3DCoat Forums
ajz3d

[Solved] Destroyed mesh !

Surface mode, v4.0.05.

I hid parts of my sculpture to access areas that they partially obscured. After sculpting some medium details (I used proxy once, CleanClay decimation many times) I unhid everything and got a broken mesh as a result (see attached image). "Cleaning up memory" results in only a bigger mess and "Clean surface" command almost instantly crashes 3D Coat. Now I have to revert to the most recent, working incremental save.

What's going on here?

post-12523-0-21443500-1373647486_thumb.j

I have also had these issues. My workaround is to be careful when performing certain operations in proxy mode, I find that this is the culprit. What I do is If I have an exploded mesh I will undo back to its correct state and change the resolution of the model to refresh it. Changing the resolution at some point fixes this issue for me. Obviously if you've got a lot of work done and this happens, your kind of screwed. So your doing the right thing by incrementally saving. So if your working in proxy mode and make changes go back to full res consistently to check your mesh.

I've also had this happen simply by sculpting with the surface tools, and using the Clean Surface command, remeshing with the ENTER key and undoing. It would be nice to have a "Revert to Last Saved Version" command in the Undo options, as sometimes Undo will make things worse.

I've also had this happen simply by sculpting with the surface tools, and using the Clean Surface command, remeshing with the ENTER key and undoing. It would be nice to have a "Revert to Last Saved Version" command in the Undo options, as sometimes Undo will make things worse.

You have AutoSave in the Preferences and you can set how many Auto Save files you want to use, as well as how frequently it saves. I have it set on every 20 min or so. It's pretty rare that I get a mangled mesh like that, but it happens once in a blue moon.

You have AutoSave in the Preferences and you can set how many Auto Save files you want to use, as well as how frequently it saves. I have it set on every 20 min or so. It's pretty rare that I get a mangled mesh like that, but it happens once in a blue moon.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll give it a try.

In the past, I haven't enabled that option since I'm in the habit of saving and incrementally saving every few minutes with all my 2D/3D apps. After a few bad experiences, I've learned my lesson.

Folks, I did some tests and their results are quite interesting:

1. Surface mode. Without hiding anything with the SurfHide tool, I clicked the Unhide All command. Result: model broken as on the screenshots. It's almost like 3D Coat kept some early version of the volume in its hidden buffer and, on unhide command, tried to perform some merging operations with it and the current version of the mesh. No wonder it has broken the model.

2. Surface mode. I clicked the Delete Hidden first (by the way, there are two Delete Hidden menu items in the Voxels menu and I tried both) and then repeated point 1. Result: The same as in #1.

3. Converted surface to voxels. Then I clicked the Unhide All command. Result: Two meshes stacked on each other, but there were no visible holes on errors on the mesh.

4. Converted surface to voxels. Performed Delete hidden operation and then point 3. Result: No changes.

5. Converted surface to voxels, then converted it back to surface and clicked the Unhide All command. Result: Two stacked meshes like in point 3.

So, there's definitely a duplicate of some earlier version of the sculpture in the buffer that stores hidden voxel surface (voxel, because only in voxel mode it can be gotten rid of). The question is, why it's there? The first thing I hid was one of the fins, but it was in the surface mode. However, while in voxel mode I used proxy a lot, so maybe at some point 3D Coat got lost and instead of "forgetting" the high-res mesh it had stored upon entering the proxy mode, when told to leave the proxy mode it moved that mesh to a place in the memory where it stores hidden surfaces? Just a theory.

-----

The problem I have now is that because of the above and the fact that I have already sculpted plenty of LC details in the surface mode, I cannot convert the mesh to voxels in order to delete that hidden old version of my fish. Clicking any of the Delete hidden commands does not delete it. This simply means that I cannot use SurfHide tool any more and I still have the inside of the mouth to do which I... cannot do without hiding stuff. So I'm pretty much STUCK.

Ha, solved this one by duplicating the surface layer with my fish. It seems to drop all hidden items. Phew! :rofl:

What a day!

Edited by ajz3d

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your help guys, which I forgot to do yesterday. :blush:

Second of all, I have a question about this autosave feature. How does it work exactly? I'm a bit afraid of autosaves, even in simple office applications.
From what I understand, it saves every n-th minute to k-incremental files (I've noticed that the quantity of those files I can set in the Preferences). But does 3D Coat leave the current (opened) scene file intact? What I fear is a situation when I open a file, perform some experiments on its contents (experiments that I don't want to be saved) and the next time I open the file it will contain those changes - meaning my previous work is destroyed.

---

Oh, I forgot.

If your mesh (in surface mode) goes crazy after Unhide All operation, could you please be so kind and load up the most recent incremental save from before you have hidden some stuff, and check whether invoking Unhide All reveals some old version of your model? I'm still puzzled if it was a user error on my side or not.

Edited by ajz3d

Bug regression confirmed and reported.

//edit

solved on latest version