3DCoat Forums

A blacksmith's workshop [wip]

Maximus3D

• Advanced Member

A current work in progress of mine, this scene is already prebuilt buy some other guy for a forum challenge at a Swedish 3D forum. I'm participating in the challenge where the goal is to mainly lit the scene well and then to boost the quality further of the rendering i'm retexturing it and for that purpouse i'm testing to do it with the help of 3D-Coat for the first time now. Main usage of 3DC for this will be to paint various textures, roughnessmaps, dirtmaps and such things. When all that's done i apply these textures and other maps in my Fryrender materials and then testrender the scene and tweak things a bit to get the look and feel i want. :)

This is what the scene looks like (opengl preview from C4D)

t_BlacksmithWm_858f63f.jpg

A roughnessmap/dirtmap i painted in 3DC for the anvil in the scene.

t_BlacksmithAm_fc359fb.jpg

A roughnessmap/dirtmap painted in 3DC for the hammer head.

t_BlacksmithHm_8cdb074.jpg

And a testrender showing how well the roughnessmap and dirtmap i painted works on the anvil. Non of the other objects visible there got any special treatment yet.. :)

t_TEST5am_9ccb5bf.jpg

/ Max

• Advanced Member

One more update today on the hammer head and handle, this uses the roughnessmap/dirtmap i showed in my first post of the hammerhead. This map is blended in nicely with the Fryrender metal material i made for the hammerhead to give it a beaten and worn look.

f_TEST7Hammerm_9b8d4cf.jpg

/ Max

• Advanced Member

Another update, now i painted the texture required for the other grip type tool laying on the anvil. This model had to be partially rebuilt and fixed because it contained some nasty mesh errors which caused 3DC to crash as i were about to paint it. However it's all taken care of now with Modo. :)

Here's a testrendering of the tool.

f_TEST8griptom_945e0dd.jpg

And the dirtmap/roughnessmap painted with 3DC.

f_BlacksmithGm_ea437ad.jpg

/ Max

• Advanced Member

Thanks :) yes the renderings are zoomed in parts of the full image at 1024x768 and then i cropped them. The purpose of the small rendered images is only to show what it looks like rendered as i don't wanna show off the entire scene with my light rig yet and as i'm only working at one part at a time of the image it's would be distracting to show the full image everytime.

So these artifacts you see now, they won't be visible once i'm done with all this. They're only temporary.

/ Max

Another update, now i painted the texture required for the other grip type tool laying on the anvil. This model had to be partially rebuilt and fixed because it contained some nasty mesh errors which caused 3DC to crash as i were about to paint it. However it's all taken care of now with Modo. :)

Hi Max, nice to see you here. Very promising beginning.

Can I ask you which are the import setting you use for the grip? What about UV mapping (done in C4D, Modo or 3DCoat)?

Do you planned to export only color texture or also diplacement (or normal) maps with 3DCoat for this project?

Thanks for you time

Luca

• Advanced Member

Hiya Luca, good to see you too here :) thanks for your comments on my wip. Yes the import settings which seems to work the best so far for this type of work is to import is to basically keep the default settings but change the mapping type to Automapping as i have not yet managed to get good results when exporting the painted texture in 3DC back to C4D or Modo. The exported UV's have never matched the objects UV's for some reason. So i'm importing the mesh with Automapping, then painting my maps and exporting the object+colormap and reimport the object back into C4D or Modo for rendering. It's not really a problem since both scale, position and rotation is preserved when you export it out of 3DC.

At first i tried by UV mapping all models as you usually would do, then paint, then export the colormap, then remap that on my previously uvmapped mesh. But as i wrote above they always mismatched. I know they shouldn't do that, but they still did..

So far i haven't exported any displacementmaps or normalmaps from 3DC, a simple colormap been enough to fill the needs i had. The rest is taken care of in the materialeditor of my renderapplication. All textures are also at 2048x2048 to get enough level of detail yet without having massive ramconsuming maps as one map is often used several times per material and object.

/ Max

At first i tried by UV mapping all models as you usually would do, then paint, then export the colormap, then remap that on my previously uvmapped mesh. But as i wrote above they always mismatched. I know they shouldn't do that, but they still did..

/ Max

Thanks for your tips, useful as always!

I'm trying some different workflow as you do, because I have some little problem with industrial design object (made in moi). Here in this forum the most (obviously) are skilled character designer, with different problem.

So... I will take advantage of your advice! (if it's not a problem for you :lol: )

Thanks again

Luca

• Advanced Member

Anytime Luca :) i'm glad to be able to help if i can.

Aha ok you're trying to texture a Moi mesh, hmm.. as long as you can import the obj file without any artifacts you could always use the retopo tools and rebuild the mesh if it's not to complex and then you automap it with 3DC and then paint your textures on it. If automapping does not work the first time you import your mesh into 3DC. Please post your results on the forum, start a wip thread or something. I'd like to see :)

/ Max

• Advanced Member

Time for another update, this time i painted the log that stands under the anvil and i painted both it's outer shell of bark and it's inner core of rings including it's dirtmap. Another thing i also took care of are the big nails that secures the anvil to the log. However these rendered almost black for some stupid reason, a problem i will look deeper into today to see if i can sort out.

Here's a crop from a 1600x1200 render i cooked during the night for 9 hours 30 minutes.

f_TEST10cropwm_875f710.jpg

/ Max

Wow! Really awesome! Only floor requires some dirt.

No problem Andrew, Max is the master of the dirty texture (as you can see in his render)!

Anyway, very well done Max, finally some "real" picture (with dirt, scratch, irregularity), not only photoreal image.

I purchase 3D Coat for this reason, but 'til now I have not time (and skill) to do such work.

I want to see the charcoal fire....

Luca

• Advanced Member

Andrew: Thank you very much :) the floor will soon recieve some well deserved attention. I'll deal with one item at a time in the scene, there's no rush with this scene.

Juan: Thanks! :) i been trying to give the textures lots of attention to detail to see if i could make this scene feel realistic and to get that typical dark dirty mood in the blacksmith's workshop.

Luca: Hehe thanks man :D when i'm done with this i'll be using Maxwell for my next image, a hint.. the old toycar. So far it seems 3DC does a good job when painting maps like this, it sure is easier than doing it in Photoshop. :) btw, i'd like to see something you done where you used 3DC Luca.

Eric: Thanks :) glad you like them

Another update..

I used 3DC to retopo a new mesh ontop of the old nails meshes because they were pretty poor, well they were not renderfriendly with Fry because of high polycount and open meshes, so i rebuilt them. Here's a few screens showing my new topology done with 3DC, note it was the first time i used 3DC for this and i was to lazy to read the manual so i took a wild guess and tried it, it worked and very well! pretty easy tools to use. :)

t_BlacksmithNm_34be7fd.jpgt_BlacksmithNm_6a98d82.jpgt_BlacksmithNm_22b7ea8.jpgt_BlacksmithNm_ffc904c.jpg

And when all that was done, which took a while.. i painted a new dirtmap for the nails. Only problem now is that the nails are barely visible in the rendering. :(

t_BlacksmithNm_553742a.jpg

When that was done i did some extra tweaks, tried to fire up the coalfurnace to melt some steel. :) here's my first testrender of the burning coal and the remaining enviromental light in the scene provided by a hdr.

f_TEST15glarem_b157a47.jpg

/ Max

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew :) i appreciate your comments on my work. If you think this is great.. wait until i really got started with 3DC and integrated it fully into my workflow. I'm still all new to this tool and trying to find my way around it and learn it's tools but so far the experience with it has been very good and inspiring. :) i hope you can work some more on the 2d paint and texturing tools.

I can show you one of my very first texturepaint tests i did with 3DC of Luxology's old man headmodel that's included with Modo. It's ofcourse not related to this blacksmith scene :) this partial facetexture was just a test, and basically it's what made me buy a license of 3DC.

t_3DKtSkintexm_1ac7e14.jpg

/ Max

• Advanced Member

Thanks, yes well for my first test it's ok but it could be improved a lot :) i'll dig deeper into realistic skinpainting once i finsihed some jobs and projects.

I'm trying to tweak the anvil shader some more to add more rust and grime to the surface, it was a bit to shiny and 'new', so here are two first testrenders.. more will most likely come during the day. :)

f_TEST16anvilm_8357da7.jpg

f_TEST16anvilm_891cd6c.jpg

f_TEST16anvilm_fba18d4.jpg

/ Max

• Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew :) sure you can pick any images you like to place in your gallery, it would be an honor. :)

I haven't worked any more on this scene, been busy with other stuff lately but i will try to resume work on it soon again.

/ Max

• 1 month later...
Thanks Andrew :) sure you can pick any images you like to place in your gallery, it would be an honor. :)

I haven't worked any more on this scene, been busy with other stuff lately but i will try to resume work on it soon again.

/ Max

Very nice maximus!! One of the best anvil worn metal look jobs i've seen (well the first anvil actually). From the roughness maps it's pretty clear that you know how does worn metal look especially on round corners (more shiny). I've got one suggestion since I'm working now a bit in metal industry and I melt, hammer and do other kinds of stuff to all kinds of metal (precious, ferrous) and I too own all sorts of anvil (even such that are polished to 1000 grit and then even polished with a paste to get a mirror finish) You should give it some indentations and peeled of rust spots with displacement - maybe even some damage like sharp ridges caused by sharp ends hammers and etc.. maybe even some weight letters like 120 lbs, maybe even a logo of the brand. Lots of references on google images and flickr ;)

No problem Andrew, Max is the master of the dirty texture (as you can see in his render)!

Anyway, very well done Max, finally some "real" picture (with dirt, scratch, irregularity), not only photoreal image.

I purchase 3D Coat for this reason, but 'til now I have not time (and skill) to do such work.

I want to see the charcoal fire....

Luca

This is excellent. The biggest problem with most 3d stuff they are too clean. No dirt , no dust or mud. I hope one day to come close, even alittle as your textures.