3D Coat Forums
stusutcliffe

Braided Hair

Anyone tried to make a braided hair section for use with the curves/splines tool? I'm slowly working my way up to having ago....or maybe "she" will just end up with straight hair...

Anyone tried to make a braided hair section for use with the curves/splines tool? I'm slowly working my way up to having ago....or maybe "she" will just end up with straight hair...

You really only need one secton, then drag and drop that layer into the Splines Pallet, it will create a spline object for you that can be repeated along a curve. I would start with a FFD cylinder, to create one twist > commit to layer with the ENTER key > make duplicates/instances of it > use Transform tool to rotate/move copies as needed. Once it looks good as a whole section > create new blank layer > right-click and choose MERGE VISIBLE. That creates a copy of all, but merged together as one object. That is the object you want to drag and drop into the Splines pallet, naturally.

Thanks, some good tips there! The key thing I think is getting a good "rhythm" with the hair and not making it look like a piece of rope!

Damn , I've got to go out for the day, so I cant have a go. But here is a noob question. When I am manipulating the lattice is there a way of selecting more than one edge at once,or is it shift /click each one? I get the urge to lasso them , is there a option for this ?

Edited by stusutcliffe

@ Tony and Stu. You can lasso multiple elements of the lattice to select them. Go up to the e-panel and select the draw contour mode. Works just like a lasso.

post-21582-0-39896900-1373819886_thumb.p

On 7/13/2013 at 11:39 PM, AbnRanger said:

You really only need one secton, then drag and drop that layer into the Splines Pallet, it will create a spline object for you that can be repeated along a curve. I would start with a FFD cylinder, to create one twist > commit to layer with the ENTER key > make duplicates/instances of it > use Transform tool to rotate/move copies as needed. Once it looks good as a whole section > create new blank layer > right-click and choose MERGE VISIBLE. That creates a copy of all, but merged together as one object. That is the object you want to drag and drop into the Splines pallet, naturally.

Thanks for this tip!

But when I have tried to follow it, I could not find Twist tool anywhere.

Documentation here (http://3dcoat.com/manual/sculpt/134-adjustmenttools/ ) says it should be under Adjustment tab, but such thing as Twist doesnt exist in my 3D Coat version (currently 4.7.06 on my machine).

Any help where to find that Twist tool is much appreciated (p.s. Twist under Warp tool is weird and I cant twist there on the center axis, and yes I am trying to make braid).

Is this forum dead?

Anyway I found this tutorial helpful (it is for ZBrush but same can be achieved with curves tool in 3DCoat too):

I have attached in this post tiling braid mesh to put into 3DCoat :)

braid01.obj

• Like 1