3DCoat Forums

Select Element

puntoit

• Advanced Member

Let´s begin with that I don´t know if such a feature already exists.
Let´s say I have one volume (Surface mode) containing a bird cage with a bird inside. Both surfaces are separated and have no contact to each other. I would like to select the bird with one click. Is that possible?

If not I would like to have a Select tool where I can select Lumps/Elements/or whatever you call´em. While we are at it, maybe select all polygons within a certain angle to each other. I am sure more ideas will follow.

• Advanced Member

If the bird cage and the bird are on separate layers, then hover over any of the two items and press H. Or have 'Auto Pick' on (top, right of menus).

Apart from that, if you're in Surface mode and your cage and bird are in the same layer (and not connected) you can use 'Separate Disconnected Pieces' which will play them into separate layers.

As for the other requests, I will wait for the likes of Digman or Andrew to pop on and answer.

• Advanced Member

Hi wave of light (nice name),

'Separate Disconnected Pieces' would have been in this case what I was looking for. At the moment I am trying to paint a figurine that I created in FreeForm a while ago. This figurine is holding a tool in it´s hand which is a separated piece. When importing this STL into 3ds Max I can select this tool as a subobject "element".

Oops, while writing this I checked my 3dc scene again and the 'Separate Disconnected Pieces' did work. I was confused as I started hiding the new layers one by one from the bottom up and nothing disappeared until I hid the uppermost layer. Now I unhid the layers the other way around and discovered that the function did what it was supposed to do but copied the original into separate layers.

Thanks for the help.

Now that it solved my momentary problem I still think that a Select tool might be useful. I am thinking of features that I have in FreeForm or 3ds Max like "Lump Select" (FreeForm term) or "Select Element§ (3ds Max Term) as the 'Separate Disconnected Pieces' is useful but not all the time desired and functions to select all polygons within a certain angle to each other so that I can more easily separate the shoes and stuff.

• Advanced Member

Thanks man. Wave (or waves on some of the forums) of Light, is just a wordplay of 'Lightwave' backwards, as it was the first ever 3D software I touched.

I also noticed that 'Separate Disconnected Pieces' didn't seem to work straight away. I will go and test it with the latest V4 build and see if I'm doing it right.

As for your request, you may want to raise a Mantis request for your feature ideas. I know sort of what it is you want, but I don't think there is anything in 3DC that can select part of the Voxel/Surface mesh based on the detail or angle of the detail.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/

• Advanced Member

Ok, that's interesting. If you start with a Voxel object, sculpt, turn to Surface mode and then try to do 'Separate Disconnect Pieces' it doesn't work. If, however, you do another function first, say 'Cleanup Memory' or 'Close holes' and then run SDP, it works.

If you start in Surface mode, then SDP works straight away too.

Can you confirm this for me?

• Advanced Member

Thanks Carlosan. I've just downloaded the latest build and it seems to work in that version. only did a quick test, so will have a proper go when I get back this evening.

cheers,

Ricky.