3DCoat Forums
The Candy-floss Kid

Voxel sculpt -123d Creature armature

Downloaded Autodesk 123D Creature for the Ipad this evening and found it a great way to free sketch clay armatures as a basis for further sculpting in 3DCoat. It functions much liked instantly rigged metaballs - which means that you can both shape and pose the the armature rig quickly but also use the rig to create further modelling details. Although it is a rigging tool capable of quickly creating complex creatures of your own imaginings it can also be used for basic form shaping other than characters with limbs.

It's an alternative obviously to creating a starting armature using 3DCoat's own curves.

On initial experience 123D Creature seems a very quick way to create a starting armature .obj file for sculpting out in 3DCoat with a strong essence of suggested character and basic silhouette. It's native sculpting tools although interesting are rudimentary.

Of interest if you're on the move , or relaxing in a comfy seat away from the computer it allows you to sketch clay armature ideas for later bringing in to 3DCoat or wheresoever you prefer to do your sculpting. It's a nice idea to think that you can begin a sculpting session in 3DCoat with a ready-made clay armature sketch you have done whilst away from the computer.

1hour voxel sketch on 123D armature with rudimentary vertex paint colorization and 3DCoat render.

Using 3DCoat V3.

post-2166-0-86576800-1371960355_thumb.jp

That looks great. I dont't have an Ipad,I will have to see if it is ok for normal computers, it surely is.

Edit: It surely is not...

Edited by stusutcliffe

That looks great. I dont't have an Ipad,I will have to see if it is ok for normal computers, it surely is.

Edit: It surely is not...

Sorry Stu , unfortunately it is not available as yet and requires IOS 6 for the Ipad. I should have said.

Here's a good review I found http://solidsmack.com/cad/the-123d-creature-from-the-autodesk-app-lagoon/

Here's another quick 3DCoat vertex painted doodle based on another 123d creature armature.

post-2166-0-96101800-1372014687_thumb.jp

post-2166-0-69408800-1372014706_thumb.jp

Thanks Pix , here's a collection of characters taken to an early soft sculpt in 3DCoat - created in one evening now that I'm a bit more up to speed with utilizing the 123d creature rig for sculpt shaping. Render in 3DCoat - vertex paint.

post-2166-0-80054200-1372217773_thumb.jp