3DCoat Forums
ajz3d

AJ's doodley doodles

A short report from the current progress on Mr. Blobby's scene. The environment model is completed in about 10%. Basically, the only thing I have for now, is a completed model of a folding table and some rough interior of a fishing boat with no details.

The scene is still missing the following objects:

- door handle;

- frames and glass in windows;

- walls' and windows' screws;

- corner "frames" or whatever they're called (I'm still not sure if I should add them);

- control panel with various dials;

- ye olde' steering wheel;

- rubber raincoats and hats hanging on the wall;

- hanger for the raincoats;

- fishing net (dunno where to place it yet... hanging from the ceiling perhaps?);

- water puddle under the fish;

- barrels full of fish outside of the cabin, visible from the windows (one of barrels in the cabin perhaps?);

- the rest of the fishing boat that would be visible from the windows (ugh!);

- other stuff I forgot about.

Human model (190cm) is just for scale reference.

I'm going to import the walls to 3D Coat very soon for sculpting some chipped paint.

I hope to finish this 10-15 sec. short animation around 6th of November. At least that's what Mr. Open Workbench thinks in his cryptic Gantt charts. ;)

post-12523-0-26717800-1378599681_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d

A short update on what is going on with Mr. Blobby's scene.

But first...

I... Managed to broke a pen of my home Bamboo tablet... That's one mighty trick, something you won't normally witness. :D

I accidentally dropped it from 1.5 meters on a terracotta floor. Not that it didn't happen before, but this time it was lethal for the pen.

The plastic cylinder of the main tip broke into three pieces. Two of them you can see on the image. The third (the middle one) is so tiny that I didn't even bothered to keep it. It would be impossible to glue it back, because it was too small to hold it firmly even with small sweezers. And yet... the chipped part was enough for the coil to unwind itself. And with unwound coil, the main part of the pen is pretty much useless.

The eraser tip still works, because of the coil being intact on this end. However, it's treated as, well, an eraser in every software that recognises Wacom tablets. So, while it seems I can sculpt OK with the eraser tip in 3D Coat, I cannot paint anything with it in the Paint Room. "You're holding the pen by its bacon, AJ" - says 3D Coat. :)

So, I thought that instead of purchasing a new pen for the Bamboo, I'll order myself a new Intuos Pro M tablet. I think it's about time to do this, because my ol' bamboo-mamboo  is like 6 years old now and the new pen is too expensive to buy for such an old tablet. It did serve me well I must say, but it's time to move on. Of course I will try to fix the Bamboo pen by de-soldering the eraser's coil and moving it into main coil's place (never used the eraser anyway as it's quicker to press buttons on the keyboard). The plastic cylinder seems to be right about the same diameter as the broken one, so it might work I think. I guess, time will show.

Anyway, some Mr. Blobby stuff now.

Almost all stuff things from the scene are completed. On the modelling and UV side of course.

The scene is still missing the following objects:

- door handle; DONE

- frames and glass in windows; DONE

- walls' and windows' screws; DONE

- corner "frames" or whatever they're called (I'm still not sure if I should add them); NOT NECESSARY

- control panel with various dials; DONE

- ye olde' steering wheel; MIGHT NOT BE OLDE', BUT IT"S DONE

- rubber raincoats and hats hanging on the wall; DONE (DOING OK IN DYNAMICS)

- hanger for the raincoats; DONE

- fishing net (dunno where to place it yet... hanging from the ceiling perhaps?); STILL THINKING

- water puddle under the fish DOING R&D TO FIND THE BEST SOLUTION

- barrels full of fish outside of the cabin, visible from the windows (one of barrels in the cabin perhaps?); WIP

- the rest of the fishing boat that would be visible from the windows (ugh!); DONE

- other stuff I forgot about. WE'LL SEE ABOUT IT ;)

Next step is sculpts and textures in 3D Coat, but that's after the new tablet will arrive. Ugh..

One more thing to add (apart of the missing barrel(s) are window net curtains over circular windows. It might add a nice touch to the scene I think.

P. S. The mesh of those coats from the image is an old one. They have now a longer "tail" or what it's called... that thing that covers the hole on the back. :)

Also, I tried to define the UVs in such a way so they correspond to real physical seams of the material. I hope this will make painting material much easier (not that rubber has any pattern, but it's about the principle... :D)

post-12523-0-20222800-1380504056_thumb.j

post-12523-0-37097800-1380507634_thumb.j

post-12523-0-08602100-1380507640_thumb.j

Oh, camera angles are accidental. And the person from the first shot is but a size reference. There won't be any people in the animation... I think...

Wow, thank you Silkroad. I'm not too happy about Mr. Blobby's model, but I hope I'll be able to mask its deficiencies in the final scene.

Anyway, the new Intuos Pro M (basically the renamed Intuos5 with wireless) has arrived and I can finally start drawing some textures for Mr. Blobby's scene. :yahoo:

I have to say that the difference in quality between the new Intuos and my old ancient relic when sculpting and drawing in 3D Coat is like night and day. There's no more jittering when I hoover near the tablet's surface and I have yet to observe the full pressure brush blobs at the end of each stroke that I experienced with Bamboo. Built-in WiFi connection works without any delays. The only thing I find crappy is the touch support which feels very crude and needs considerable pressure applied to the pad.

I don't know why I so stubbornly delayed this purchase for such a long time.

Edited by ajz3d

One of scene's background assets: chirocentrus dorab or "Wolf Herring". It can be found in inshore waters of Australia.

post-12523-0-17123800-1383333838_thumb.j

I painted the scales with a gum brush over a seamless custom alpha texture.

However, I wonder if there's a better way of covering huge areas with seamless textures in the Voxel Room, because with the above I had to do it with three strokes interrupted by camera pan. This resulted in some visible seams in the details, which I more or less tried to hide. If you look carefully, you will spot them.

Feature cloning that Raul is developing might have greatly helped with the scales I believe (instead of doing them with the mask).

Edited by ajz3d

In order not to flood the challenge thread with minor updates, I thought I'll post them here.

Low detail officer's leather high boots, base model of Schirmmütze (peaked cap) and a few tweaks done to face.

Next stop: belt buckle and pistol holster (today, I hope). Then I can start to add details.

post-12523-0-22950800-1385472107_thumb.j

P-38 hardshell pistol holster with a place for a spare magazine.

post-12523-0-95343800-1385722252_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1

I spent a whole day creating accessories for the uniform, switching between Retopo and Voxel rooms like madman. The hardest part was to gather good reference material. I was very picky because I'd like this uniform to be as historically accurate as possible.

From missing things that are yet to be done, are: a cap pin, collar insignias (Litzen) and ribbon bars. Pockets aren't merged with a tunic yet which is probably quite apparent as they look like stickers. I will deal with them soon enough.

You might have noticed that clothing doesn't have any thickness. My idea is to keep it this way until I assure myself I'm completely done with key folds. It's easier to introduce corrections to a one-sided surface than to a thick double-sided carpet. ;) Plus, I like to be in a complete control over my work.

wip11_accessories1.jpg

• Like 2

Like the Uniform, it Looks very acurate, :)

wondering how you get this clean edges of the pockets... im always failing  on these

I like how this is turning out, as well, including the pose...very natural.

Chingchong,

He said the pockets haven't been merged with the tunic, yet.  That's why the edges are so sharp.

Thank you guys.

Yes, pockets are still separate volumes. They are extruded retopo meshes with some supporting edges. Nothing out of extraordinary.

this is all shockingly amazing!

the ugly fish is just phenomenal!

Thanks Aleksey.

Quick tip to all (some of you might already know this).

If you want to paint retopo Strokes with a Steady Stroke, switch to Paint Room or Voxel Room, activate Steady Stroke and switch back to Retopo Room to paint some nice curves.

• Like 4

I resumed working on the duckfoot pistol from the 7th challenge today. Man, it's hard to come back to reality after three weeks of holidays.

I know I said I would model the pistol with subdivs, but I changed my mind and decided to sculpt it in 3D Coat as much as possible. I was always kind of afraid not to use external software for base 3D Coat's base meshes, but it turns out that working in 3DC from scratch is not as scary as I thought once one gets the hang of it. Especially when I don't plan to use subdivision surfaces as a retopo mesh. I'll go straight for a game mesh.

The problem I have with the pistol is that I'm not quite sure what parts should be made of what materials. The butt is made of wood for sure (like all of the guns from that period), but the triangular thing that holds all those barrels - that I'm not sure. It could be iron/steel or wood. And if it's metal, then how is it attached to the wooden butt? The only reference picture I have of this gun is black and white and I can't see a thing there. All surface of the gun seems to have the same specular reflections so maybe the pistol is wholly made of metal? Sheesh. :wacko:

There are also supposed to be some springs connecting the trigger with the cock and the frizzen with some fixed surface on the butt? I'm not sure where they're supposed to be yet. Oh how easier it would be to have a duckfoot flintlock pistol nearby. :D

Reference image:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/jpg/duckfoot3.jpg

Reference image I also use (despite picturing a different pistol):

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/jpg/brassduck.jpg

post-12523-0-08372600-1405884183_thumb.j

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 1