3DCoat Forums

Import without triangulation?

ajz3d

• Contributor

Is it possible to import a model into Voxel Room's surface without triangulating it? Just for doing some major tweaks while keeping the topology intact?

I know that Tweak Room has been designed for this purpose, but it only has a tiny fraction of surface tools available in the Voxel Room. It doesn't have Pose Tool for example.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Thanks. Interesting tool. It looks powerful, however I have trouble understanding how it works. I'm trying to pose an appendage, but I always end up with it being bent like a snake. I'll keep trying.

@Tony, thank you. It's a good idea, but I don't yet have the voxel mesh. :)

I wanted to hop into 3D Coat for a second in order to do some tweaks (re-pose this, inflate that, etc.) and export the object back to NVil for further modelling.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Wait a minute, Tony. :) I don't have the voxel model, but I do have the low-poly mesh. I can merge the current state of it into both Voxel and Retopo Rooms, link them up and pose/tweak using surface tool, just like you suggested. Then export the retopo mesh. This should work, right?

I'll try this.

-----

I tested it.

This solution works exceptionally well. It's only drawback I can think of might come from the fact that (after applying tools from the Surface group) retopo vertices have to be snapped back to surface. This might cause problems in more complex meshes, but mine was still quite simple so everything went smoothly. :)

Thanks!

Edited by ajz3d

• 4 weeks later...