3DCoat Forums
ajz3d

AJ's doodley doodles

Realy nice.

Remembers me on chirstmas as i was a 6 year old kid.

Trying to construct a robot. I even got myself a screwdriver. ;)

But what I'm really making is establishing a, more-or-less, WYSIWYG pipeline between 3D-Coat's PBR materials and Mantra Surface shader. I think I'm close, but there are still some slight problems with roughness maps.

New item: plastic rivet for motherboard. I'm starting to miss some kind of a fake SSS and semi-transparent shaders inside 3D-Coat.

mobo_bolt.jpg?dl=1

Now to texture an old coffee can and fill it with them, nuts and bolts.

• Like 3

Alright! seen a lot of those old coffee cans fill with nuts and bolts down through the years....

Come on ajZ3d!

Admit that the last pic is a photo

you took with a camera! :)

Nice job!

Damn, you got me. It was shot with hou.node('/obj/cam1') camera armed with 55mm lens. I highly recommend it. Available in your local store. ;)

Coffee can:

uncle_gonzales_coffee_can.jpg?dl=1

Digman, you can now add another one of those old coffee cans to your list. :)

• Like 5

Is that the "Speedy" Gonzales who made coffee breaks so ubiquitous?

That must be his very distant cousin. Uncle Gonzales is nowhere as agile.

And the can rendered in Mantra (using mantrasurface shader GGX). One of the last tests before the main render.

Sorry for a little bit of grain and no DOF, but I didn't have time to render this with better quality settings. SSS and refractions on motherboard rivets take quite some time to calculate.

Any critique is most welcome.

nuts_and_bolts_test.jpg?dl=1

• Like 3

Yeah, probably not. I just realized that at current camera settings, rendering of DOF would come out as free - with little to no impact to overall rendering time. :)

Edited by ajz3d

Aw, guys, please write some critique. Like the floor is too flat (a flat plane with a normal map) or the decals on the can end too soon, or it's bad lighting, or the rivets don't look transparent enough, or there are to many of the rivets in proportion to other objects, or the screwdriver's tip doesn't look worn enough or whatever. Even the most bitter critique is better than none.

To cite after whomever said it: "Negative critique leads to improvement. No critique leads to stagnation".

And the can rendered in Mantra (using mantrasurface shader GGX). One of the last tests before the main render.

Sorry for a little bit of grain and no DOF, but I didn't have time to render this with better quality settings. SSS and refractions on motherboard rivets take quite some time to calculate.

Any critique is most welcome.

nuts_and_bolts_test.jpg?dl=1

Since you did that in Houdini, I'd be interested in knowing what Geo node system you used to fill the can up with those objects...

• Like 2

blue light is very blue

wood looks very shiny

screwdriver is floating in air

rivets don't look transparent enough

screws need more reflection

my humble opinion :blush:

• Like 1

Thanks for your opinions. I'm currently working on the issues that you guys mentioned.

The problem with the floating screwdriver might come from the fact that it touches the floor where its normal map is concave, creating an illusion that it's levitating. I'll see if simply moving the texture of the floor, or the screwdriver, will be enough to fix this.

Since you did that in Houdini, I'd be interested in knowing what Geo node system you used to fill the can up with those objects...

I used RBD point objects with RBD solver. Dropped all the parts from points of a cylindrical mesh through a static RBD funnel straight into the can.

The funnel's collision mesh was converted to a volume and merged with can's collision mesh. This prevented any parts from falling out from the can and only bounce inside it until settling down. Then I waited for the autofreeze DOP to kick in.

That's it. The final test. ;)

yet_another_one_of_those_endless_tests.j

But... I have another item coming in to complete the composition. The Noctua CPU cooler/radiator. Awaiting to be textured in 3D-Coat:

noctua_clay_render_01.jpg?dl=1

• Like 5

The cooler sits in the case of my computer. It's so goddamn huge and heavy that I sometimes wonder how it manages to hold itself in a horizontal position without breaking my motherboard in half. :rofl:

I hold the possession of all of the items pictured here, apart of the coffee can, which is purely a creation of my imagination.

The screwdriver is of LUX manufacture. My favourite. It has a very firm grip and I think I bought it at OBI's or maybe it was Leroy? Screws were gathered by me for aeons, so I don't know who produced them. :)

A beer for anyone who can recognize the face of uncle Gonzales.

Edited by ajz3d

Oh man! That's a little late comment,

but your pistol model is soooo cool!

It's the kind of model that I'd like to sculpt for real.

It is not that I like weapons; I like the attention to details

like the patterns on the grip. Wow. Great piece!

That's it. The final test. ;)

yet_another_one_of_those_endless_tests.j

But... I have another item coming in to complete the composition. The Noctua CPU cooler/radiator. Awaiting to be textured in 3D-Coat:

noctua_clay_render_01.jpg?dl=1

Nice renders.  I have that cooler on my setup, right now...it's a beast.

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your kind comments. :)

What did you use to make the tubing on that cooler?

I'm also very curious about how you made those fan blades.

For all tube shaped objects I used sweep SOP.

A single blade was made with three curves and a skin SOP which then underwent some additional modelling (extrusion, loops, etc.) and was ultimately radially duplicated nine times.

Time to start a long texturing session. :brush:

• Like 1

Amazing renders and great textures. Do you use 3d coat only for textures? Nvil for modeilng and Houdini for render/sim ? It seems to be not ordinary choice of software...

Edited by JoseConseco

Amazing renders and great textures. Do you use 3d coat only for textures? Nvil for modeilng and Houdini for render/sim ? It seems to be not ordinary choice of software...

Hey many thanks Jose. In this particular project I'm indeed using 3D-Coat only for textures.

I know that this combination of programs might seem very unusual, but I feel extremely comfortable with it. NVil is super-slick when it comes to traditional modelling (subdivision modelling in this case), 3D-Coat is fantastically intuitive and fast when dealing with UV unwrapping and texturing (sculpting tools are also top-notch!). Houdini's non-destructive node-based nature enables me to introduce even deepest changes very quickly without loosing too much time to accommodate them upstream. Not to mention it has an AWESOME production-ready renderer and full set of high-end VFX treats.

If only 3D-Coat fully supported UDIM, the pipeline would be ideal for me. I'm loosing A LOT of production time (hours - depending on the complexity of the project) just to deal with workarounds for certain 3D-Coat problems in this department, and some other silly bugs. ;) It's sad to say, but it's always 3D-Coat where I have to solve the most problems. Nevertheless, I love to work in it. :wub: Though I can't help but notice, that 3D-Coat has been initially developed mostly with real-time engines in mind.

Edited by ajz3d