3DCoat Forums
R3T.R0

Retopology

Hello, I want to make a TF2 item and I would like to ask, how I make such a nice retopology on a hat like in the trailer:
http://store.steamgames.com/video/100980

The third trailer, he speeds up the time and for a short duration you can see that his hat has a really nice retopology, how do I do that? I played a bit with the retopology tools, but mine isn't even close to that :wacko:

Hi,

there is no special magic. you can do it using AUTOPO or manual retopology. it's all depends on your accuracy (how accurate you put a stroke, etc). Learn and try. Try and learn.

You can share the image of what you have and the techniques that you used, and we may suggest something based on that :)

don't give up ;)

Yeah, I won't, thanks for the reply :)
I really like 3D Coat, I used to start with Blender, but I think I did the right decision buying 3D Coat and using it instead of Blender.

So, I tried to use autopo, I tried to use it with a simple test hat. So I did some strokes at some keypoints, but that's what came out as the result:

retopo1jvstx.png

The result:

retopo29ysep.png

something wrong here...

I have this (pic 1):

1. Terget polycount = 800

2. Paint all hat's disc (bottom thin part) as dense

3. set the guides like this (pic 2)

4. voila :)

post-896-0-78307900-1373553178_thumb.jpg

post-896-0-78945100-1373553321_thumb.jpg

Hmm, the hat I created was made by using a reference model, so I had to tilt the hat a bit. Can I tilt it later, after I applied the primitives?

I know that some numpad buttons allow the user to see the perfect side, top bottom etc. of a model, but since my hat is tilt it doesn't work that way ^^

sure! btw, in the video he made retopo of a perfect straight hat, and then deformed it in retopo room using Brush tool (with symmetry enabled)

Did you make the hat in the TF2 Mode? I tried it again, painted the whole bottom as dense, did the strokes etc.

And 800 in the polycount too, but it looks like the result I had before, just with less squares.

No, just in 3D-Coat. Maybe you should ask on Steam about the issue? or try to do the same in simple voxel scene (no TF2 mode)

Edit: does manual retopo work?