3DCoat Forums

ZBrush 4R6 - Yet not excited

A small update by me about 3D-Coats autopo routine and zbrushs zremesher. I made a lot of tries in 3dc to autopo hollow objects like shoes. Impossible. That's all to say. And I tried a lot. Always with corrupted meshes or unusable polyflow. Then a friend of mine offered me to try it in zbrushs zremesher.

I was completely flashed when I saw the results. Zbrush made the job automatically and without any guides or other tweaks. And much faster then 3DC. I don't know how they do it but they do it great. I don't see a chance for 3dc to make it better right now. But I hope Andrew take a look at the current autopo routines sometime.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

A small update by me about 3D-Coats autopo routine and zbrushs zremesher. I made a lot of tries in 3dc to autopo hollow objects like shoes. Impossible. That's all to say. And I tried a lot. Always with corrupted meshes or unusable polyflow. Then a friend of mine offered me to try it in zbrushs zremesher.

I was completely flashed when I saw the results. Zbrush made the job automatically and without any guides or other tweaks. And much faster then 3DC. I don't know how they do it but they do it great. I don't see a chance for 3dc to make it better right now. But I hope Andrew take a look at the current autopo routines sometime.

Just my two cents.

3D Coat's Auto Retopo really hates thin objects, so I'm not surprised. It's always been a roll of the dice whenever I try to use Auto-Retopo. So, I just use it on all the secondary, primitive shaped objects, like buttons, bracelets and such. It saves a lot of time in those circumstances, but almost never when I want to use it on a moderately complex object. I have to make several attempts and often just quit and use the Strokes tool.

I think what happened was, Andrew got bored working on Auto-Retopo and moved on. It's probably going to take someone on staff doing the grunt work...maybe Raul...because I don't think Andrew is prepared to spend the kind of time it would take to bring Auto-Retopo up to the same level as Z-Remesher. They put Dr. Peters on it for almost 2yrs, so it's no small task.

• Reputable Contributor

I should add a quick note...It's my understanding that Dr. Peters is no longer with Pixologic, and was last working for the Foundry (on that that new painting/sketching app?). Would be nice if Andrew could contract him out for a few months to redo Auto-Retopo?

• Reputable Contributor

I don't think there would be any problems bringing his expertise working on Auto-topolgy to 3D Coat, as Pixologic copied the feature from 3D Coat, first...among other things. Mudbox did, too. There is already a precedent in doing this, when Raul was hired by Andrew to implement the same LiveClay work he was doing in Blender, into 3D Coat.

Arnold Render did the same thing with the developer of Cycles, in Blender. They hired him away to do the same type of work.

I don't think copying features is the right topic when comparing a function like the autoretopo routine. Automatic retopology routines existed already much longer before they were implemented in a sculpting tool like 3dc or zbrush.

The first time the routines where used was for scanned objects. As I know all the people use Siggraph papers for their routines and adjust them a bit. The autoretopo papers of this year's Siggraph are amazing and shows the future of this development.

But I hope like you Don that Andrew will undertake another try in this part. I think the advantage of pixologic is that they have a much bigger team and a better financial background.

I should add a quick note...It's my understanding that Dr. Peters is no longer with Pixologic, and was last working for the Foundry (on that that new painting/sketching app?). Would be nice if Andrew could contract him out for a few months to redo Auto-Retopo?

Had no idea he left Pixologic. Still really respect him for the amazing work he did creating Sculptris years ago (I was in the beta, it was a blast, almost any change or fix we requested was implemented in under 24hours).

Interesting to hear he's with The Foundry now. Wonder if he's cooking up anything for future versions of Modo, or did for the recent 901 launch...?