3DCoat Forums

smooth tool

Guest Lottmedia

Guest Lottmedia

did something happen to the smooth tool (sculpt mode) in one of the new versions? It seems to do almost nothing now. I used to make really drastic changes in sculpt to get a feel and then use smooth to work them back but not I can't do that. Did somethign change?

C

I noticed this as well. I'm using the latest demo version for the Mac. The smooth seems very weak compared to every other sculpting program I've used. I haven't used 3D Coat previously, so I don't know how it compares to previous versions. I've tried setting the smooth value as high as 50 and it still effects the mesh very little.

I noticed this as well. I'm using the latest demo version for the Mac. The smooth seems very weak compared to every other sculpting program I've used. I haven't used 3D Coat previously, so I don't know how it compares to previous versions. I've tried setting the smooth value as high as 50 and it still effects the mesh very little.

It depends on other factors too, such as the brush radius, the focal shift and the falloff, and pressure sensitive settings of the tablet, and to some degree, whether or not you have depth set to additive drawing or not (hover over the Depth icon to set this).

If you have made a large lump that you want to reduce, use the magnify tool to reduce it, or even better, use the plane (iron) tool - which also allows you to smooth using SHIFT.

Basically, it seems like the smooth tool is designed more to smooth out rough edges, and remove small detail rather than removing solid masses. it will do that, but it takes time, and the other tools mentioned do that better.

[EDIT] Having said all that... with the current version (2.10.10) my smoothing now seems a little bit unresponsive! Go figure...

The smoothing in the 3.0 Beta is much more powerful. I hope that Andrew is going to provide this in 2.10 at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

And yes - the latest update, 2.10.14 has a much more powerful smooth tool. Thanks Andrew.

[edit] Hrmm. 2.10.15 seems to be lower. Could the power of the smooth tool be variable depending on some other random factor?

Either way, I do wish that the smooth tool was able to smooth normal maps as much as it smooths colour maps