it. You have a RELAX button, to relax the mesh. A BRUSH tool (holding SHIFT) to smooth/relax locally and you can straighten a selection by using the TRANSFORM tool. It's a very powerful way of working. You can even rotate the angle of the whole selection or loop while you are at it. Why don't you at least try what I suggested first. Otherwise, I've basically wasted my time trying to help, here.

If you want to trash an app just because each one doesn't have every tiny feature you want, you'll never find one you like. I just told you that if you wanted a one-click relax (selected) button, to chime in on a current feature request. It's not complicated to sign in and use Mantis to report bugs and add feature requests. It creates a log, for Andrew to review (by priority) from time to time. I think he wanted to get V4 out the door before he started working on deep changes/improvements.

Now that it's released, I'll remind him of those requests. He said not long ago, that he planned to make the Retopo Room more of a complete modeler. This is why I made official requests to add things I'd like to see...things I'm used to having in 3ds Max, that could help. But on the whole, there isn't a better Retopology toolset out there.

• Advanced Member

He could delete the loop and draw a new one using the stroke feature too. This wouldn't work in every scenario, but for the example image that was posted it should work perfectly. And I agree, retopology is definitely one of 3D Coat's greatest strengths.

AbnRanger

Thanks for detailed answer !

1) Relax button

-> as far as I know relax whole mesh (not only selected edge loop)

2) Brush tool (holding SHIFT)

-> Yes it works pretty well on the flat surfaces with large brush radius but otherwise not the same as straighten tool

3) Tranform tool

-> Not yet trying this because I have 3d-coat version 3.3

but if it absolutely straighten the edge loop in the version 4.0 it resolves the issue.

Sorry but my registration in the Mantis partition was not succesful. I'm gonna make a second attempt.

Your help is much appreciated! I'm really fond of 3d-coating :wub:

Edited by zzz7net

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks...and you can see the Transform tool used in almost identical fashion, as discussed here, at the 3:50 point of this video:

Andrew changed the naming from "To Local Space" to "To Main Space." Still not sure why. He gave me an explanation, but I think there is some meaning lost in translation. :)

And since that video was made, there now are FREE EXTRUDE tools that solve the limitations pointed out in this video. It acts more like Extrude does in Maya or the Inset tool does in Max.