3DCoat Forums

Uv sets in Retopo room different to UV sets in UV room.

Grimmy

• Advanced Member

I'm doing some retopo work and I have a nicely unwrapped UVset which I did inside the retopo room, however, when I go to the UV room the UV set is not listed anywhere and no object is displayed. Do I need to do something first (Merge for pixel paint?) or am I missing something.

Cheers

• Reputable Contributor

I'm doing some retopo work and I have a nicely unwrapped UVset which I did inside the retopo room, however, when I go to the UV room the UV set is not listed anywhere and no object is displayed. Do I need to do something first (Merge for pixel paint?) or am I missing something.

Cheers

There is a bit of an explanation of this at the beginning of this video:

• Reputable Contributor

That looks like your baked Occlusion Map. Did you by mistake change the BakedOcclusion layer from Modulate2X to Standard in the layer's blending modes. The AO map needs to be set to Modulate 2X for it to work correctly otherwise it will have 100% opacity over all the other layers...

Try turning off the AO layer and see if the other textures were baked correctly...

Either that or is is a bug where it is not correctly choosing the right blending mode for the AO map...

In the official release version 4 for Linux, it is working correctly..

• Advanced Member

The Baked Occlusion layer is set to Modulate2X opacity. I do recall that I was looking at the colour blending at one point previously today....although all the settings now seem fine, maybe I tweaked something that caused the problem (?) I just need to know how to get it back to that previous state when it all worked...

• Advanced Member

Hmm, I seem to be running into this 'kind' of problem again, but now I can't seem to get around it. I have a fully painted/textured voxel volume and a retopo'd mesh built around that volume. When I run the Retopo>Merge wIth NM function, my retopo appears in the paint room like this.... (attached)

I tried deleting layers/object/materials many times and the layers or blending has not been touched.

post-37556-0-62674600-1370254192_thumb.p

• Reputable Contributor

What in particular is wrong with the result? The texture in the 2D Editor seems ok. Have you forgotten to hide the Voxel Object from showing in the Paint Room, after you've baked it? You then have two objects occupying the same space. One is the Voxel Object and the second is the new baked mesh. Just like in any 3D app, you'd want to hide the one you baked from. So you can go into the VIEW menu and uncheck "Show Voxels in Paint Room." Or you could go to WINDOWS > Popups > VoxTree > dock that somewhere in the UI, so you can quickly hide and unhide (voxel) objects/layers without having to go to the Voxel Room.

• Advanced Member

The voxel object is hidden.

The sides of the object (as a voxel) have wood textures etc but this doesn't seem to get baked(?)There is definitely something weird going on - I restarted texturing with some test textures and now it bakes perfectly. (?)

• Reputable Contributor

I would go to RETOPO menu > click on BAKING PARAMETERS > and adjust the inner and outer cage...much like you would in a typical 3D app.

I sure would like to see a screen recording of this happening. Any chance you have such a utility, or maybe download JING (free)...you can upload the videos to their free hosting site (screencast.com). There is probably just one or two small settings that need to adjusted, and it's hard to determine what that might be, blindfolded as it were.

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

This is also extremely helpful if you have a bug and report it to Andrew (support@3d-coat.com) or file a report on mantis ( www.3d.coat.com/mantis ). It really saves Andrew and anyone trying to help, time trying to get to the bottom of the matter. It's also extremely helpful if there is a feature present in another app that you really would like to see in 3D Coat. You can show that tool in practice in that app. and it gives Andrew a better idea why it is needed and just how it's implemented. You'd be very surprised to find how much quicker you get a response/accommodation from Andrew if you are willing to take this extra step.

• Advanced Member

Okay will do. I ended up re-texturing the model in the end. I think it may have been something to do with layer 0 (but I'm not sure though). The more I get to know this program the more I will know what is a bug and what is a 'feature' so I'll keep an eye out in future and make sure I report anything that looks strange.

Incidentally, what is the purpose of Layer 0 if it shouldn't be edited? Why is it even visible in the layers window?

Cheers again for all your help!

Edited by Grimmy