3DCoat Forums

AJ's doodley doodles

ajz3d

• Contributor

Hey guys.
Robert,
I find Substance Designer good for creating base PBR materials with random texture, like brass, steel, paint, patina, rust, etc. and to easily blend them afterwards. What I like the best about it, is that I can easily tweak a single parameter and with it, for instance, increase the patina coverage on the brass parts of my model within seconds. However, the wood I found impossible to create in SD, because wood has a specific texture and I had to maintain a continuity between different oriented UV islands of my model. And this I couldn't figure out how to do in the program. Maybe there is a way to accomplish this, but I had to resort to 3D Coat's excellent texture painting capabilities. :)

Malo, Tony,
I did the wood texture painting in 3D Coat and the alpha map for the paint fill of the butt's engravings. There are still much more areas that need 3D Coat's attention, but they are not visible on the image.

To prepare the wood texture for 3D Coat's "stamping" I used BItmap2Material3.

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Thanks.

The pistol has 13 261 vertices (25 725 triangles), so it's probably not of the lowest poly count. I wanted something low-poly, but at the same time still looking very smooth on close ups.

I don't have any plans to use it in a game or animation, but when I was modelling the pistol I thought of it as player's weapon in an imaginary FPS game.

I noticed that I actually forgot to uncock the pistol. I'll post an update some time later.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Imagine firing one.

There's this guy firing a tiny ducksfoot pistol:

The pistol he fires is similar to the one from the second image from this page: http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/ducksfoot.html. I used this site as a reference for my model (second to last on that page).

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Contributor

Trying to construct a robot. I even got myself a screwdriver. ;)

But what I'm really making is establishing a, more-or-less, WYSIWYG pipeline between 3D-Coat's PBR materials and Mantra Surface shader. I think I'm close, but there are still some slight problems with roughness maps.

New item: plastic rivet for motherboard. I'm starting to miss some kind of a fake SSS and semi-transparent shaders inside 3D-Coat.

mobo_bolt.jpg?dl=1

Now to texture an old coffee can and fill it with them, nuts and bolts.

• Like 3

• Contributor

Come on ajZ3d!

Admit that the last pic is a photo

you took with a camera! :)

Nice job!

Damn, you got me. It was shot with hou.node('/obj/cam1') camera armed with 55mm lens. I highly recommend it. Available in your local store. ;)

Coffee can:

uncle_gonzales_coffee_can.jpg?dl=1

Digman, you can now add another one of those old coffee cans to your list. :)

• Like 5

• Contributor

And the can rendered in Mantra (using mantrasurface shader GGX). One of the last tests before the main render.

Sorry for a little bit of grain and no DOF, but I didn't have time to render this with better quality settings. SSS and refractions on motherboard rivets take quite some time to calculate.

Any critique is most welcome.

nuts_and_bolts_test.jpg?dl=1

• Like 3

• Contributor

Yeah, probably not. I just realized that at current camera settings, rendering of DOF would come out as free - with little to no impact to overall rendering time. :)

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Aw, guys, please write some critique. Like the floor is too flat (a flat plane with a normal map) or the decals on the can end too soon, or it's bad lighting, or the rivets don't look transparent enough, or there are to many of the rivets in proportion to other objects, or the screwdriver's tip doesn't look worn enough or whatever. Even the most bitter critique is better than none.

To cite after whomever said it: "Negative critique leads to improvement. No critique leads to stagnation".

• Advanced Member

And the can rendered in Mantra (using mantrasurface shader GGX). One of the last tests before the main render.

Sorry for a little bit of grain and no DOF, but I didn't have time to render this with better quality settings. SSS and refractions on motherboard rivets take quite some time to calculate.

Any critique is most welcome.

nuts_and_bolts_test.jpg?dl=1

Since you did that in Houdini, I'd be interested in knowing what Geo node system you used to fill the can up with those objects...

• Like 2

• Contributor

Thanks for your opinions. I'm currently working on the issues that you guys mentioned.

The problem with the floating screwdriver might come from the fact that it touches the floor where its normal map is concave, creating an illusion that it's levitating. I'll see if simply moving the texture of the floor, or the screwdriver, will be enough to fix this.

Since you did that in Houdini, I'd be interested in knowing what Geo node system you used to fill the can up with those objects...

I used RBD point objects with RBD solver. Dropped all the parts from points of a cylindrical mesh through a static RBD funnel straight into the can.

The funnel's collision mesh was converted to a volume and merged with can's collision mesh. This prevented any parts from falling out from the can and only bounce inside it until settling down. Then I waited for the autofreeze DOP to kick in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

The cooler sits in the case of my computer. It's so goddamn huge and heavy that I sometimes wonder how it manages to hold itself in a horizontal position without breaking my motherboard in half. :rofl:

I hold the possession of all of the items pictured here, apart of the coffee can, which is purely a creation of my imagination.

The screwdriver is of LUX manufacture. My favourite. It has a very firm grip and I think I bought it at OBI's or maybe it was Leroy? Screws were gathered by me for aeons, so I don't know who produced them. :)

A beer for anyone who can recognize the face of uncle Gonzales.

Edited by ajz3d