3DCoat Forums

Pix's Doodles

Pix Jigsaw

• Advanced Member

@ tony. Thank's for the info on Reference Image. I'm giving the demo a try. I like the way you can work through the image. Great for cutting out things.

@garagarape Thanks for your kind words. I've been getting inspired by your WIP thread, too. Here is another look made from that 3D render, above. I made it very simple.post-21582-0-03238700-1372301489_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I've been having fun with the lathe tool. 

This doodle is all 3D coat.  Used Lathe for the cookie jar and lid.  Text tool for the text + move tool and transform for fine adjustments to the text letters.  Curve tool for the tentacle using 3D Coat tentacle spline.  I painted each vox layer in the paint room.  If I made this again, I would up the rez level for the text.  They ended up a little jaggy.

post-21582-0-20043600-1374045896_thumb.j

Edited by Pix Jigsaw

• Advanced Member

Thanks.   I don't know much about 3D Coat, but at least I know the lathe tool.    I was really happy with the way the glass texture came out.  Some of the inside texture shows through.  I have to try some more of that.  Wonder if those textures will look ok if I take the objects over to Blender Cycles.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It makes me happy too--now that I'm finally figuring out how to use them.  I have to say, though, the reference image feature is really, really rough.  I've been having to hide it to cut things with the e-panel tools.  Also there is a bug so if you actually touch the reference image when placing a primitive it resets the parameters of the primitives tool and moves it off screen.

That said, its still really fun and the project is moving right along.

post-21582-0-88961100-1377306399_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Contributor

It makes me happy too--now that I'm finally figuring out how to use them.  I have to say, though, the reference image feature is really, really rough.  I've been having to hide it to cut things with the e-panel tools.  Also there is a bug so if you actually touch the reference image when placing a primitive it resets the parameters of the primitives tool and moves it off screen.

That said, its still really fun and the project is moving right along.

attachicon.gifOld Time Banjo WIP2.png

Another great (and cheap) reference tool is Leigh Bamforth's "Reference Image" (Scarymonsters.org) that allows control over opacity, is on top and allows you to work on the object it overlays.

• Advanced Member

@ Cylon.  Thanks!

@Tony  I'm trying to buy Reference Image, but Leigh's website is broken and gives an error when I try and register with the site.  So far, he isn't answering his e-mail.  :(  I used the demo and it looks like it would be a very useful tool.

• Contributor

I always put all my reference images on my second monitor and just look at them when I need to. I don't like putting them on the same screen as 3D-Coat, because they usually seem to get in the way. On the other hand, sometimes I really need to have the reference images inside the actual viewport, so I use the "edit image placement" tool options box. I think the options there are pretty good. IMO the key to using it effectively is to set up good "Opacity" and "Inside Opacity" settings, and then close that tool box (the "close" button there) so that you can't accidentally move the images any more. You probably already knew about all of this Pix, but I thought I'd just point it out to you just in case. :)