3DCoat Forums

Arrange Multiple Retopo'd meshes in a scene. Possible?

Grimmy

• Advanced Member

once I have retopologized and painted my object, is there any way to arrange this to create a scene with other retopo'd meshes I have previously created (or even duplicate my mesh). A few trees, a wall, a gate etc.

Currently, I can't see any way to do this in 3D Coat without taking the individually meshes to an external program. Is there?

Thanks

Simon

• Reputable Contributor

once I have retopologized and painted my object, is there any way to arrange this to create a scene with other retopo'd meshes I have previously created (or even duplicate my mesh). A few trees, a wall, a gate etc.

Currently, I can't see any way to do this in 3D Coat without taking the individually meshes to an external program. Is there?

Thanks

Simon

From the file menu in the Paint Room, you should be able to MERGE different obj models into the scene, and use the OBJECTS panel to hide or unhide different objects in the scene. The Paint Room and the Tweak Room are companion workspaces. You manipulate/transform/sculpt the (low-med poly) models in the Tweak Room and the Paint room does the texturing part. It's almost as if the app is split into two major divisions.

1) Paint Room, Tweak Room, UV Room

2) Voxel Room and Retopo Room

Merging in the Retopo Room is like a bridge taking you from the 2nd Division to the 1st, with all your maps baked in the process. It's setup this way because users tend to approach the app from one end of the pipeline or the other.

• Reputable Contributor

I keep intending to suggest to Andrew that the Select/Move tool in the Tweak Room, should be renamed Transform Tool...so it's easier to understand. That is the tool you want to use and it has some different options within the Tool Options panel, to select objects or gradient select, and then specific transform types (Move, Scale, Rotate). It's mostly a legacy room that still has a lot of functionality most overlook.

Check the UV's of the second object, when you merged. If they are ok, I would suggest going to the HELP menu and choosing "Send Large file to support" and send them to scene or obj files (with textures). You can always import those textures themselves, via TEXTURES > IMPORT (Color, Spec, Normal, Displacement), but you shouldn't have to in this case. It's something Andrew should see, if it is indeed a problem.

E-mail him after uploading the files, as a follow up...explaining what you were trying to do, and where it was giving you problems.

• Advanced Member

OKay thanks, I figured out how to move my objects in the tweak room finally :) Yes, the option is very much hidden as still gave me a few object selection issues (as you can see on the video).

This video illustrates the object import ..the second time I import it it doesn't have textures....

http://www.pigobo.com/Videos/3dCoatMergeBug.mp4

..File uploaded to support - I think. Not much of a confirmation message:

You can upload up to 1Gb file

We have used html5 uploader)

Edited by Grimmy

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah...that is weird behavior. I hope you were able to e-mail this to Andrew. Both things certainly should be looked at. Sometimes I may get a funky behavior, like the brush intensity indicator no longer showing, and if I close the app and re-open, sometimes the weird behavior stops. I will sometimes delete the Options.xml file in MyDocs/3D Coat...as the xml file can get corrupted once in a while. Overall, though, it's been fairly stable.